Jonas Green 4th of July float

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas Green 4th of July float

Fished Jonas Green with Joe (Friday/ComeOnFish), my girlfriend, and a neighbor kid of Joe's. It wasn't on fire but we had a steady pick of perch from 7-13". I kept about 20, gave half to Joe and brought 12 back. He was keeping them for his neighbor and he had a bunch too. It was a nice day out on the water and everyone caught fish!

We made some fish tacos and now I think my gf has a better understanding of why I'm so tired when I get home. I laughed bc we barely covered two miles today! It was the first kayak fishing trip for my girlfriend on the Revo, she loved it! I think she caught about 10 and some of them were keepers. I probably got 30 or 40? Lost count after 6...

I was using a 4'6" ultralight rod and small marabou jigs or grubs. I forgot how fun perch can be on very light tackle. Joe took a bunch of pictures and we both took video so I'll add them later.

Happy 4th of July everyone!
    Last edited by Redfish12; 07-04-2011, 08:07 PM.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Very cool. I was surprised at the numbers of white perch aficionados when I moved to Maryland, but it's easy to see why that's the case after a day like that. They're (usually) east to find, fun to catch and good to eat. I'm looking forward to the video.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I cannot wait for the videos and pictures too. Perch fishing is fun. I second Bill's comment.

Comment

Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a great time.

I love catching perch on the UL tackle. Makes the whole experience that much better. It also turns a schoolie striper into a 5 min show.

Comment

even better 2 at a time

Comment

Originally posted by surfdog View Post
            even better 2 at a time
            The perch were destroying my marabou jigs at an alarming rate. I guess I got a bad batch of them, but it's hard to complain when you get 12 jigs for about $1.50. After I lost some of the heavier ones I started using two at a time of lighter ones and when the hair fell off I would just add a grub or fishbites to the jig. I think I had 3 or 4 doubles and I think Joe got at least one on film. Pretty fun on my tiny rod.

I don't get the paper anymore (online news now) so all I had for cleaning fish on was pizza boxes from Goody's (which are enormous). Here's a couple of shots before they went under the knife and one before they were tacos...

I'm not a big fan of cabbage, which is a normal ingredient for fish tacos, so I made my own filling out of corn, jalepenos, red onion, cilantro, and some spices. It turned out well with the spiced/battered perch and some XX's.

Comment

man I'm starving now that looks delicious. Looks like fish tacos will be the end result of my next batch of perch. If i ever get out for them this week.

Those jigs on a card never hold up well. The grub solves the problem when the feathers pull out. How did you rig them. Dropper loops with a sinker on the bottom or where you fishing shore structure?

Comment

yummy!!

Comment

Thats good eatin!
                  GB

Comment

Round two of fish tacos and Joe's video. I will post mine later on.

http://youtu.be/NQRpBgXKmHo

Comment

Working...
                    X