December 12 -- Last Meet and Greet of 2015 -- Jonas Green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tech11165 View Post
    I'll probably target the pickerel. Kayak fishing is new to me so I am still learning my way. I am not new to fishing just new to kayak fishing. I am open to any tips or suggestions. I never targeted pickerel so I will need to tips on that.
    John
    Pickerel are available in many locations within a mile or two of Severn River public launch points, including Jonas Green. I spent a lot of time over the past two weeks exploring different creeks and coves to see if I can find pickerel. As of Friday, I caught fish in nine Severn different tributaries after launching at Jonas Green, Tucker St, or Truxtun Park. Your co-hosts for the meet and greet (Mark and J. Rentch) have fished the Severn numerous times this fall and can also offer their tips on optimizing your catching. Here are few general tips.

Where to fish: Once you are on the water look for shorelines with fallen wood or grassy areas -- some people like casting to docks, but I have not done well using that approach). A wide gradually sloping edge is more productive than a steeply sloped shoreline that drops off quickly. Almost all the Severn pickerel I have found are in 3 ft depth or less, and most are up close to the shoreline. Sometimes you don't get a strike until the lure is near the kayak -- in those cases, the pickerel probably followed the lure for a while before making itself known. On the last two days, I found several pickerel on a very shallow flat that got sun before other areas in that creek did. I threw all the way toward shore into 6" of water and had a bunch of quick strikes and follows.

In most situations, don't waste time throwing your lure to open water spots of greater than 3 ft depth. The pickerel are rarely there. One exception is when you have a very cold air temp the night before. The surface layers of water cool down to near the air temp, but the bottom water remains in the mid- to upper 40s. On those mornings, I have had some luck casting to moderate-depth bowl-like areas with 3-6 ft depth.

What Lure or Bait: Pickerel love a live minnow, but you can find plenty of pickerel using lures. I have caught loads of them this fall using a 3" paddletail or a 4" Gulp swimming mullet on a 1/8-oz jighead (don't use a much heavier jighead -- you will have trouble keeping the lure off the bottom). They also can be caught on small safety-pin style spinners, inline spinners, small hard plastic plugs, and others -- almost any small lure will get their attention.

How to Fish: Cast out as close to the shoreline as possible and work the lure back at a slow speed (keep the lure off the bottom or you will get gunk on the lure). Try to be as quiet as possible when near your target zones. Don't drop your paddle or rod onto the kayak in a noisy way. When pedaling or paddling, use gentle quiet strokes. I have found that when I make a circuit of a creek or pond, then do a second circuit an hour later, the bite is much slower. Likewise if another angler has been working the shorelines earlier that day, you are likely to have a slower catching day when you go over the same waters.

How Will the Fish Behave: You are likely to feel taps or gentle strikes or even see the fish following your lure through the water. Pickerel are curious and often nip at a bait or lure. Although some times you feel a clear strike, you may also feel just a gentle tap (braided line and light or ultralight rods make this more evident) or even just an increase in weight on the line. Sometimes that means you snagged a leaf or twig, but often the extra weight means you have a toothy visitor. Frequently the pickerel pick up the lure in their mouth and hold it there without clamping down hard. When you begin reeling, you will feel weight or get a quick head shake. Then the pickerel loses interest, opens its mouth, and releases the lure. For every fish I catch, I get perhaps three to five cases of "grab and release". Go ahead and cast again -- maybe the fish will bite harder the next time.

I will be there on Sat morning and can offer more tips then. I hope the weather is cooperative next Sat.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That's an outstanding summary, John.

Thank you.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I might be able to make it depending on how my shoulder is doing. I caught my first pickerel in Oct over in homeport area going after WP. Not a monster but the one I missed fishing the docks was.

Are they leader shy? I was thinking about using 1/4oz kastmasters fiited with a circle hook and a black metal leader.
        PigPen - Mt Airy
        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
          I might be able to make it depending on how my shoulder is doing. I caught my first pickerel in Oct over in homeport area going after WP. Not a monster but the one I missed fishing the docks was.

Are they leader shy? I was thinking about using 1/4oz kastmasters fiited with a circle hook and a black metal leader.
          I do not recommend using a metal leader. I use one to two feet of 20-lb mono leader and have very few breakoffs. I suspect a metal leader would be more visible and would restrict the action of the lure.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post

I'll put you on the fishing list. How about lunch?

I think a Kastmaster will work but you might want to downsize to 1/8 oz. You'll either have a hard time keeping the 1/4 oz. lure off the bottom in the shallow water we'll be fishing or you will donate it to the submerged branches where pickerels hangout.

Like John, I use mono or fluorocarbon leaders in 10 or 15 pounds. Despite their teeth pickerel rarely slice through leaders. Most of the time I lip hook them. On those occasions where they take a lure deeper they have never cut my leader. But it helps to check your leader for fraying after you catch one.

Regarding your Kastmaster, it's somewhat similar to a Dardevle (yes, that's how it's spelled) spoon. I read recently that a red and white Dardevle spoon is a popular lure for pike, which are the larger cousins of pickerel. I don't have any Dardevles but I wanted to test that color pattern on pickerels. So I made a jig spinner with a white blade, white head and red bucktail and last week I caught two nice pickerel with it. But to be honest, I've yet to find a color combination that deters them. I think if you put something in their field of vision they often will follow it and many times they will bite it. That's why knowing where to look and accurate casting are helpful in catching them.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Anyone from the Staunton area going. I'd love to attend

Comment

SMartin,

Please do.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

If I came, I would be trailering my kayak. It would be good if someone from my area would be going and that knows where to go. Is there a place to launch from where I can keep the trailer. Also, If I go, and because it is so far, I would want to car camp overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by SMartin View Post
                    If I came, I would be trailering my kayak. It would be good if someone from my area would be going and that knows where to go. Is there a place to launch from where I can keep the trailer. Also, If I go, and because it is so far, I would want to car camp overnight.
                    Truxton Park has a ramp and parking for your trailer:

http://www.recreationparks.net/MD/an...park-annapolis

I'm sorry. I cannot help you with nearby overnight camping options. Perhaps others viewing here can.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Posting to see who will target Striper in deeper water. After studying the charts I see a few places I'd like to check out and interested in bouncing some ideas off whoever else is doing the same.
                      -Jon
                      Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                        Posting to see who will target Striper in deeper water. After studying the charts I see a few places I'd like to check out and interested in bouncing some ideas off whoever else is doing the same.
                        I'm planning to pursue stripers first, then pickerel later in the morning. There is a deep hole right next to the launch, under the bridge, that I plan to pursue first thing.
                        2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Hey guys, count me in for fishing! Lunch is up in the air for me.

First time specifically targeting pickerel, but with the guidance provided so far Im confident I'll land one. Thanks John Veil for the tips!

R/
                          Steve M.

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                            Pickerel are available in many locations within a mile or two of Severn River public launch points, including Jonas Green. I spent a lot of time over the past two weeks exploring different creeks and coves to see if I can find pickerel. As of Friday, I caught fish in nine Severn different tributaries after launching at Jonas Green, Tucker St, or Truxtun Park. Your co-hosts for the meet and greet (Mark and J. Rentch) have fished the Severn numerous times this fall and can also offer their tips on optimizing your catching. Here are few general tips.

Where to fish: Once you are on the water look for shorelines with fallen wood or grassy areas -- some people like casting to docks, but I have not done well using that approach). A wide gradually sloping edge is more productive than a steeply sloped shoreline that drops off quickly. Almost all the Severn pickerel I have found are in 3 ft depth or less, and most are up close to the shoreline. Sometimes you don't get a strike until the lure is near the kayak -- in those cases, the pickerel probably followed the lure for a while before making itself known. On the last two days, I found several pickerel on a very shallow flat that got sun before other areas in that creek did. I threw all the way toward shore into 6" of water and had a bunch of quick strikes and follows.

In most situations, don't waste time throwing your lure to open water spots of greater than 3 ft depth. The pickerel are rarely there. One exception is when you have a very cold air temp the night before. The surface layers of water cool down to near the air temp, but the bottom water remains in the mid- to upper 40s. On those mornings, I have had some luck casting to moderate-depth bowl-like areas with 3-6 ft depth.

What Lure or Bait: Pickerel love a live minnow, but you can find plenty of pickerel using lures. I have caught loads of them this fall using a 3" paddletail or a 4" Gulp swimming mullet on a 1/8-oz jighead (don't use a much heavier jighead -- you will have trouble keeping the lure off the bottom). They also can be caught on small safety-pin style spinners, inline spinners, small hard plastic plugs, and others -- almost any small lure will get their attention.

How to Fish: Cast out as close to the shoreline as possible and work the lure back at a slow speed (keep the lure off the bottom or you will get gunk on the lure). Try to be as quiet as possible when near your target zones. Don't drop your paddle or rod onto the kayak in a noisy way. When pedaling or paddling, use gentle quiet strokes. I have found that when I make a circuit of a creek or pond, then do a second circuit an hour later, the bite is much slower. Likewise if another angler has been working the shorelines earlier that day, you are likely to have a slower catching day when you go over the same waters.

How Will the Fish Behave: You are likely to feel taps or gentle strikes or even see the fish following your lure through the water. Pickerel are curious and often nip at a bait or lure. Although some times you feel a clear strike, you may also feel just a gentle tap (braided line and light or ultralight rods make this more evident) or even just an increase in weight on the line. Sometimes that means you snagged a leaf or twig, but often the extra weight means you have a toothy visitor. Frequently the pickerel pick up the lure in their mouth and hold it there without clamping down hard. When you begin reeling, you will feel weight or get a quick head shake. Then the pickerel loses interest, opens its mouth, and releases the lure. For every fish I catch, I get perhaps three to five cases of "grab and release". Go ahead and cast again -- maybe the fish will bite harder the next time.

I will be there on Sat morning and can offer more tips then. I hope the weather is cooperative next Sat.
                            Based on your techniques it seems pickerel might take a fly. Any thoughts?
                            2015 Hobie Outback
                            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

John,

I've caught them in Severn tribs on my fly rod with Clouser Minnows in cool temperatures like now.

I've also caught them in the same waters on the fly with surface poppers in warmer weather. They hit top water flies viciously.

Recently, I've been catching so many with Fat Sams and Spinners that I have left my fly rod home. But I've been thinking about trying Clousers again.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by cryptotek View Post
                                Hey guys, count me in for fishing! Lunch is up in the air for me.

First time specifically targeting pickerel, but with the guidance provided so far Im confident I'll land one. Thanks John Veil for the tips!

R/
                                Steve M.
                                Got you on the list.

Welcome!
                                Mark
                                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                                X