Gloves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloves

Any recommendations for warm waterproof gloves?

Hobie Revo 13
    www.tomlagana.net

Glacier Gloves. I don't have them, but wish I would have sprung for them over the BPS neoprene gloves I bought this time last year.

These are the ones I'm buying next:

http://www.glacierglove.com/shop/bri...curved-finger/
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

2nd on glacier gloves.
      John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
      Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Do you know how they are cut? I have big hands and most XXL don't fit. Are they roomy?
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14
        Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
          Do you know how they are cut? I have big hands and most XXL don't fit. Are they roomy?
          First of all, get Glacier Bay Gloves. I use cheap one, Icy Bay:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...fitness&sr=1-1

Do not buy regular neoprene gloves (wetsuit gloves). They are not waterproofed (meaning not wind proofed). So when wind blows because the water vaporized, your fingers will be very cold.

I wear large regular gloves and also wear large icy Bay. If you order now you will have plenty of time to return and get a right size. The gloves can be punctured by fins and hooks. Even though water comes inside because worn fingers, they keep my hands warm. They are easy to wash in laundry machine (hand wash setting). I usually place the gloves (inside out) on the floor air vent.

I have three pairs and I carry two pairs at a time. One (in a zip bag) is always in the tackle bag. I learned the lesson - gloves are the most important tackle in winter.

You will see my hands were in the cold water during winter Dec-Feb on my youtube videos. I can cast with gloves on. Only thing I can't do is tying knots with gloves on.

I used the gloves in Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries, fresh water in MD and VA when the day time air temp was 27 F and up (The morning temp was in teens sometimes)

joe
          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-17-2015, 07:15 AM.
          Fish like there's no tomorrow.
          Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

For the price, +3 on Glacier glove.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

NRS has some gloves on sale that look nice - specifically designed for paddlers:

http://www.nrs.com/category/2577.262...ulating-gloves

Comment

Glacier Glove, hands down the best (pun intended).

BPS has a rack of them directly outside the fly-fishing section. At $24.99 each, they are worth their weight in gold during cold, windy days.

I would suggest getting one size larger than you think you need, this way you are not putting undue stress in the taped/glued seams of the neoprene - the seams are not stitched.

-manny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOBIE
                Ivory Dune
                13ft Revolution
                -manny

Hobie Outback
                Wilderness Systems 130T
                Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Few things consider for fishing gloves in winter:

1. Are they water proof? - The gloves can get will be wet. But the gloves should retain the water (outside of gloves for some time period) when wind blows. If water on the gloves vaporized fast by the wind (8-15 knots), there will be heat loss on the gloves. This makes the fingers freezing. Some gloves are water proof, but they can't retain the water on the gloves (outside for some time period) when wind blows.
                  2. Can you paddle with gloves on?
                  3. Can you cast with gloves on (spinning and casting reels)?
                  4. Can you operate electronics with gloves on? In my case, can I operate GoPro with gloves on?

I don't buy gloves with finger holes - these gloves aren't for kayak-fishing.
                  I take off gloves only when I tie knots.

Here is a sample review on a certain brand/model -- He is a paddler not a kayak fishermen. I think his gloves were too big. The gloves weren't tightly fit. The gloves were too thick. And his wet gloves loose heat rapidly when wind blows:

I gave a bad review because it was cold and leaked, and left my hands wet all day. At least it gripped the paddle very well. I then ordered a different model on the recommendation of customer service because it was said to be waterproof, warm and "grippy". I used the new gloves yesterday and again today. The new gloves lack any kind of manual dexterity. It is the exact opposite of "grippy". In a short time, my hands felt tired and cramped from trying to keep my paddle from turning. The first time I accidentally dipped my hand in the water, cold water soaked into the glove and didn't warm up. After 20 minutes, my fingers were freezing and I judged the glove to be counter-productive. I took them off and paddled with bare hands, which was preferable to having heavy wet gloves on, because at least without the gloves, my fingers dried out and I had no problem controling the paddle. The gloves soaked up water and retained it. Why put a tight "hydrocuff" on a glove that lets water in through the fingers? The gloves were very difficult to get on, even when dry due to the hydrocuff, and they're very difficult to get off when saturated with cold water. The gloves say "Titanium" on the tops, but what purpose does titanium serve with this kind of performance? You would never pair this glove with a drysuit in cold weather. The glove seriously impairs manual dexterity, as evidenced by the difficulty in getting the second glove on once you're already wearing the first one. It was very difficult to operate my GPS wearing these gloves. Eventually, I took them off and finished the trip bare handed with the gloves between my legs under the spray skirt.

Joe
                  Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                  Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I switch between two options.

Option 1: glacier gloves.

Option 2: before I got the glacier gloves I used cheap pair of dish washing gloves as a "base layer" and then a pair of thinsulate fingerless gloves with the mitten flip over covers. They have a slot for a hand warmer on really cold days. Sometimes I still prefer this route.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I just ordered the Angler version from Amazon. I will report on sizing when I get them.
                      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                        I just ordered the Angler version from Amazon. I will report on sizing when I get them.
                        I don't know which ones you ordered, but I can't order gloves online. I don't have meat fists; but do have larger than normal hands with long fingers.
                        Hobie fleet:
                        2017 Quest 13
                        2015 Outback
                        2014 Outback

Comment

Working...
                        X