Stores that have drysuits in stock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jhoss View Post
    Does being "sealed in" keep you warmer and thus eliminate the need for heavier layers? I was wondering how much room I need underneath for layering...I am a notoriously cold potato...

Do you ever layer a jacket or anything other than a PFD on top?

Thanks for everyone's feedback
    It doesn't eliminate the need for layers. It does create dead air space, with a wind breaker shell. So you don't need as much layering as you would without the windbreaker shell. In my experience, feet still get cold, if you wear anything on the outside that holds water. Of course exposed skin, neck up and hands, still need your normal cold weather provisions.

I haven't used a jacket layer outside the drysuit, just my PFD on top. Might be a good option though; especially if it's going to warm up and you plan to shed it later.
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

I stopped by the Annapolis Canoe and Kayak shop this afternoon. They had at least 4 drysuits hanging on a rack in the store. I am not in the market for one, so I did not check the brands or sizes. But for those who want to see and touch one, visit that store.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have a Kokatat SuperNova Angler in XL that I plan on selling here just as soon as I find somewhere with the waders I want in-stock so I can try them on. While I am usually an enthusiastic online shopper, I suspect that waders will require trying on to find the best fit.
        Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
        Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
          I have a Kokatat SuperNova Angler in XL that I plan on selling here just as soon as I find somewhere with the waders I want in-stock so I can try them on. While I am usually an enthusiastic online shopper, I suspect that waders will require trying on to find the best fit.
          Where are you located? Bass Pro will have most waders in stock that you can try on. Store and cheaper brands in the shoe section, Simms waders in the "Fly Shop". I have a pair of Simms neoprene sock waders, they are nice.

Edit add: Why would you sell the Kokatat in favor of waders?
          Last edited by Cowpokey; 11-24-2015, 08:44 PM.
          Hobie fleet:
          2017 Quest 13
          2015 Outback
          2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
            Where are you located? Bass Pro will have most waders in stock that you can try on. Store and cheaper brands in the shoe section, Simms waders in the "Fly Shop". I have a pair of Simms neoprene sock waders, they are nice.

Edit add: Why would you sell the Kokatat in favor of waders?
            I am south of Annapolis and checked out BassPro last week. I didn't see any waders that fit what I was looking for (waist belt and pass through hand-warmer pocket). Having read what felt like a million reviews, I am looking hard at the Orvis Guide waders, but have yet to find anywhere local that stocks them.

My issue with the Kokatat is fit. To get my huge neck comfortable I had to go up to an XL, which is just crazy long in the arms and legs. The bunching fabric makes it a pain to paddle and cast, and I assume the legs will cause the same issues with peddling. I also hate the lack of a hand-warmer pocket, last winter I ended every trip due to frozen hands. I am getting into wade-fishing as well so I would get a ton more use out of waders in general. I plan on buying a Slayer 10 as my "serious" kayak so it's not likely I am going to venture far from shore or head out in anything but calm conditions.
            Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
            Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
              I am south of Annapolis and checked out BassPro last week. I didn't see any waders that fit what I was looking for (waist belt and pass through hand-warmer pocket). Having read what felt like a million reviews, I am looking hard at the Orvis Guide waders, but have yet to find anywhere local that stocks them.

My issue with the Kokatat is fit. To get my huge neck comfortable I had to go up to an XL, which is just crazy long in the arms and legs. The bunching fabric makes it a pain to paddle and cast, and I assume the legs will cause the same issues with peddling. I also hate the lack of a hand-warmer pocket, last winter I ended every trip due to frozen hands. I am getting into wade-fishing as well so I would get a ton more use out of waders in general. I plan on buying a Slayer 10 as my "serious" kayak so it's not likely I am going to venture far from shore or head out in anything but calm conditions.
              I don't think BPS carries Orvis waders. Are there any real flyfishing shops in your area? That would probably be the best bet to find Orvis waders on the shelf. I think the Simms Guide model waders have the hand warmer pocket you're looking for....but those waders are pretty expensive.

It sounds like you might be one of the few people that would actually benefit from having a custom suit made, if the off the shelf doesn't fit. You might want to contact Kokatat and see if they can modify the suit you have (bigger neck, shorter sleeves and inseam); might be cheaper than waders and you would still be safe for a frosty swim in the bay.

Edit add: I'm going to contact Kokatat and see what they will charge to add a drop seat zipper to my daughters "youth" suit. They say that modifications can be made by sending their products back to the company.
              Hobie fleet:
              2017 Quest 13
              2015 Outback
              2014 Outback

Comment

Backwater in Monkton used to stock Simms. It's a great little flyshop

Comment

Shanks Mare in Wrightsville, PA stocks the Stohlquist EZ. I just picked one up. I love it.

Comment

Working...
                  X