Greetings - Newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings - Newbie

(Hope this is the right spot for this - if it's not, mods please move it. Didn't see a general "introduce yourself" forum like some boards have.)

Greetings Snaggedline! Total kayak fishing newbie here. I've lived within a short walk of the Chesapeake my entire life. As a kid my dad always had boats and we would go out fishing - casting live bait or trolling. We had some luck here and there trolling, but it was hardly a scientific endeavor. I fished here and there through middle and high school as kids do, doing a whole lot of casting and very little catching. Once high school brought other interests, my fishing suffered greatly. I didn't fish much for about 15 years or so, but this summer/fall I've gotten back into it in a big way and am eager to learn from the community here.

I have a stand-up paddleboard that I was taking out when the water was warmer. I caught a bunch of white perch, some very small rock, and even a keeper or two. As the water got colder, I started to take out my old kayak. It's definitely not a fishing kayak - just a typical run-of-the-mill lake/pond kayak that I got used off Craigslist for $300 a few years ago to putt around in with my girlfriend (we got 2, not 1 double). The kinds of kayaks you guys use are absolutely amazing to me!

So I figured a good place to start (other than just browsing the forums here) was Yak Fish's book, which I received today and finished in one setting. Such awesome info, and I love the methodical, engineer's approach to mapping the water and finding the fish. Such a difference from the scattershot approach, which is honestly all I've ever really known. So I have some decisions to make about stepping up my kayak game for sure.

Here are some fish I've landed this fall - none are anything to write home about compared to fish you guys are used to, but hey, you have to start somewhere, right?

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 8.25.48 PM.jpg

20" caught on the SUP off a spoon. This one was caught in my "home water," in the Patapsco between the Key Bridge and Fort Smallwood Park. Between Stoney & Rock Creeks, for those of you familiar with the area. This is the one that really hooked me, if you'll pardon the pun. Reminded me how much fun reeling in a decent fish can be.

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 8.26.39 PM.jpg

24" Pickerel caught on the SUP right up near shore at Spa Creek in Annapolis. I had no idea there were Pickerel in the Magothy or Severn! Great fighters, as I'm sure you all know.

Screen Shot 2015-11-12 at 9.01.57 PM.jpg

I'd gotten mostly skunked on rockfish for the past month or so until this one, a 22" last night in the kayak. This one took a green 4" storm lure. I lost one that I think was larger that I hooked off a popper when my line broke. 100% my fault - as Alan says in his book, sometimes people just forget how to use the rod when a fish is on! I brainfarted on the drag, and it wasn't nearly loose enough. Lesson learned, the hard way!

It seems to me that, here anyway, the dinner bell has been ringing right at sundown. On the kayak that gives a window of just 20-30 minutes before I've had to pack it in for the night due to the darkness. I was hoping to go out again tonight, but these gale force winds kept me landlocked. I just read the book instead, so it was still a productive night in some respects.

Anyway, nice to meet you all, and I look forward to soaking up some knowledge and seeing some pictures of fish!

-Derek
    2018 Hobie Compass

Greetings - Newbie

Hey Derek, welcome to the forum!! It looks like you're already off to a great start. I also grew up here in the Bay Area fishing from boats but now in my first year of serious fishing from a kayak. This forum has been great for learning but also for (a goal of mine) finding new buds to go out and talk about this mutual passion for slingin bait. Enjoy! Folks are meeting up tomorrow for a meet and greet, so even if you can't fish, come out for lunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

welcome aboard its an addiction.. Check out the meet & greet section in the forum.
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Derek,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice catches!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Welcome aboard Derek. Mike is right. This is an addiction! Starting with Alan's book is an excellent start. I started exactly the same way 6 short months ago and I can't get enough of it.

You will find this forum extremely helpful and newbie friendly

Enjoy the ride! You are taking the first steps on an awesome journey.
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Welcome Derek! I'm glad you enjoyed my book, thanks! ...and nice fish too. I'm chuckling as I imagine your trying to figure out how to use a rod again after hooking a nice fish, lol.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

Welcome aboard Derek. You came to the right place
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Welcome to the site, as stated previously, this is the place to feed your addiction.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                X