Misspelled or misused terms in kayak fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misspelled or misused terms in kayak fishing

While spelling accuracy is certainly not a prerequisite for being a good fisherman, I chuckle when I see some terms that are often misspelled or misused on Snaggedline. I think much of the misspelling comes from typing on a smart phone or other device that suggests words or automatically fills in words. Here are few of my favorites. Please accept this in the sense of humor and not as criticism of any members for poor spelling. The first two are biggies that I see often. The others are less common but are quirky or funny.

1) Peddle vs. Pedal - Those of us using Hobie and Native products enjoy our pedal-drive (not peddle-drive) kayaks. As we move along, we are pedaling not peddling (unless you are selling something while moving).

2) Striper vs. Stripper - Obviously a striper (common term for a striped bass -- Morone saxatilis) is different from a stripper. Although some Snaggedline members may eagerly seek out both of these, they do offer different types of rewards for actually catching one.

3) Bobber vs. Boober - We all know what a bobber is, but I am not completely sure what a boober is. It conjures up interesting images, but is not an item I carry in my tackle box.

4) Poplar Island vs Popular Island - The series of islands at the mouth of Eastern Bay that have been made into a dredged material site are called Poplar Island. I have never seen Popular Island on a map.

Please feel free to add more examples to this list.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Boober is the Internet search engine for fishing. Ex. What kind of fish is that? I don't know Boober it and find out.

Tom Lagana
    www.tomlagana.net

Comment

According to the urban dictionary a boober is the world's best boyfriend, someone who will do anything for her. I imagine some folks need to be a boober to get to go fishing without guilt.
      Mike
      Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Lagana View Post
        Boober is the Internet search engine for fishing. Ex. What kind of fish is that? I don't know Boober it and find out.

Tom Lagana
        www.tomlagana.net
        My wife and I and our friends enjoyed your guitar playing at Jalapenos last evening. We did not know it was you until we walked out at the end of the meal and saw your CDs on display. You were in the middle of a song, so I did not interrupt.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for not interrupting. It's hard to talk and play Bach. But next time please say hello. I am there every Friday.

Tom Lagana
          www.tomlagana.net

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
            While spelling accuracy is certainly not a prerequisite for being a good fisherman, I chuckle when I see some terms that are often misspelled or misused on Snaggedline. I think much of the misspelling comes from typing on a smart phone or other device that suggests words or automatically fills in words. Here are few of my favorites. Please accept this in the sense of humor and not as criticism of any members for poor spelling. The first two are biggies that I see often. The others are less common but are quirky or funny.

1) Peddle vs. Pedal - Those of us using Hobie and Native products enjoy our pedal-drive (not peddle-drive) kayaks. As we move along, we are pedaling not peddling (unless you are selling something while moving).

2) Striper vs. Stripper - Obviously a striper (common term for a striped bass -- Morone saxatilis) is different from a stripper. Although some Snaggedline members may eagerly seek out both of these, they do offer different types of rewards for actually catching one.

3) Bobber vs. Boober - We all know what a bobber is, but I am not completely sure what a boober is. It conjures up interesting images, but is not an item I carry in my tackle box.

4) Poplar Island vs Popular Island - The series of islands at the mouth of Eastern Bay that have been made into a dredged material site are called Poplar Island. I have never seen Popular Island on a map.

Please feel free to add more examples to this list.
            Eye dew my best, knot shore ewe knead two crit a size me in pub lick?
            Hobie fleet:
            2017 Quest 13
            2015 Outback
            2014 Outback

Comment

pokey-- the first one is mine-- I used the word peddlers instead of pedaling.

I am so glad that my grammar can be corrected. I will spend more time checking my grammar before posting ( nah, just prolly post less).
              Red 2015 Hobie Outback
              Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

bridge pilings vs pylons...
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                X