No announcement yet.

Setting up for Bay Bridge 7-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well you need to be early to beat the boats. There was a boat to every piling today. That's annoying. On e boat anchored in the middle of two pilings and fished both. One happened to be my piling...lol yea ill be at spsp between 5 and 6the am.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I should be there 9-10 am. Hope I don't have to pull a ticket to wait for my turn at the pilings.
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
        Launched from terrapin beach today, Never again. lol. the walk is maybe 1/2mi which wouldnt be too bad however i blew a tire on my cart half way to the put it. We really need more eastern shore options
        No way is it half mile, like I said in my report, it took me 8 minute to water, 12 back. I was towing on flat ties too. What kind of cart were u using bc I think if we use a general cart which we can strap more towards the middle of kayak to get weight off the front, it wouldn't be that bad. Still thinking about using a bicycle to tow it
        sigpic

Comment

Terrapin Park

I plan to launch at first light and jig the pilings out on the channel edge, then work may way back in to exercise some perch near shore. I'll be in a red WS Ride 135.

Comment

bay bridge July 10

I got to Terrapin Park at about 5:30 am & carted my yak out to the beach. The trek really wasn't bad although I guess I cheated by having round wheels. The fishing was good while the tide was ripping- up to about 9:00 am then the bite died. I did quite well jigging & kept a 24 and 31" fish. Saw several other kayakers out there & these early birds also did pretty good. I waited for a couple friends who showed up around 10:30 but by that time the show was over, except for the perch, which were happy to hit shad darts tipped with grass shrimp. My bigger fish had a green tag, which turned out to be from VIMS. I called it in and will receive 5 bucks for the data I provided. Can't wait to get back out there again.

Steve

Comment

Good Job Toad. Nice fish and wow...a nice picture taken also.... While I was there, I was catching alot of Jumbo Spots and a few large 11.5 inch perch. I wanted a small spot to live line. I only got 1 small one and hooked in the back and threw him out into the water. I waited, but no takers. I think I needed to get to 30 feet of water. I tried 15 to 20 feet of water, which may have been too shallow. I was too tired from Saturday fishing and then fishing Romancoke this morning, to stay out and move into deeper water. I went back with Jimbo. It was hot out there. The morning was definitely more comfortable. Jimbo deliberately dunked himself overboard to cool himself off from the heat. The walk back hauling a fully loaded kayak was alittle difficult, especially when both of us were tired. We had Hobies so we had to help each other get the wheels under our yak, so we could begin hauling them back to our vehicles. I would hate to do that by myself. It is doable, but you would have to unload your kayak to get the wheels underneath. It is always nice seeing other potential put in spots. I wonder if Matapeake would be an equal or better launch where you can fish for spots on the way to the bridge to live line? At leave there would be no hauling of the yaks involved and you can stay late and night fish.

Comment

You're right about the biting. I hit the water from SPSP about 1000 am. Worked four pilings on the west side. I also went to the lighthouse. Jigged using metal jigs and charteuse Gulp worm. Used squid and shrimp too. Marked a lot of fish. On the water for over six hours, and caught nothing. The day was nice, though. Water was pretty calm, but got a bit rough late afternoon.

Saw another fisherman in an orange yak working the piling. I almost caught up with him, but he left while I worked another piling.
                2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

As you guys go over to the bridge from terrapin beach make sure you hit the sewer pipe. It was going off over there late yesterday afternoon. We picked up a mid 20's fish almost every drift with a 10'' white bkd....via boat

side notes: One of the girls actually caught a giant 12''+ menhaden on a stingsilver which was a pleasant sign. We marked a ridiculous amount of bait and chased some breakers north of the bridge with the fly rod right before dark.
                  Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Awesome report guys! That's really cool you got a tagged fish!!! Jimbo called me and gave me the heads up that jigging was working well in the morning so I came prepared.

I went to terrapin around 3 and fished the pilings with Friday/ComeOnFish. I did very well jigging and lost one large 30 something at the boat. I think I caught somewhere between 15-20 20-32" fish and one 17". Got some good shots of Joe and he got some good videos of me too. He was geared for livelining and his rod was too soft for jigging. He will be ready next time. Bkd's were the ticket for me today. Terrapin is do-able, just make sure you are out before sunset and you have a good cart!!!
                    Last edited by Redfish12; 07-11-2011, 11:04 AM.
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

That sounds like an awesome afternoon, Michael. How long were you guys out there?
                      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
                      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
                        That sounds like an awesome afternoon, Michael. How long were you guys out there?
                        I was a little late, Joe was out from about 1:30-8 I think. I was more like 3:00-8 by the time I got out on the water. The wind was pretty rough at frirst and I couldn't make bait. Found him live-lining some big spot with no takers. I didn't have an anchor so I tried casting but it was tough so we did some trolling till things settled down. Picked up numerous small blues on a magic swimmer. When the wind calmed the current picked up and started tossing the bkd again and the fish started biting. I'll post the full report later to include the videos/pictures.
                        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X