Low-end kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low-end kayaks

Many folks who are new to the sport of kayak fishing seek out the cheapest kayak available. To a large extent, you get what you pay for. I was in Sam's Club this morning and saw a display of two Lifetime brand kayaks. The 8'5" Hydros model sells for $179, and the 6' Youth Wave model sells for $89. Both models include a paddle. However, these do not offer the comfort, weight capacity, durability, and seaworthiness that other kayak models provide.

I do not endorse buying this type of kayak for serious fishing use or to use in rough water. Low price is attractive, but make sure you know what you are getting.

cheap kayaks.jpg
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Glad you brought this up. I think this is a fantastic deal as a starter boat. I got seriously into the sport after trying things out for a year in a $300 Dick's sit in. It got me out on most types of water and tested my tolerance for the downs and ups in fishing as well as letting me fine tune what is ultimately want to get in my optimal case gear. The community here (except one) was great about it when I would be the only one showing up to a M&G with a sit in but once I knew what I wanted and could confidently say this sport was for me, I grew my investment by 10x my original spend to upgrade the kit. I then sold my sit in for nearly what I had bought it for. This can be an addictive and slightly expensive sport, so it's good to know before you $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Omid

2015 ivory outback

Comment

There are a few "low end" boats that I think are pretty darn good. Those are primarily those that are older versions of great kayaks. The most obvious examples being the boats that are basically Tarpons in every regard but the seat (Pompano 120, Pescador, etc...). I think those boats are good enough to support an exploratory year of kayak fishing without being detrimental to the experience.
      I have seen lots of guys have good experiences with the Eagle Talon too ...good in that it was fishable enough that they wanted to upgrade and stay with the sport.
      A poor entry level kayak can kill someone's interest in kayak angling for sure.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I have started with the low end yaks for the price. I bought a 10 footer for $200 and have rigged it for my purpose of a hobby. I know my limits and comfort so it's a reasonable yak for me. While I would love to hook up with a 30 incher at the bridge, I know that I can do so on my friends boats (best kind). I do see myself upgrading to a "fishing" kayak in a few years, but to only spend 250-300 once all my other things have been added was a no brainer. Buying a cheap kayak is a great way to get into the sport, you just have to know what your intentions are beforehand. My yak will only be for ponds, lakes, creeks, and calm days on the river and I am perfectly ok with that. Buy a cheap one to start and know your limits.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
        Green Team
        Future Beach 10' sit in - Lime Green
        Ascend FS12T - Lime Green

Comment

Originally posted by Dimo View Post
          Glad you brought this up. I think this is a fantastic deal as a starter boat. I got seriously into the sport after trying things out for a year in a $300 Dick's sit in. It got me out on most types of water and tested my tolerance for the downs and ups in fishing as well as letting me fine tune what is ultimately want to get in my optimal case gear. The community here (except one) was great about it when I would be the only one showing up to a M&G with a sit in but once I knew what I wanted and could confidently say this sport was for me, I grew my investment by 10x my original spend to upgrade the kit. I then sold my sit in for nearly what I had bought it for. This can be an addictive and slightly expensive sport, so it's good to know before you $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I agree Dimo, I have the Ascend kayak from Bass Pro, I made the decision to purchase it after doing exhaustive research on "low end" yaks. It's well built, extremely stable and is a good starter kayak. Yes, it is a barge but I have become pretty adept at maneuvering it and getting where I need to go. I really needed to see if this sport was for me before I drop big bucks, now that I am sure that it is I have begun my research on what to upgrade to, I plan on hitting some demo days this year and if things go right by the fall season I may be peddling. I must say I really do enjoy the paddle though, there is something serene and calming about it to me.
          New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

Yeah if you buy a cheap yak you don't have to wait to fish untill you have time to demo. You can take as long as you want to demo better kayaks and still keep fishing.
            I used the money I saved to get my wife and daughter take to do when i finally decided to spend more I did not have to do it at expense of family time. They don't yaknwiyj me a lot, but when they do it is fun

Comment

I also started out on the cheaper end. My kayak fishing addiction started about 2 years ago. I moved to a place that had a small creek close by. One day I was exploring the creek, most of which you could wade through, and I came to a long deep stretch. I often caught 2-3lbs bass on a regular basis every time I went down there. This was the moment I asked myself, "I wonder what's at the end of this stretch of water". Instead of learning how to swim with all of my tackle, I began looking for deals on craigslist. I ended up finding an inflatable pontoon. It had it's pros and cons but ultimately I wanted something easier to paddle. I again went to craigslist and found someone looking to trade a dicks sporting goods sit-in kayak. I fished out of this thing for a while and decided I was going to fully commit to the sport. I again went to craigslist and found a used PA14. I loved that pro angler but my back hated it. I knew I needed something smaller without giving up that much weight capacity. I ended up demoing an Outback at an ACK demo days and it was all over. She's been my ride for about a year now and I have no regrets.
              2015 Outback

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC32..._as=subscriber

Comment

Id have to say anybody really looking at a low end kayak to do them self's a favor and just take a day to go to a demo event. I know its not really the time of year for it but to wait and just demo demo and when you think your done, demo again! Doing this will give you a feel for what hull shapes can do for you as a paddler. Furthermore the vast knowledge from the staff will leave you with all the information you will need. From that you can budget to get a nicer kayak. Or if you know your paddling smaller bodies of water what would work for that environment. I've had over 10+ different kayaks from 10ft pelicans and 8ft lifetimes all the way up to a ride 135 and tarpon 140. But if I knew more info about these FREE demos I would have made a more educated purchase and saved more money in the long run. Such is life. Anyone with questions should feel more then welcome to ask as many questions as they like. This group of anglers has A LOT of time on the water and are always willing to lend a helping hand.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
                Tan-Tarpon 140
                Lime-Pelican Matrix
                Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

My intent in posting this thread was not to criticize those who start out in inexpensive kayaks. Rather it was to show that the very lowest cost end of kayaking can be pretty non-seaworthy. For a few hundred dollars more than the Sam's Club kayaks, you can get a reasonable kayak to get you started in the sport with more space and utility.

Another consideration is that for the same investment you make for a lower priced new kayak (but not the extreme low end of the scale), you can get a used kayak from a major manufacturer.

Regardless of what model kayak you use, try to learn the realistic limits of your boat under different water conditions.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis
                  Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                    My intent in posting this thread was not to criticize those who start out in inexpensive kayaks. Rather it was to show that the very lowest cost end of kayaking can be pretty non-seaworthy. For a few hundred dollars more than the Sam's Club kayaks, you can get a reasonable kayak to get you started in the sport with more space and utility.

Another consideration is that for the same investment you make for a lower priced new kayak (but not the extreme low end of the scale), you can get a used kayak from a major manufacturer.

Regardless of what model kayak you use, try to learn the realistic limits of your boat under different water conditions.
                    I didn't think you were criticizing at all John. You make excellent points. I have a buddy who is dying to get a boat and have told him several times not to buy those $150 kayaks.
                    New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                      There are a few "low end" boats that I think are pretty darn good. Those are primarily those that are older versions of great kayaks. The most obvious examples being the boats that are basically Tarpons in every regard but the seat (Pompano 120, Pescador, etc...). I think those boats are good enough to support an exploratory year of kayak fishing without being detrimental to the experience.
                      I have seen lots of guys have good experiences with the Eagle Talon too ...good in that it was fishable enough that they wanted to upgrade and stay with the sport.
                      A poor entry level kayak can kill someone's interest in kayak angling for sure.

My Pescador is in it's fourth year of exploratory kayaking. Got mine really cheap($360) and it still does what I need it to do and I don't think I would sell it even if I upgrade, it's a nice boat. It seems to be running $500 -$600 now and for that price I'd probably pay a few dollars more and explore some other options new or something nicer in the used market.

I did almost did buy a cheap sit in from Costco when I was ready to take the plunge and am really glad I did some more research and was able to get a way more capable boat for the about the same price. It would have been a big mistake and I would have regretted it quickly after learning the limitations of the kayak. The urge to try some different types of water will happen and you do want something you have faith in.

There does seem to be a lot more options now in capable kayaks in the $400- $1000 range both new and used. If you don't want to spend much they are out there with some careful shopping and research and you may even find you are still happy some years down the road with a fairly small outlay of cash. That peddle thing is getting more attractive as the years go by but my old beat up Pescador still fits the bill in a lot of fishing situations that I would most likely leave a peddle one home.

Comment

Wait, some of these pointy wading pool things are more worthy than others?....
                        I have so much to learn!

Comment

The important thing is in knowing your intentions. For me my kayak was a toy #1, fishing machine #2. I still will take it out without a rod on board now and then. It's an expensive hobby for sure, but you can do so soundly on a budget.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
                          Green Team
                          Future Beach 10' sit in - Lime Green
                          Ascend FS12T - Lime Green

Comment

Some of those Bass pro SINKs are pretty awesome now....but not exactly cheap either

Comment

Low end definitely can ruin an interest. I have seen it and been a victim myself with other hobbies or sports. But Like all other interested or hobbies you never just have one. I only have one kayak.... for now. But like all other hobbies it all starts with that one. Then habits change and you accumulate more stuff. I have many sets of golf clubs, putters, and other types of gear. I have also had many boats. I have had many perfect ideas of what a perfect boat, or kayak or golf club set would be and it seems I keep searching for it and having fun along the way.
                              John
                              Hobie Adventure Island 16'

Slayer Propel 10

Pelican Trailblazer ( don't hate , pond use only)

Comment

Working...
                              X