Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best kayak tackle organization or crate you've seen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the best kayak tackle organization or crate you've seen?

Looking for opinions and pictures [emoji3]!

I am considering a tackle bag that'll fit in my crate. I'm also thinking of a slotted system for Plano boxes that'll fit under my slayer propel seat. But I'll have to make that...any ideas?

I really only throw the basics t-rig worms and soft plastics, frogs, jigs, chatters, cranks, and spinners.....but I don't have a collection nor do I want that on my yak all the time.

As of now...I refuse to buy a $125 milk crate (aka black pack)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
    Tarpon 120
    Ascend D10T

Personal bests
    25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
    Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

I am in the same boat as you. I was thinking of making a place sheet for my Plano as well. I have a bag I keep in my crate but that is cumbersome. I am making a 22 x 20 inch board out of 1/8 inch plastic peg board. Then I am going to use bungee cord to go through the holes to hold my Plano boxes. I can configure anyway I want. To make it float I am using a low density foam backer about 1/2 thick. I did a mock make up and it slides under my seat and I can slide it out with my pedal system down and actually place it on my lap or take the box I need. I fish fresh and salt water. My plan is to take most of the gear I need in my crate. Then put the Plano boxes I plan to work with on the board; terminal tackle, plastic, jigs etc. I won't need my bass stuff for bay and vise versa. I plan to make it this week.
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Originally posted by tech11165 View Post
      I am in the same boat as you. I was thinking of making a place sheet for my Plano as well. I have a bag I keep in my crate but that is cumbersome. I am making a 22 x 20 inch board out of 1/8 inch plastic peg board. Then I am going to use bungee cord to go through the holes to hold my Plano boxes. I can configure anyway I want. To make it float I am using a low density foam backer about 1/2 thick. I did a mock make up and it slides under my seat and I can slide it out with my pedal system down and actually place it on my lap or take the box I need. I fish fresh and salt water. My plan is to take most of the gear I need in my crate. Then put the Plano boxes I plan to work with on the board; terminal tackle, plastic, jigs etc. I won't need my bass stuff for bay and vise versa. I plan to make it this week.
      Sounds like a pretty good idea. Eagerly awaiting pics.

Tarpon 120
      Ascend D10T

Personal bests
      25 &1/4" Pickerel

Comment

Get a cheap plain jane milk crate for the tank well and use plano boxes. I like the 3700 series waterproof.
        Hobie fleet:
        2017 Quest 13
        2015 Outback
        2014 Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
          Get a cheap plain jane milk crate for the tank well and use plano boxes. I like the 3700 series waterproof.
          I've basically used this method all year. And while it works....I feel there is likely a better way. And I'm just not happy with the organization.

I've gotten to where I just slide three of the waterproof ones under my seat. But I've also had hard times reaching them.

Tarpon 120
          Ascend D10T

Personal bests
          25 &1/4" Pickerel

Comment

Originally posted by Yakie_Noodle View Post
            I've basically used this method all year. And while it works....I feel there is likely a better way. And I'm just not happy with the organization.

I've gotten to where I just slide three of the waterproof ones under my seat. But I've also had hard times reaching them.

Yakie - Have you checked out the different types of fabric tackle organizers that Native offers? They have some that strap on under the seat, behind the seat, and into the gear tracks on the side. I am a tackle minimalist and do not need them myself, but many other Slayer Propel owners like them. Native also makes a large zippered bag that holds Plano trays -- it has numerous rod tubes built into the sides. My guide in Florida uses one of those for his tackle storage.

For me, 1 or 2 large Plano waterproof trays that slide under the seat meet all my tackle needs. The gear is out of the way yet easy to reach when needed.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I made a seat base so I could put 2 Plano boxes under it and I added a shelf unit behind the seat that holds 3 Plano boxes and has 3 rod holders. The shelf snaps in and out on the Mariner's plug-n-play ports but you could do something similar with rails and rail bolts. You can see the shelf unit on the blue boat behind the seat - sorry, that's the best picture I have right now.

You can use PVC trim lumber so there's no painting needed.

IMG_20140802_141624_991.jpgDSC_1772.jpg

Comment

My seat has storage for up to 4 planos on the seat back itself, and one small one on each side. Makes it super easy to attach the seat and load up my gear at the same time. I typically only need 2 planos on the seat back. The small ones one the side, I use those to keep my terminal tackle & small sinkers. Really convenient. Its the Skwoosh Big Catch AF.

Edit: looks like they dont make that model any more. Bummer. It works great for comfort and convenience.
                <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by Cowpokey View Post
                  I have tried cloth tackle bags with more pockets and I've enjoyed those, but it doesn't get much simpler and durable than a crate. I believe there are cloth aftermarket type covers for milk crates that I'd be interested in looking at, but I haven't done the research. The important thing to me is everything having it's designated space and it being relatively secure. Things bouncing around and having to dig for stuff is the worst part of being on a kayak.

I like to stay minimal with gear and because of that I only bring a few planos. I have a stack in my garage specific to the target species. So depending on what I'm fishing, I'll grab those and throw my soft plastics in the crate or pockets to my side.
                  -Jon
                  Revo 13

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 Hobie Outback [emoji41]
                    2014 Hobie Outback
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2015 CBKA Fishing Tournament
                    2nd PLACE
                    Slam Division

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                      Yakie - Have you checked out the different types of fabric tackle organizers that Native offers? They have some that strap on under the seat, behind the seat, and into the gear tracks on the side. I am a tackle minimalist and do not need them myself, but many other Slayer Propel owners like them. Native also makes a large zippered bag that holds Plano trays -- it has numerous rod tubes built into the sides. My guide in Florida uses one of those for his tackle storage.

For me, 1 or 2 large Plano waterproof trays that slide under the seat meet all my tackle needs. The gear is out of the way yet easy to reach when needed.
                      John,

I've checked out some of the native items available and I am familiar with these....I too really only take two main waterproof planos. No real reason to have 10 of each thing I own especially when I only have a few tricks anyhow.....I peruse the native site one more time.....maybe stop on that pro staff area while I'm there.

Tarpon 120
                      Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                      25 &1/4" Pickerel

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
                        My seat has storage for up to 4 planos on the seat back itself, and one small one on each side. Makes it super easy to attach the seat and load up my gear at the same time. I typically only need 2 planos on the seat back. The small ones one the side, I use those to keep my terminal tackle & small sinkers. Really convenient. Its the Skwoosh Big Catch AF.

Edit: looks like they dont make that model any more. Bummer. It works great for comfort and convenience.
                        Dang it I really like the look of this too....gives me something to search for.

Just got back from deer watching....ill have to take a picture of my setup tomorrow.....I already have a crate....and it is essential to my video setup....it stabilizes my boom stick.

Tarpon 120
                        Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                        25 &1/4" Pickerel

Comment

untitled (2).jpguntitled (2).jpguntitled (4).jpg
                          Hopefully the pics came out. Not water tested yet but should work. I can pick what gear I need under Neath and move them around. I can only single stack them for them to slide out and in. I can double stack the front to just pull out with out sliding out. The boxes closest to the edge can be taken out and reinstalled with out sliding out. It can accommodate four of the larger boxes or mix and match the size you need. I am sure there are better options. I had the material readily available and it did not cost me anything. I still use my milk crate but this helps me have the main stuff I need at my finger tips. Still need to get my "Bay" lures set up and see what I need to do. My lake and ponds boxes are set. I can set my bags of soft plastics under the binge as well, or use the bungee strap that keeps the propel drive hole covered. Still need to tweak that.
                          John
                          Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Still a very cool idea

Tarpon 120
                            Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                            25 &1/4" Pickerel

Comment

Working...
                            X