Battery powered fish finders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery powered fish finders

Afternoon.... I'm just getting into the game, officially as of tomorrow, with the purchase of a Pelican Strike 120X. I want to get a small fish finder/GPS combo that has the capability of running on AA batteries. Any suggestions
    Jim McFalls
    MSG US Army Retired
    US Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors Class of 1998

2018 Hobie Revo 13 - Sea Grass
    2015 Elie Coast 120XE Angler - Yellow/White
    2015 Pelican Unison 136t Tandem - Orange/White
    Instagram - @jmcfalls1960
    YouTube - Jimbo the Fishin' Musician

Originally posted by Jim McFalls View Post
    Afternoon.... I'm just getting into the game, officially as of tomorrow, with the purchase of a Pelican Strike 120X. I want to get a small fish finder/GPS combo that has the capability of running on AA batteries. Any suggestions
    First off congratulations for the new Yak and getting into hobby, and welcome to the board. You can run any fish finder off of 8-10 AA batteries, you would just need a holder like this
    http://www.amazon.com/8pcs-Cells-Bat...battery+holder

Then just wire the same way you would if you are hooking it up to a normal 12V battery. For maximum run time I would go with a black and white fish finder, since a color one with more advanced features will draw more current and shorten the life of the batteries.

Just a note if you are getting a full function (GPS Down/Side scan etc) color fish finder or planning on one in the future I would get a 7AH+ 12 SLA battery and a charger. Or check out the Humminbird portable fish finders they come with a battery and charger at a decent price.
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Welcome aboard!

While it is tempting to go with a cheaper alternative when you first start out to keep the cost down, it ultimately ends up costing a whole lot more as soon as you realize that wasn't the way to start. If you are worried about how much this costs, save up and jump in the sport later with the better equipment you really want, rather than what you can "afford" now. In the long run that will be cheaper, and you will have a better experience.
      Hobie fleet:
      2017 Quest 13
      2015 Outback
      2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
        Welcome aboard!

While it is tempting to go with a cheaper alternative when you first start out to keep the cost down, it ultimately ends up costing a whole lot more as soon as you realize that wasn't the way to start. If you are worried about how much this costs, save up and jump in the sport later with the better equipment you really want, rather than what you can "afford" now. In the long run that will be cheaper, and you will have a better experience.
        I concur with this.

Some things are fine to go cheap with, but in the case of fish finder batteries there isn't any reason to go with a model that uses a bunch of AA batteries. You'll find only a few dollars' difference between rechargeable AA batteries and a single, larger marine grade battery. Recharging a single marine battery after a weekend of fishing is a pain in the ass. I'd hate to be dealing with 8 of them.

Suggest looking for other ways to save.
        I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
        Garmin Echomap 93sv
        RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Also, to add, I learned more standard amp hours (like 12AH) of the 12V battery actually cost much less than a some of the smaller AHs like 7 or 8. If you figure out storage you can get more charge for less $$ with size and weight slightly larger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

Thank you for the advice!
            Jim McFalls
            MSG US Army Retired

Comment

Thanks!!!
              Jim McFalls
              MSG US Army Retired

Comment

I have a hummingbird 197c that I got from basspro. About 150.00 comes with finder, battery, charger ,transducer and its all in a really nice decktop bag. I just attached a couple small straps to the deck and ran the cable through the hull and out a hole i drilled in the drain plug in the back. Transducer mounts on the back with a suction cup. It is a basic color unit and the fish location and bottom image and depth are pretty accurate. I find it perfect for my kayak. For an extra 40 bucks you can get an adapter to mount the transducer through a scupper hole. I have ran the unit for a couple days and never had any battery issues.

Comment

Thanks!!

Thank you all for the advice. Very helpful indeed!!!
                  Jim McFalls
                  MSG US Army Retired

Comment

Here's the battery that runs my Lowrance Mark 4 for not much more than AAs would cost you.
                    UB1250 5amp
                    Price: $14.59 & FREE Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Haven't been keeping up with what is available in FF/Chartplotters but you should be able to get in the game for a fairly reasonable price. Think I paid $99 after rebate for the Mark 4 a few years back. That and the $15 battery and I'm still set three years in. Do not get a unit without GPS, I find I use the chart plotting and GPS as much or more than the sonar.

The battery I linked is only a five amp and is plenty for the Mark 4 which is just black and white and has fairly low draw. If you get a different unit you may need a higher capacity battery that can be had for just a little more. Check the draw of what you are considering and get a battery to match. As others have said the AA s are just going to be more trouble and not much of a cost savings.
                    Last edited by DonV; 11-14-2015, 11:51 PM.

Comment

As mentioned above... you'll probably end up getting a more robust battery set up.
                      You'll also end up making a water tight battery box.. there are threads here with pictures of what others have done.
                      Some guys have temporarily tossed the battery in a water tight bag.
                      I don't know how adventurous you are, and prepared for cold weather, and where you will be going...
                      So you might only use your AA battery pack a few times... and then have all winter to make a proper electrical system.

With all that said... I was impatient to use my FF while my battery was being shipped... and I made a AA battery pack.
                      I had all the parts, rechargeable batteries, wires etc... except for the fuse.. so I wasn't put out except for a little time.
                      And thusly when I got my "real" battery just made the watertight box and swapped the AA pack out.

So yes it can be done... but you'll eventually go with a more robust set up.
                      Don't forget you'll also need a charger... (oh great the fellow says.. more money spent)...

Many people suggested a "Battery Tender Junior" model 012-0123 and that is what I got.
                      http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender.../dp/B000CITK8S
                      $25
                      Maybe you can find cheaper or an alternative some people might suggest.

Happy fishin' !

Comment

Working...
                      X