NRS cVest vs Chinook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NRS cVest vs Chinook

Time to retire my cheap Sterns Comfort Paddle PFD and get something better.

I'm leaning towards the NRS Chinook but the NRS cVest seems very similar.

The cVest has a radio pocket but the Chinook looks like it has more storage in general.

Anyone try the cVest?
    I would like to hear your opinions on the two PFDs.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
    Last edited by buzz; 11-05-2015, 02:48 PM.
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

I picked up the cVest about 2 months ago after trying both. Having the radio close at hand in the pocket has been awesome for scanning for traffic / fishing reports / whatnot. Was willing to give up one large pocket (in the chinook) for the radio / medium pocket combo. Fits everything with space to spare. The integrated loops are helpful for securing the radio and my waterproof bagged phone with a small carabiner. Very comfortable, slightly bulky. For warm days that I'm just paddling in just a creek or lake with little to no wind, I take a Hobie inflatable PFD. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Dimo; 11-06-2015, 08:12 AM.
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Last winter I decided to move up from a 20-year old life jacket. I found several NRS models that had the same basic design except for the layout and number of pockets -- all at a reasonable price. I ended up buying the NRS Chinook. I store my VHF radio inside the large right side pocket. I close the zipper halfway, so the radio cannot fall out. I find the small pockets on the outside of larger pockets to be of little use. Maybe others have figured out how to use them. I removed the black gadget with the coiled cable -- it got in my way.

The fit and comfort of PFDs is a personal choice. Several years ago, I ordered a new model that had received positive buzz on the internet. Within seconds of trying it on, I disliked it because the pockets were rigid and stuck out too far in front of me to allow smooth paddling and casting. Yet other users remain very happy with that model. I strongly encourage you to visit a store to try on one or more models to see how you like the way they fit and how the pockets and straps are laid out. Each model comes in different sizes -- make sure you try on the size that fits. Online stores often offer good prices, but keep in mind that local shops are likely to have holiday sales. It is good to keep the local guys in business too.

One other thing to keep in mind -- visibility. Unless you are fishing in areas and ways that require you to be camouflaged, choose a color with strong visibility so other boaters can see you from a ways off (I chose bright orange for my Chinook).
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have the C vest in orange, never tried the Chinook but if it is as comfortable as the C vest, you have a hard decision to make. Like John stated above try both on and see what you like best.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Trouble is the Chinook is so popular I can't seem to find anyone selling the cVest. I've tried the Chinook. Even tried it sitting down in the yak.

And yeah... Orange is the color.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Every retailer I have dealt with in this sport has a great return policy. Including NRS. Order it, try it, and if you don't like it return it. I have done this many times with NRS and many others without incident.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

The cvest seems like it is set up more for salt water then fresh water. I have the chinook and love it, very comfortable and I really like the storage. The small pockets on the outside i store small items, like hooks, wacky rig tool, or the one on the right I will typically stash a granola bar or something for a snack. I fish for bass and use small hooks that can get hung up or break off, so having them ready to without digging through tackle is a big help.
              WS ATAK

Comment

that cvest looks nice. I have the chinook, and would love a better place for my radio. I put it in my pocket and zip it up with the antenna sticking out, it works ok now because I have a mirage drive. But when i was paddling, the antenna got in the way pretty often. it'll probably be a while before I need a new PFD, but I would go with the cvest over the chinook.

also it looks like REI carries it, if you don't like it you have a year to return it.

Comment

Working...
                X