No announcement yet.

March meet and greet...Potomac Blue Cats at Marshall Hall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, how deep is the water? Just asking for anchoring purposes. Thanks!

Comment

We fish in 10-20 ft so if upu

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
      14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
      2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I assume it's OK if people opt to fish from shore as well? I was hoping to maybe bring a friend or 2 from work down, not sure if they have kayaks though. If not, they can just fish from shore, which I might do if I get it's kind of choppy and I don't feel safe on the kayak without a wetsuit/drysuit.

Comment

Two more here in for fishing and lunch. I like this cat fishing stuff, I can sleep in a little.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
            Just remember that Blue catfish grow to enormous size- the Maryland state record came from this area and for that reason- I fish with heavier tackle and a single hook fish finder rig- it would be a shame for you to hook a monster fish on small hook double bottom rig that has little chance of landing the fish...and blue cats are pretty tasty on the table, too- I don't eat big ones, but anything under 30 inches comes home for filets...
            ^^^^ this. If you haven't gone for blue cats don't underestimate these beasts. I'd go with a FF rig or a 3 way breakaway rig if the bottom is snag city. I use heavy braid, and 6/0-8/0 wide gap circle hooks and still have great success hooking even the small ones. This footage isn't the best, but it's all I had after a day of messing around on the Potomac. Using big chunks of cut bait
            Zack
            Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
            Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
            "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
              Two more here in for fishing and lunch. I like this cat fishing stuff, I can sleep in a little.
              Got ya Donv+1

Comment

Originally posted by sega View Post
                ^^^^ this. If you haven't gone for blue cats don't underestimate these beasts. I'd go with a FF rig or a 3 way breakaway rig if the bottom is snag city. I use heavy braid, and 6/0-8/0 wide gap circle hooks and still have great success hooking even the small ones. This footage isn't the best, but it's all I had after a day of messing around on the Potomac. Using big chunks of cut bait
                The way you're dressin that one...it must have been june? Was that in DC?

Comment

Oh yea that was in June or July I believe. That was a little down river from Fletchers. I love that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Zack
                  Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                  Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                  "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Have been reading this post since the beginning an thinking about the the 2 hour drive from HC. I cant take it anymore, Count me in even though I have never fished for catfish, I think I got this. Can use my surf fishing rigs for cats. Kevin, I am in for both barring the weather. Thanks
                    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                    Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

So... with circle hooks do you keep the drag fairly tight and let the fish use the resistance to set the hook? First time targeting cats. Need to watch some youtube!

Comment

From my experience with circle hooks surf fishing, the fish sets the hook. All you have to do is land the fish.
                        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Thanks, Freddie. I watched some vids. Looks easy enough!

Comment

Originally posted by cryptotek View Post
                            Thanks, Freddie. I watched some vids. Looks easy enough!
                            Glad to hear I won't be the only catfish newbie!
                            New to the game but not a rookie!

Comment

I use 7/0 to 10/0 circle hooks on a fish finder rig. There are two thoughts on hooking a big catfish that I have heard. Some say to keep the drag snug and let the bend in the rod set the hook right away. The other is to keep the reel in free spool/loose drag or use a live line reel and let the catfish take line for a 3 to 5 count then tighten the drag and let the fish hook itself. I use both methods depending on bottom structure. I don't like to let them run to far if they will get me snagged. I have found the colder the water the more the catfish will pick up the bait move it and then drop it. When that is happening I will move to smaller J hooks and set the hook myself.

Here are a few of the Blue catfish I have caught on the Potomac.

catfish 1.jpg catfish 2.jpg catfish 3.JPG catfish 4.jpg catfish 5.jpg
                              Jim

Hobie Outback
                              TKAA member
                              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

A few more fat cats.

catfish 6.jpg catfish 7.jpg catfish 8.jpg catfish 9.JPG
                                Jim

Hobie Outback
                                TKAA member
                                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

Working...
                                X