Another New Kayaker (Eastern Shore)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another New Kayaker (Eastern Shore)

As a new member, I wanted to introduce myself and thank the community for such an incredible wealth of information.

After doing a couple trips last season with a friend and on rental kayaks, my wife and I bought a pair of used kayaks to get started with kayak fishing.

I live on the eastern shore of Maryland and fish primarily in nearby rivers and their many tributaries. As a new kayaker I was shocked at the ability of fishing kayaks to reach productive fishing areas in these waterways.

I also fish some local small ponds and find a kayak to be the perfect choice for many of those places.

I may do some saltwater fishing eventually, but want to learn a little more before getting involved with that much.

In addition to fishing, we also do a considerable amount of exploring and photography. We also plan to do some clamming, oystering and crabbing with the boats.

I fished extensively in freshwater for several years but took a 30 year break, so the last couple seasons I have had to re-learn a few things.

I have fished in saltwater most of my life and most of my experience was on larger boats. Going from a 6000 lb gas guzzler to a 40 lb platform is quite a difference, but I really enjoy kayaking.

I look forward to learning more about kayak fishing thru this forum.
    Last edited by esmd; 07-05-2011, 06:34 AM. Reason: grammar

Welcome aboard- your story is also the same story as a lot of us on the forum- this is my first year as a kayak owner, and I have about a dozen fishing trips under the keel- most in salt water in the Bay, but recently in the creeks and rivers that make up the Potomac river system. Rigging your kayak the way you want to fish is one of the pleasures of this ever growing sport- some have outfitted their yaks with combination fish finder/gps units while others are very basic bare bones boats- every trip I learn new things and gain confidence in the boat and where it can go. I am sure you will find the foks on this forum helpful, friendly and informative as I have.

Good luck and hope to see you on the water soon.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Welcome aboard

Comment

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you live in a primo area for kayak fishing.
        Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
        Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Welcome!! If you ever want to fish the bays behind OC or Assteague let me know. Best day for me are Tuesday and Thursday.

Comment

Welcome aboard. You will find everyone on this forum are friendly and helpful. I am sure you too can teach us a thing or too.

Comment

Welcome to the site.

Comment

welcome...hope to see you out there!
                Hobie Revolution 13
                Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

welcome kinda new my self these guys are great
                  Bad day fishing is better than a good day at work .

Comment

welcome, see you out there

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

I have a million questions concerning local fishing and will post a few of them shortly.

Comment

Welcome to the addiction, I am also on the Eastern Shore in the Centreville(QA) area, so if you ever need company just post where you are going and usually you will get company for the trip.
                        Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
                        LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

Working...
                        X