Need time saving advice for 1/4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need time saving advice for 1/4

I was up late night watching the fights at the local bar and did not make it out today to fish. Was contemplating going tomorrow but the winds are expected to be 15plus. How bad is that if I launch from Jonas Green? This is my first season with a kayak and normally I would just go, but because it is January is it worth it?
    Thanks
    John
    Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

With winds coming out of the north, you should be protected and in the lee of much of the blow. That being said, the winds for tomorrow are quite sporty. I would likely sit it out. If you go, stay close to shore. Are you set up with a dry suit?
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
      With winds coming out of the north, you should be protected and in the lee of much of the blow. That being said, the winds for tomorrow are quite sporty. I would likely sit it out. If you go, stay close to shore. Are you set up with a dry suit?

I do have a dry suit. I was planning on staying close around the bridge near Jonas Green. I will check the winds in the morning. Does it get choppy in the river ?
      John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Originally posted by tech11165 View Post
        I do have a dry suit. I was planning on staying close around the bridge near Jonas Green. I will check the winds in the morning. Does it get choppy in the river ?
        With the winds blowing 20-25, it can get interesting. The fetch isn't all that long in that area so the waves won't be much of an issue. The problem will be trying to maintain any type of position and / or trolling speed. I would run parallel to the shore towards Greenbury Pt to stay out of the worst of it.

I would definitely wear your drysuit.

Good luck!
        Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

I checked Windfinder.com for Annapolis at 7:30 Sun evening. The wind forecast for Mon daylight hours is 17-22 knots from the NNW. Given that the axis of the river runs NW to SE at that point, you are likely to get most of the force of the wind. I do not recommend launching there under those conditions, especially with cold air and water. I've launched off that beach into 2 ft waves and probably would not do it anymore. (I visited there on Jan 1 in the afternoon and found gusty NW wind and lots of whitecaps. I put the kayak back in the van and drove to an alternate launch point for safety reasons.) There are other launches in the Severn that put you into sheltered tributaries (Weems Creek, Spa Creek, Back Creek) that would afford you much more shelter.

I do not agree with EMSer's point that the fetch is not long there. The wind blows all the way from above Rt 50 directly toward the beach at Jonas Green. That is long enough to set up big closed-spaced chop and whitecaps. As you approach the beach, the water shallows out, which will cause the waves to break and make launching and retrieving dicey.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

It can get very choppy in the Severn, especially with double digit winds blowing down the river.

Here's an example near the launch with moderate winds:

H.jpg

And here's the beach with a little higher winds:

C.jpg

Be smart. I wouldn't go in the winds that are projected tomorrow.
            Attached Files
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the advise. It is good to know I can get objective opinions. I'll pass on the fishing. I have been fishing non stop since buying my kayak. I am bummed I passed up on an opportunity today. I awoke today to my 5:30 alarm to get up and load up... but I woke to my wife's (of 22+ years) arm over me and my dog sleeping next to me on the bed. I just couldn't get up from that cozy spot... oh well. Next time.
              John

Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                I do not agree with EMSer's point that the fetch is not long there. The wind blows all the way from above Rt 50 directly toward the beach at Jonas Green. That is long enough to set up big closed-spaced chop and whitecaps. As you approach the beach, the water shallows out, which will cause the waves to break and make launching and retrieving dicey.
                I concur with John. When I originally looked at the projected winds, they were due to blow straight out of the north. They have revised it to be more from the west making the fetch quite long.

Good call on sitting this one out.
                Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Just want to say I love this forum! really wishin I was closer to all the yaktion
                  2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                  LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Working...
                  X