A bass has gotta eat. But what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bass has gotta eat. But what?

Every time I think I have a handle on what motivates a fish, more often than not, I am quickly humbled (by the fish) and made to feel that I am clueless.

I have been focusing on habitat likely to hold fish. That has proved to always be true except when it's not... Now I am trying to add the dimension of "Where's the Beef?"

My question for everyone is this - What are the primary residential forage species this time of year? I know the anadromous species like herring have moved on, but who still thrives in the mid bay in mid winter? Are Bay Anchovies still high on the menu? Silversides? Are there other species that make up the main course on a cold winter morning?

I know there are a thousand variables that impact the "when and where" we find fish, but I am trying to gain understanding of them, one at a time, so that I don't run in circles pulling my hair out.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Tight lines!
    Bruce

Hobie PA 14
    Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Bruce,

I think the most basic answer is that your premise is wrong. A bass doesn't have to eat (as much) in cold water. They don't hibernate but they get lethargic. Their food intake and their need for food is greatly reduced.

That's good for survival because Bay Anchovies and Silversides have left shallow waters to school up in deeper water for the winter where they also become less active. Remember how hot the striper bite was in the tributaries into December this year? Of course you do...you were out there chasing them almost every day and making impressive catches. Often that bite was associated with bait fish rippling the surface the of the tributaries or massive clouds of bait fish on our FFs. When temperatures finally started to drop the bait fish departed the tributaries for warmer water and the striper bite slowed considerably.

The difference now is that I don't believe there is slashing and crashing going on in those deeper waters. I believe predator and prey are lazily enduring the cold waiting for warmer temperatures to return so that the fight for life can continue.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark,

I do not disagree with your premise at all. In fact, I had taken it as a pretty reliable variable during this time of year. That was until i read about the beast that Alan pulled up yesterday. I was reading his Facebook feed and learned that he pulled it for under an active school of bait in shallow water. He went on the explain that "When the bait fish moved on, no more"

I am so confused.....
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
        I am so confused.....
        Nature's participants can't read what's written about them. They are not bound by history or expectation.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

......... Menhaden, mud shad, herring etc

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            Nature's participants can't read what's written about them. They are not bound by history or expectation.
            Truer words were never written, my friend. The 3 fish I caught today were shallower (20-25') than they have been recently and clearly transient. I was unable to relocate definitive marks, despite having created waypoints on my FF. One of the schools was the biggest I've seen and produced my PB at 29", but was no where to be found when i circled back minutes later to catch more....
            Bruce

Hobie PA 14

Comment

Bruce,

You're an excellent fisherman to continue catching large stripers by kayak this late into the winter.

You're not bound by expectation either.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Comment

Bruce,

You're an excellent fisherman to continue catching large stripers by kayak this late into the winter.

You're not bound by expectation either.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
                X