• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got my Kokatat dry suit and the neck gasket is choking me

Am I doing something wrong

Tom Lagana
    www.tomlagana.net

I started putting away dishes and stopped leaving the toilet seat up......the choking subsided (though it often comes back a couple days before payday).
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Ok.....want to use it tomorrow morning so if anyone has some advice that would be great. I put the gasket around a sauce pan in the hopes of stretching it a bit

Tom Lagana
      www.tomlagana.net

Comment

Which one did you get?

Neoprene or latex neck gasket?
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Kokatat meridian. Latex gaskets

Tom Lagana
          www.tomlagana.net

Comment

That is why I bought the SEMI dry suit. The only difference is a neoprene neck gasket instead of Latex and much more comfortable.

I think this link might help with your issue. http://www.nrs.com/boating_tips/how_...eck_gasket.asp

Comment

I tried on a dry top with the latex collar before buying the semi-dry kokatat suit. My wife (who enjoys suffering) was nearly rolling on the floor as I tried to get that thing over my head. Then once on I was afraid I'd have to buy it so I could cut it off. I finally purchased the Tropos semi-dry angler suit with neoprene collar. It's still snug, but much easier to stretch it over my melon.
              You can trim the latex collar a little at a time till it's manageable, if you have the doodads to cut into something you just paid all that money for. Whatever you decide be sure to wear it

Comment

Originally posted by On the fly View Post
                That is why I bought the SEMI dry suit. The only difference is a neoprene neck gasket instead of Latex and much more comfortable.
                Same here.
                Hobie fleet:
                2017 Quest 13
                2015 Outback
                2014 Outback

Comment

Tom, Had the same problem w/ my kokatat. I wanted latex for a lack of seams vs. neoprene. I followed the video instructions for stretching the neck gasket to good results. Placed it over the AC vent with a towel covering it to speed up the action. It took a bit of searching the aisles of home depot and my neighborhood grocer to find jar at the size I wanted. If you want it ready for tomorrow, I'd start now! :-)
                  -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Disclaimer: I do not have one. But while ago when I was researching dry suits, I remember reading something about trimming the latex collar. Double check before deciding to trim.
                    Donnie

2012 Malibu Steath 14
                    2013 Cuda 12

Comment

Stretch and then trim - repeat as necessary.

I have taken allot off of mine and I may have one (or 2) more cuts to make.

There should be cut lines on latex neck gasket that you follow.

Take a SHARP pair of scissors and cut along one line then try it. Keep going until it is snug but wearable. There are other cutting methods out there, but this worked fine for me.

No fun fishing when the neck is too tight. Search on you tube for "trimming latex neck gasket" and you'll get more resources.

Comment

Thanks guys. Put it around a saucepan and it is stretching. Also learned about trimming.thanks agaib

Tom Lagana
                        www.tomlagana.net

Comment

I had same issue... here's the deal. I had to trim is down circumferentially first, then ultimately had to make a vertical single cut downward. Painful to have to do, but it worked great!- Water won't get in and the cut will not continue to extend/ pull apart. Interesting factoid. Believe it or not, most folks who capsize a kayak or even canoe do not submerge their head and neck!- Not really an issue in most circumstances. Esp. with life vest on in cold water!- Just not an issue. Hope this helps.-

Comment

I also trimmed my a bit.took it out this morning to Jonas and I was very comfortable. Caught 3 fish in 1.5 hours before the water got too rough.

Tom Lagana
                            www.tomlagana.net

Comment

I have one, read the instructions about sizing the latex neck gasket, if you look at the inside of the latex gasket, there are circular lines around the gasket, I believe they are 1/8 " apart, I trimmed 3/8" off the gasket, 1/8" at a time until the fit was perfect. Worst case senerio, get a neck measurement, send the suit back to Kokatat and they will trim it to your measurements. Their customer service is superb.
                              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                              X