Pickerel Fishing the Severn 12/28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickerel Fishing the Severn 12/28

Took a buddy out today for some pickerel fishing. Once he got the hang of it we slayed them. I caught over 15 and he caught 8. I had four break the leader at the yak. Twister tail minnow natural color with 1/8 jig head with a pop and twitch retrieve. Had many strike and misses. They really like the pop and drop retrieve. I nailed four of the same spot all in a row all consecutive cast at the same spot. Never had that before. Water clarity was not bad but the wind made it hard; I had a pedal and my buddy was a paddle.
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Sounds like a good day. What exactly is a pop and drop retrieve?

Comment

Nice day! Congrats
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by tech11165 View Post
        Took a buddy out today for some pickerel fishing. Once he got the hang of it we slayed them. I caught over 15 and he caught 8. I had four break the leader at the yak. Twister tail minnow natural color with 1/8 jig head with a pop and twitch retrieve. Had many strike and misses. They really like the pop and drop retrieve. I nailed four of the same spot all in a row all consecutive cast at the same spot. Never had that before. Water clarity was not bad but the wind made it hard; I had a pedal and my buddy was a paddle.
        Good job. I began using 20-lb mono leaders a few years ago. I rarely have a break-off any more. Before that I used 8-lb mono tied directly to the lure. Now I use 10-lb Powerpro with the 20-lb mono leader. I suspect a 15-lb leader would work too.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          Good job. I began using 20-lb mono leaders a few years ago. I rarely have a break-off any more. Before that I used 8-lb mono tied directly to the lure. Now I use 10-lb Powerpro with the 20-lb mono leader. I suspect a 15-lb leader would work too.
          I have been using some 14 lbs test mono that I had left from one of my topwater rigs that I have been using as a leader and have yet to loose a fish (knock on wood....) from breakage or being cut. I have caught many 20"-22" pickerel without incident
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

15 pound fluorocarbon on spinning gear.

10 pound mono tippet on a fly leader.

I lose very few to breakoffs. Spitting the hook is another matter. They're uncanny at coming undone after a lengthy pull.

Most of the pickerels I catch are lip hooked and their teeth do not touch the leader. But it's good to routinely check for fraying after each hookup.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

What has been working for me is as soon as my lure hits the water I jig the tip. Then once it is on the bottom I pop the tip to where the lure almost comes to the surface and let it fall again. When I cast perpendicular to the shore the time I let it drop is longer since the water get deeper. When I cast parallel to the shore I keep the drop constant. This has been working for me the last three times. I learned to fish for them at the Dec meet and great. Most of the time they hit on the drop at the surface or when pull from the bottom. That fast twitch and pop is not finesse, and I tend to reel it moderately. IT SEEMS TO PISS THEM OFF. I had my buddy with me this time and he was not catching. I had him work the shore ahead of me and I would come behind him and catch fish. He is a big bass fishermen and he was trying to finesse it. There were times I was catching fish from under his kayak.
              \
              Originally posted by mike o View Post
              Sounds like a good day. What exactly is a pop and drop retrieve?
              John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

headed there tomorrow. was looking to try for some rockfish and pickerel after. Were you near the 450 bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by thalaja1 View Post
                  headed there tomorrow. was looking to try for some rockfish and pickerel after. Were you near the 450 bridge?
                  I actually was in Weems Creek. I launched from Tucker street ramp. Made a left and went under 2 bridges then started on the shoreline just after the seconds bridge and made a right. Worked the whole shore line down to the end. Then worked the other side. The little coves were the most active
                  John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

When I was little we lived in ND for 3 years. I remember dad catching northern pike. Like pickerel but bigger and with bigger teeth.

He used 8 lb. test line on his reel (an old closed face spinning reel) and steel leader/swivel. So of course we all had the steel leaders on our fishing line, too.

Trolling and bank fishing were the two primary methods of fishing for them. During the spawn we fished from the bank with pieces of hot dog, or Vienna sausages and a sinker heavy enough to take the meat/hook out from the bank and to the bottom. I saw people reel in some big fish (but when you're 10 or 12 years old, big fish may seem bigger).

Later in the year, when trolling dad used either a big red and white spoon (remember daredevils?) or a big black and white one the same size.

I have not fished for them down here in VA but I've caught a few while fishing for bass or crappie. I fished a pond a few weeks back were they are so numerous (small ones at least) that people kill them when they catch them and toss them back in the water.

A big one, or smaller one on light tackle must be some fun to bring in.

Comment

Great fishing reports! I'm looking to go out maybe on the Severn tomorrow, is anyone going out ?
                      Looks like good weather for Pickeral fishing.

Comment

Working...
                      X