Fish Finder Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish Finder Recommendations

Budget is $300-$500 what fish finder would you get? Open to whatever you recommend and prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowrance Elite-5. If you can find an HDI, they will be less expensive than the CHIRP. Either one would be my first choice. I started with an Elite-4 HDI on my first Outback, and got an Elite-5 HDI when I added the second Outback. Best base map of any unit I'm aware of. Add Navionics Plus later and you get even better maps...of course you could add that chip to other brand units as well, and make the base map a non-issue.
    Last edited by Cowpokey; 12-22-2015, 09:50 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Hobie fleet:
    2017 Quest 13
    2015 Outback
    2014 Outback

Comment

Based on Cowpoke advice I went with the Elite 4 HDI. It fit perfectly on my native on my drive pedal. The 5HDI was to big to where I wanted to mount it. Great units. Bought my on black Friday for $200 with cover and a map card. It was not the Nav plus.
      John
      Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Originally posted by tj.brooks0317 View Post
        Budget is $300-$500 what fish finder would you get? Open to whatever you recommend and prefer.

I've got the Elite 4 CHIRP and love it. For a kayak I think it's the perfect size, personally did not want anything bigger.
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I bought the Dragonfly. I like mine.

Comment

Got the Elite-5HDI for my new Outback. I have the Elite-4 HDI, no issues and easy to use. Went with the HDI instead of Chirp, saved money and better for Kayak fishing according to all the SL'ers who piped in about this issue a couple of months ago.

Yak67
            2015 Hobie PA-14
            2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

My vote is for the lowrance elite 4/5 HDI and you have the budget for chirp so why not!

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with hummingbird. And if so what are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by daolai View Post
                  My vote is for the lowrance elite 4/5 HDI and you have the budget for chirp so why not!
                  Got some real good deals right not for the Elite 5 chirp. Thinking Lowrance is getting ready to come out with another new version.
                  Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                  Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

you can get a new elite 5 hdi on ebay for $250 shipped

Comment

Nobody mentioned about the combo units, gps/sonar. I personally prefer the combo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
                      2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

I believe the 4 and 5 HDI and chirp are both gps/charts/sonar/downscan/chirp/// combos. I could be wrong but sonar only models have an X after the number. I dont think there are any chirp models with sonar only. It seems that Lowrance is coming out with something called a TI model. Not a clue what this is but the Elite 4 & 5 HDI and chirp versions work great. Add nav +and you get better charts, if thats what your looking for.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I have the elite 7 on my boat with navionics new fish and chip shows unbelievable contour lines, 1 foot increments.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
                          2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                            I believe the 4 and 5 HDI and chirp are both gps/charts/sonar/downscan/chirp/// combos. I could be wrong but sonar only models have an X after the number. I dont think there are any chirp models with sonar only. It seems that Lowrance is coming out with something called a TI model. Not a clue what this is but the Elite 4 & 5 HDI and chirp versions work great. Add nav +and you get better charts, if thats what your looking for.
                            I believe that is all correct, but it would be best to check the manufacturers' website to be sure, before purchasing.

The Elite-4 HDI, Elite-5 HDI, and their CHIRP counterparts/replacements are color screen combo GPS/Chart Plotter/Sonar/Down Imaging units.

The Navionics Plus card has "Fish-N-Chips" built in, which gives the 1' depth change contour lines; amazing what a difference that makes to being able to fish the most productive looking areas.
                            Hobie fleet:
                            2017 Quest 13
                            2015 Outback
                            2014 Outback

Comment

Lowrance elite HDI is what I have. I love it. Accurate gps tracking is essential and my routes are on point when I need to find where I launched

Adam

2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #211 powered by Evolve Torqeedo

Comment

Working...
                              X