Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good dry suit deal

https://www.austinkayak.com/products...it-Unisex.html

That is a good deal. Appomattox River company (Paddleva.com) has there's for $379.00.
    I got one in December and it's great, had to stretch that neck out a bit, the fun part was watching me get it and out of it

http://www.paddleva.com/shop/all/Acc...hing-Dry-Suits

Yak67
    2015 Hobie PA-14
    2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

That's a better deal but just 1 size

Comment

WOW they really sold out at that price. No wonder ACK finally drop theirs down.

Thanks for the heads up

Yak67
        2015 Hobie PA-14
        2016 Hobie Outback LE

Comment

Ive looked at this a few times. but just wasnt sure if i want something cheaper.. idk much about dry suits but for something to be that cheap steered me away

I honestly dont know enough about the fabrics and all. why are some 1k.. why are some 800 and then this is 379.. i mean these things can save your life but why such a huge jump in prices..

I would love some feed back if anyone has any
          Zach Moore
          Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
          Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
          Bait Towel Pro Staff
          2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
            Ive looked at this a few times. but just wasnt sure if i want something cheaper.. idk much about dry suits but for something to be that cheap steered me away

I honestly dont know enough about the fabrics and all. why are some 1k.. why are some 800 and then this is 379.. i mean these things can save your life but why such a huge jump in prices..

I would love some feed back if anyone has any
            My dry suit is the $1,200, Kokatat with all the bells and whistles. That said, mine came at a significant discount being on the pro staff, which is my disclaimer. My old dry top was an NRS, not anywhere close to the quality of my dry suit. Even though Kokatat treats me well, I don't mean to knock NRS by that statement. I just had a less expensive item because that's what my wallet wanted at the time. I'm more concerned that guys are safe out there and get whatever they can afford. Kokatat is a premium level brand and not everyone can justify that extra cost.

Some of the differences you'll see on the more expensive ones will be:
            Higher build quality and durability, obviously. Mine has extra layers at wear points for example. There's extra care at sealing the seems.
            Relief zippers
            Extra Pockets
            Extra fit adjustments
            Mine has latex and neoprene gaskets which adds to the comfort and fit.
            Mine also has a hood
            Warranties should be much better on higher end suits

But the big jump in price seems to come mostly from the material from which it's made. The high dollar suits are made of Gore-Tex, and it is awesome. Unfortunately it comes at a premium. The Gore-Tex is highly breathable, so when you wear the proper base layers (Kokatat sells these too, I'm not sure if other brand do) you've got a really great system to stay comfortable all day long, even when it's cold in the morning and warms up towards mid day. I can wear my suit when it's 70 degrees outside and be comfortable, but I could not with my cheaper top....think spring when air temps out pace the cold water temps.

I guess it's worth mentioning that dry suits are not for insulation. You can wear whatever bulky stuff you have to stay warm, but the best stuff is a base layer, mid layer and outer layer if it's really cold, and then wear your dry suit over those. If all those layers are wicking and move with your body, you've got a nice system going. I wouldn't spend the big bucks on a great suit if you don't plan on wearing good stuff under it because you won't get the benefit. I mean, what's the use of having a breathable suit if you're wearing cotton that does no good once it's wet?

Kokatat has all this insulation for sale as well. It's also premium level stuff. I really like the Wool Core stuff, which is really thin, soft wool. I even wear it around the house because it's so comfortable. Then I'll wear the Outer Core atop it. The outer core is a weird kind of fabric, but man it keeps me warm. And then sometimes when it's well below freezing, I'll add another thin layer, like Their Base Core. For the tops, they've got the same gear to layer up.

Perhaps that's all more than anyone wanted to know, but the questions have been coming up a lot lately as the weather's gotten really cold. Hopefully everyone's been wearing theirs since October as that water temp has been at unsafe levels since then.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
            Kokatat Pro Staff
            Torqeedo Pro Staff
            Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
            Alan

Comment

A couple years back I bought the Kokatat Hydrus dry suit in XL and absolutely hate it. Nothing wrong with the suit, but it is heavy, does not breath, and is really hard to get in and out of. I have worn it only 2 times. I wanted a 2 piece because I need a large bottom and and XL top, so I purchased the Kokatat Gortex Whirlpool bibs with relieve, and the Kokatat Gortex Rouge drytop. What a difference. Its perfect. Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep my hands and feet warm in freezing temps.

Pricing the way I see it is the higher the price the higher the technical level of the suit or top and bottom.
              Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
              Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

You can buy a Hobie or you can buy an Ascend. Everything else being equal, they both catch fish. My suit is the Kokatat Tropos, not the top of the line, but it works just fine. I feel if it's a reputable kayak shop, they're not going to risk their reputation selling sub-par dry gear.

Comment

I recently purchased the Kokatat Super Nova Anglers suit from PaddleVa.com @ 492.00 Shipped. I did a bunch of research and decided on this suit, mainly because I've actually meet a few guys that have it. All but one guy liked the suit "Salty Dog"(although his new bibs looked pretty sweet). I put it one as soon as it was delivered and found pretty easy to get on. The zippers were tight as well as the wrist cuffs. I lubed up the zippers and stretched the wrist-works perfect.

I don't expect it to be the most breathable suit, I certainly wish i could have squeezed a few more dimes for the Gore tex. I do expect it to be pretty durable as its reinforced in wear areas as well.

Kokatat's customer service seems pretty good as well.

Comment

Hey Ed, for the record i never tried a Super Nova suit. The one I did not like was unfortunately the first one I purchased, Hydrus 3L Meridian dry suit.. Not saying anything is wrong with the suit, my preference is a 2 piece setup in Gore tex. Kokatat makes an awesome product and their customer service is great. On a lighter note, us older fishers find a one piece a bit harder to get on and off then the younger fishers. Just sayin.
                    Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

........... A cheaper dry suit is better than no dry suit .......... My purpose was just to point out a good price on a dry suit especially if you can't afford a $1200 one .......... Of course a A Lexis has more comfort than a Corolla but they both get you there

Comment

Yeh I just wasn't sure what to look for but 100% agree something is better than nothing ! Alan sent me a PM and went over some good points l
                        Zach Moore
                        Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                        Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                        Bait Towel Pro Staff
                        2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                        YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                          ........... A cheaper dry suit is better than no dry suit .......... My purpose was just to point out a good price on a dry suit especially if you can't afford a $1200 one .......... Of course a A Lexis has more comfort than a Corolla but they both get you there
                          I dont know, but have you tried out the new Corollas. Nice.
                          Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Its nice having local people that have a good knowledge base and personal experience with products. People you actual see using the product.

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                              My dry suit is the $1,200, Kokatat with all the bells and whistles. That said, mine came at a significant discount being on the pro staff, which is my disclaimer. My old dry top was an NRS, not anywhere close to the quality of my dry suit. Even though Kokatat treats me well, I don't mean to knock NRS by that statement. I just had a less expensive item because that's what my wallet wanted at the time. I'm more concerned that guys are safe out there and get whatever they can afford. Kokatat is a premium level brand and not everyone can justify that extra cost.

Some of the differences you'll see on the more expensive ones will be:
                              Higher build quality and durability, obviously. Mine has extra layers at wear points for example. There's extra care at sealing the seems.
                              Relief zippers
                              Extra Pockets
                              Extra fit adjustments
                              Mine has latex and neoprene gaskets which adds to the comfort and fit.
                              Mine also has a hood
                              Warranties should be much better on higher end suits

But the big jump in price seems to come mostly from the material from which it's made. The high dollar suits are made of Gore-Tex, and it is awesome. Unfortunately it comes at a premium. The Gore-Tex is highly breathable, so when you wear the proper base layers (Kokatat sells these too, I'm not sure if other brand do) you've got a really great system to stay comfortable all day long, even when it's cold in the morning and warms up towards mid day. I can wear my suit when it's 70 degrees outside and be comfortable, but I could not with my cheaper top....think spring when air temps out pace the cold water temps.

I guess it's worth mentioning that dry suits are not for insulation. You can wear whatever bulky stuff you have to stay warm, but the best stuff is a base layer, mid layer and outer layer if it's really cold, and then wear your dry suit over those. If all those layers are wicking and move with your body, you've got a nice system going. I wouldn't spend the big bucks on a great suit if you don't plan on wearing good stuff under it because you won't get the benefit. I mean, what's the use of having a breathable suit if you're wearing cotton that does no good once it's wet?

Kokatat has all this insulation for sale as well. It's also premium level stuff. I really like the Wool Core stuff, which is really thin, soft wool. I even wear it around the house because it's so comfortable. Then I'll wear the Outer Core atop it. The outer core is a weird kind of fabric, but man it keeps me warm. And then sometimes when it's well below freezing, I'll add another thin layer, like Their Base Core. For the tops, they've got the same gear to layer up.

Perhaps that's all more than anyone wanted to know, but the questions have been coming up a lot lately as the weather's gotten really cold. Hopefully everyone's been wearing theirs since October as that water temp has been at unsafe levels since then.
                              Hey Allen, how about talking to the team at Kokatat and requesting base layers with a fly. Great products, but who wants to pay premium for a quality product without a fly to go with the relief zipper. Just sayin.
                              Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Working...
                              X