X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santa Obliged

My new Do-It mold:

A.jpg B.JPG C.JPG

I've poured mostly 1/8 oz. jig heads so far. That's a Fat Sam attached to one -- a pickerel magnet.

I'm anxious to give them a try.

I hope other Snaggedliners got some useful fishing gifts this Holiday Season.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Beautiful - Look out Pickerel!!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Nice work Mark. That mold appears to have one each of several sizes. If you only want 1/8-oz jigheads do you need to pour them one at a time? If so, how long does it take between pourings?
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
        Nice work Mark. That mold appears to have one each of several sizes. If you only want 1/8-oz jigheads do you need to pour them one at a time? If so, how long does it take between pourings?
        Yes, I pour each size singly. I wanted the flexibility to make different sizes. I can make pickerel and perch jigs with this mold as well as striper trolling jigs.

Do-It makes "production" molds with multiple cavities of the same size.

However for my purposes the present mold is fine. The lead hardens seconds after pouring. I literally pour, immediately open the mold, remove the jig and reset a hook into the cavity for another pour. I can make several jigs a minute when I have everything at hand and ready. In fact, the faster I go the better because the lead sets up perfectly in the mold when the mold is hot.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Yes, I pour each size singly. I wanted the flexibility to make different sizes. I can make pickerel and perch jigs with this mold as well as striper trolling jigs.

However for my purposes the present mold is fine. The lead hardens seconds after pouring. I literally pour, immediately open the mold, remove the jig and reset a hook into the cavity for another pour. I can make several jigs a minute when I have everything at hand and ready. In fact, the faster I go the better because the lead sets up perfectly in the mold when the mold is hot.
          Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea you could reload and pour that fast.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

I've made thousands of bullets with my dad and can attest they set almost immediately. If you ever need lead let me know Mark, my dad has several old lead shower pans and buckets of tire balancing weights. They have a little more impurities than store bought lead, but it easily skims off the top. I really wish there was an alternative to lead, but to my knowledge there is none.
            2015 Hobie Outback
            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea you could reload and pour that fast.
              Without burning your hands or fingers.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

That is very cool. I have a hundred or so pounds of lead saved up from when I was very into shooting, but never took the plunge into casting my own bullets. What type of lead pot do you use?
                Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                  I've made thousands of bullets with my dad and can attest they set almost immediately. If you ever need lead let me know Mark, my dad has several old lead shower pans and buckets of tire balancing weights. They have a little more impurities than store bought lead, but it easily skims off the top. I really wish there was an alternative to lead, but to my knowledge there is none.
                  Thank you very much, John. I'm pretty well stocked at the moment. But I will keep your stash in mind.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                    Without burning your hands or fingers.
                    Needle nose pliers are invaluable for removing the hot jig from the mold.
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Comment

Originally posted by bunnielab View Post
                      What type of lead pot do you use?
                      http://www.barlowstackle.com/Lee-4-L...l-P349C62.aspx
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD