Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to purchase 1st kayak

Hello,

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2004 Hobie Mirage Tandem for $1500. The current owner has only used it a few time in a fresh water lake and says it is in great condition. He isn't a fisherman, so the kayak doesn't have rod holders or any fishing accessories. I plan on using it 90% of the time in freshwater reservoirs (Piney Run, Libery, etc...) with my 13 year old son, and maybe a few times a year in the bay (Choptank, Bay Bridge). Two questions. Is this a decent deal? Can you insert the mirage drives after you launch and are on the water, or do they have to be in from the get-go? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Most of us put the drives in after launching. As soon as you're deep enough that the fins won't hit bottom, that takes about a foot to 18" of water under the kayak.

I can't offer an opinion on the fairness of the deal, that kayak is 11+ years old...hopefully some of the folks that have been on Hobies in that generation of kayak will lend an opinion.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

There have been a lot of advances from the Hobie engineering team since 2004 plus kayaks stored in the sun for that many years can become brittle. It's your call and budget, but I'd go for something at least 2008 or newer in a Hobie if at all possible as that's when the click-and-go mirage drive system was implemented.
      Used to fish more.

Comment

Take note that Hobie offers several tandem models. I purchased the Oasis primarily because it comes with a rudder and mirage drives. A friend gave me good advice that a rudder is very helpful if you want to go out into the Bay or other tributaries that have tides or stronger currents. I can't speak to it personally but the lack of rudder may not be as much of an issue in fresh water spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The seller has dropped the price to $1100 now. I haven't been able to see the kayak in person, but the seller sent multiple pictures and it looks to be in decent shape. My concerns are that the seats don't appear to be adjustable, so the distance between seat and pedals is fixed, and the pedal system is permanently mounted and not the click-and-go that Redfish12 mentioned above. Are my concerns valid? Thank you.

DSC08285.jpg

Comment

The drives are definitely removable, not sure why they would have stored it that way. The drives lock in with those turning cams and can be taken out by unlocking the cams. The peddle distance is adjustable so don't worry about adjusting, you should be fine. I would try to test paddle it before you buy if the seller is willing so that you can make sure it is a good fit for you.
            Used to fish more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Stik View Post
              Thanks for the replies. The seller has dropped the price to $1100 now. I haven't been able to see the kayak in person, but the seller sent multiple pictures and it looks to be in decent shape. My concerns are that the seats don't appear to be adjustable, so the distance between seat and pedals is fixed, and the pedal system is permanently mounted and not the click-and-go that Redfish12 mentioned above. Are my concerns valid? Thank you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17741[/ATTACH]
              To answer your original question, it's an *alright* deal at best. Not because it's a bad kayak, but because you're trying to fish from it. You probably aren't going to get into a pedal Hobie for less than a grand. That said, for $1100 your ass is going to be wet most of the time, your back will hurt if you do prolonged excursions, you don't have any auxiliary fishing accessories (FF mounts, rod holders, anchor trolley, etc.). Pedaling that yak solo will be frustrating as well.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look hard at a used canoe for you and your son. You'll be much more comfortable, have plenty of storage, and it will cost a fraction of the price.

If you keep your eyes peeled, you'll find much newer (solo) Hobies more suitable for fishing in the $1600 range.
              I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
              Garmin Echomap 93sv
              RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

I think Huntrava's canoe suggestion is excellent given your desire to fish with your son in the same boat.

That said, newer Hobie Mirage Drives are adjustable to accommodate most leg lengths -- unless perhaps you were a center on your high school hoops team! It looks from the photo like that older drive is adjustable also.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Here's one here and I'm sure he would come down some.
                  https://harrisonburg.craigslist.org/boa/5273992193.html

Comment

Working...
                  X