No announcement yet.

Anyone trying to get into spearfishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone trying to get into spearfishing?

Initially I thought about trying my hand at some archery and later hunting this year, however after some thought I found it would be very difficult to find spots so I instead choose to try something I am familiar with. I want to try my hand at a polespear because I think personally I would be more comfortable using it as opposed to a spear gun. I mainly plan on diving at CHSP or the Ocean City Inlet on low/ outgoing tide as of now. First of course I want to make sure first that when summer comes around I get more comfortable with being underwater and training at the pool before I buy anything in case I change my mind.

If anyone is interested I would feel much safer having a dive buddy in case anything went wrong.

-Minh
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Don't know about what you are asking but do no that diving at the OC inlet during prime boating season could be a bit scary due to the boat traffic.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Nah. Do the archery thing. It's a huge industry that will spin your head though.
      Pretty much could pick up an entry level newer bow and set it up for 3d target and hunting. Swapping out a quick few minutes to bow fish if you wanted.
      Where are you from?
      Look at archerytalk forums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not into the archery thing, have a crossbow, but only for silent self defense. Bow hunting from an Kayak can be dangerous. Have done spearfishing in scuba gear many years ago. Have not done it for a long time.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I've always been interested in spearfishing. I did a bunch in Hawaii during my college internship. I used a spear pole too; didn't have the cash for a gun, and since I was only there for 5 months I figured it wasn't worth the investment. Enjoyed it a bunch. A little local kid showed me how to find octopus in the reefs - yummy!

I've kind of given up on the idea of getting back into it though. My inner ears start to hurt from the pressure of going down more than 15 ft anymore. Don't know if there is a remedy for that?

I've seen guys diving off Martha's Landing in the OC Inlet before for tog; not much current there on outgoing tide. They just swam off the bank from Stinky Beach (end of old ocean city rd). A diving partner sounds like a pretty solid plan for OC Inlet in case you get into trouble.
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
            I've always been interested in spearfishing. I did a bunch in Hawaii during my college internship. I used a spear pole too; didn't have the cash for a gun, and since I was only there for 5 months I figured it wasn't worth the investment. Enjoyed it a bunch. A little local kid showed me how to find octopus in the reefs - yummy!

I've kind of given up on the idea of getting back into it though. My inner ears start to hurt from the pressure of going down more than 15 ft anymore. Don't know if there is a remedy for that?

I've seen guys diving off Martha's Landing in the OC Inlet before for tog; not much current there on outgoing tide. They just swam off the bank from Stinky Beach (end of old ocean city rd). A diving partner sounds like a pretty solid plan for OC Inlet in case you get into trouble.
            Doesn't everyone's inner ear hurt when you dive if you don't compensate for the pressure or whatnot? I don't remember the term but it's basically just popping your ears?

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
              Doesn't everyone's inner ear hurt when you dive if you don't compensate for the pressure or whatnot? I don't remember the term but it's basically just popping your ears?
              If you can stand in your kayak, then try bowfishing. I do so in my Wavewalk 500.

Comment

You're supposed to equalize, but the last couple times I tried to swim deep I couldn't seem to equalize properly causing me much discomfort. Maybe I just need to try again sometime.
                Brian

Comment

You're supposed to equalize, but the last couple times I tried to swim deep I couldn't seem to equalize properly causing me much discomfort. Maybe I just need to try again sometime.
                  Wouldn't hurt to try I think there are a few different methods to equalize so maybe try a different one idk.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Comment

I use the Valsalva maneuver when snorkeling or on planes. Several varieties of equalization techniques can be seen at http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/me...n_Scuba_Diving.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Bow Fishing:
                      My neighbor and I went bow-fishing few times. The primary target species was snakehead. But later we were ready to shoot catfish because we couldn’t shoot anything. I told my neighbor that he had to eat catfish if he kills one. We tried it at Pohick Bay only. My friend was using a paddle board, so he was standing when we move slowly when we look for the fish.
                      Here are our problems:
                      Since we are on small plastic crafts, we were pushed by mild wind. And also, kayak and paddle board turned around before even we try to aim. It took too long to aim. We weren’t on a Jon boat. Putting down the paddle and grabbing the bow took too long to aim the target before the fish ran away from us. One day we will get one. But I know it will be a huge challenge. I won’t do it again unless my friend wants me to come with him.

Kayak-Spear fishing at CHSP
                      Pole Spear: I don’t recommend at all. You will lose it because of the poor water clarity. The visibility has to be at least 20’ to use the pole spear. You need a spear gun with at least two bands.
                      At CHSP, you don’t need those fancy equipment and outfits used in warm and clear water spear fishermen.
                      At CHSP you will wear wetsuit boots or tennis shoes to protect your feet. You will be resting or walk on the rocks often. You need scuba divers fins than long fins (to wear over the wetsuit boots/tennis shoes. You need an inexpensive full wetsuit at least 3mm in summer. Wetsuit will keep your body warm (water temp at CHSP 65-72F) and also protect you from barnacles. Since you are wearing a wetsuit, you need a weight belt and weights (8-12 LB at least)

You need a good anchor system. I use 3 anchors. One anchor and two anchors failed two different days. Anchor lines got cut.
                      You need divers flag on you kayak. You need a 25’ float line. You need a buoy for float line. I made my buoy by putting two crab pot buoy. If spear gets stuck in the crack, you let go the spear and ascend. Fetch the stuck spear by tracing the float line. I use women’s garden gloves/thin and tight work gloves. They can’t be leather or cotton.

There is current, always move against the current. When the current is strong, walk on the wall about a quarter mile, then come with the current.
                      Water temp changes very frequently while in the water, when the water is clear, the water is colder, and you will see tautog in the colder water.

Sharks are there all the time. Don’t panic. Look at them just like they look at you. Big ones will inspect you and will move away. You aren’t in their natural food group.

Make a good plan for carrying the equipment and putting back the equipment back to the kayak. Making very detailed plan (sequence of every steps) is important. For example, Put the first anchor in the water, Wear the wetsuit, Throw out the buoy and the float line (attached to the spear gun. Spear Gun is tethered to kayak), Wear wetsuit boot, Wear gloves, wear mask/snorkel, wear a weight belt, jump in the water, check and secure the first anchor, plant the second anchor. Plan the third anchor, get the spear gun.

At CBBT (mouth of Chesapeake Bay) the water is warmer in summer, you don’t need a wet suit.

joe
                      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                        Bow Fishing:
                        My neighbor and I went bow-fishing few times. The primary target species was snakehead. But later we were ready to shoot catfish because we couldn’t shoot anything. I told my neighbor that he had to eat catfish if he kills one. We tried it at Pohick Bay only. My friend was using a paddle board, so he was standing when we move slowly when we look for the fish.
                        Here are our problems:
                        Since we are on small plastic crafts, we were pushed by mild wind. And also, kayak and paddle board turned around before even we try to aim. It took too long to aim. We weren’t on a Jon boat. Putting down the paddle and grabbing the bow took too long to aim the target before the fish ran away from us. One day we will get one. But I know it will be a huge challenge. I won’t do it again unless my friend wants me to come with him.

Kayak-Spear fishing at CHSP
                        Pole Spear: I don’t recommend at all. You will lose it because of the poor water clarity. The visibility has to be at least 20’ to use the pole spear. You need a spear gun with at least two bands.
                        At CHSP, you don’t need those fancy equipment and outfits used in warm and clear water spear fishermen.
                        At CHSP you will wear wetsuit boots or tennis shoes to protect your feet. You will be resting or walk on the rocks often. You need scuba divers fins than long fins (to wear over the wetsuit boots/tennis shoes. You need an inexpensive full wetsuit at least 3mm in summer. Wetsuit will keep your body warm (water temp at CHSP 65-72F) and also protect you from barnacles. Since you are wearing a wetsuit, you need a weight belt and weights (8-12 LB at least)

You need a good anchor system. I use 3 anchors. One anchor and two anchors failed two different days. Anchor lines got cut.
                        You need divers flag on you kayak. You need a 25’ float line. You need a buoy for float line. I made my buoy by putting two crab pot buoy. If spear gets stuck in the crack, you let go the spear and ascend. Fetch the stuck spear by tracing the float line. I use women’s garden gloves/thin and tight work gloves. They can’t be leather or cotton.

There is current, always move against the current. When the current is strong, walk on the wall about a quarter mile, then come with the current.
                        Water temp changes very frequently while in the water, when the water is clear, the water is colder, and you will see tautog in the colder water.

Sharks are there all the time. Don’t panic. Look at them just like they look at you. Big ones will inspect you and will move away. You aren’t in their natural food group.

Make a good plan for carrying the equipment and putting back the equipment back to the kayak. Making very detailed plan (sequence of every steps) is important. For example, Put the first anchor in the water, Wear the wetsuit, Throw out the buoy and the float line (attached to the spear gun. Spear Gun is tethered to kayak), Wear wetsuit boot, Wear gloves, wear mask/snorkel, wear a weight belt, jump in the water, check and secure the first anchor, plant the second anchor. Plan the third anchor, get the spear gun.

At CBBT (mouth of Chesapeake Bay) the water is warmer in summer, you don’t need a wet suit.

joe
                        Joe, thanks for all the info. At the OC inlet I think I will beach my kayak then walk out on the south jetty. Hopefully I will be able to make it to CHSP a few times this summer and water will be clear.

Comment

Oh also I plan on teathering the polespear to my dive buoy. I do not have the funds to buy a speargun.

Comment

IF you so choose to take up bowhunting or just archery in general, you cannot go wrong with an entry level Bear compound... they come out the box accurate at 20yards all you need to buy otherwise is arrows/tips, release, and target. you can get all this for about $550ish for anywhere from $40-$200 you can add a bowfishing rig to it and use it for that also.. I do with mine .. I enjoy it very much feel free to pick my brain if you need to.

Initially I thought about trying my hand at some archery and later hunting this year, however after some thought I found it would be very difficult to find spots so I instead choose to try something I am familiar with. I want to try my hand at a polespear because I think personally I would be more comfortable using it as opposed to a spear gun. I mainly plan on diving at CHSP or the Ocean City Inlet on low/ outgoing tide as of now. First of course I want to make sure first that when summer comes around I get more comfortable with being underwater and training at the pool before I buy anything in case I change my mind.

If anyone is interested I would feel much safer having a dive buddy in case anything went wrong.

-Minh
                            2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Originally posted by suicyderider View Post
                              IF you so choose to take up bowhunting or just archery in general, you cannot go wrong with an entry level Bear compound... they come out the box accurate at 20yards all you need to buy otherwise is arrows/tips, release, and target. you can get all this for about $550ish for anywhere from $40-$200 you can add a bowfishing rig to it and use it for that also.. I do with mine .. I enjoy it very much feel free to pick my brain if you need to.
                              Read the Maryland regs first. You have to be a certain distance from other boats/people. You can find them in the licensing guide now. I pestered the done for several years because no one knew what they were including the dnr officers. Most of my spear fishing s offshore on scuba gear. Check out OC diver. Jeremiah is captain and I have been diving with him for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X