Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Decisions! Decisions! Predator13, Big Game 2, Etc.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
    i would also check out malibu x-factor and stealth though they dont have the fancy seat they are super stable for big guys im 6'5" 315 and in my opinion they paddle better than the predator IMHO
    I have an x factor and like it just fine, and i liked the Stealth14.....they may paddle better than the BG2, but the Stealth 12 definitely does not.The extra 2' makes a world of difference. The stealth 12 is a real slow paddle
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

For what it’s worth, I have a Predator 13 and put endless hours on it. Have had it in conditions beyond its intended design but still performed surprisingly well. Great kayak in certain conditions (I also have an OC Trident Ultra 4.7 for distance and when conditions are predicted to be gnarly - Different boats with different applications). Never paddled the OC Big Game so can’t make the comparison. Overall the Predator paddles easier than you would think for its’ specs. Although like most wide kayaks a current will grip it like Velcro. The higher hull sides will catch wind too. High sides can be a detriment when waves break inside the kayak. There is no bulkhead between the tank well and cockpit so it’s like a bathtub. A couple good waves breaking inside the boat and you have a lot of water weight that the 8 scuppers better get out fast. The BG probably shines in this area as it has lower sides and a bulkhead. Less propensity to hold a lot of water. The high sides of the Predator does give you a boat feel though and when the seat is flipped back out of the way the open space is nice to have and move around in. Standing is easy. I like the gap between the crate and seat of the Predator for quick storage not found on the BG. By the way, the Predators adjustable seat is fixed to the kayak and unless you remove some screws it does not come out. Even though the seat is fixed I can still easily pitch it upside down on the roof of my SUV. Note: while paddling a couple times the seat dropped out of its track. I just put a couple rubber cap ends on the support bar and that seemed to fix the problem. The console is much lower on the Predator than the BG. Although the console is high on my Ultra it poses no problem. I always carry a spare two-part paddle and it easily fits into the hull accessed through the console. 6.5 ft. Rods fit in there as well. Not sure if this can be done in the BG.
      p131.jpgp132.jpg
      Last edited by Fishtank; 02-21-2016, 11:37 AM.
      Ocean Kayak Ultra 4.7
      Predator 13

Comment

Originally posted by Fishtank View Post
        For what it’s worth, I have a Predator 13 and put endless hours on it. Have had it in conditions beyond its intended design but still performed surprisingly well. Great kayak in certain conditions (I also have an OC Trident Ultra 4.7 for distance and when conditions are predicted to be gnarly - Different boats with different applications). Never paddled the OC Big Game so can’t make the comparison. Overall the Predator paddles easier than you would think for its’ specs. Although like most wide kayaks a current will grip it like Velcro. The higher hull sides will catch wind too. High sides can be a detriment when waves break inside the kayak. There is no bulkhead between the tank well and cockpit so it’s like a bathtub. A couple good waves breaking inside the boat and you have a lot of water weight that the 8 scuppers better get out fast. The BG probably shines in this area as it has lower sides and a bulkhead. Less propensity to hold a lot of water. The high sides of the Predator does give you a boat feel though and when the seat is flipped back out of the way the open space is nice to have and move around in. Standing is easy. I like the gap between the crate and seat of the Predator for quick storage not found on the BG. By the way, the Predators adjustable seat is fixed to the kayak and unless you remove some screws it does not come out. Even though the seat is fixed I can still easily pitch it upside down on the roof of my SUV. Note: while paddling a couple times the seat dropped out of its track. I just put a couple rubber cap ends on the support bar and that seemed to fix the problem. The console is much lower on the Predator than the BG. Although the console is high on my Ultra it poses no problem. I always carry a spare two-part paddle and it easily fits into the hull accessed through the console. 6.5 ft. Rods fit in there as well. Not sure if this can be done in the BG.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]18242[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18243[/ATTACH]
        Thanks for the detailed info!

Comment

Working...
        X