What kind of radio do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of radio do you use?

Can anyone give me a recommendation on a make/model for a radio? I haven't gone out anywhere yet where I felt I needed one, but I would prefer to have a radio in the event that I should need it. I am looking for something functional, but not too expensive. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Do a search of the forums. There have been many threads discussing the various models. Standard Horizon seems to be one of the all time favorites and Cobra coming along as a strong contender. You should be able to get a nice unit for around $100.

Comment

+1 on the Standard Horizon. Mine is a floating 750 which I have had for about 4 years. Don't expect great range when using the rubber ducky antenna especially if you are fishing in the Severn.

Regards,

John
      John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
      MK Endura Max 55 backup power
      Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
        +1 on the Standard Horizon. Mine is a floating 750 which I have had for about 4 years. Don't expect great range when using the rubber ducky antenna especially if you are fishing in the Severn.

Regards,

John
        +1

Comment

I have a handheld Standard Horizon radio and I get pretty good reception in the Severn and elsewhere.

In fact it can get annoying on Channel 68 and I'll turn it off or down.

I hear the Annapolis Water Taxis announcing their fare counts.

I hear boaters coming into Annapolis seeking a berth.

I hear crabbers complaining about empty pots.

I hear other fishermen from Kent Narrows to north of Bay Bridge talking about tides, weather and occasionally they'll even admit to catching fish.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            I have a handheld Standard Horizon radio and I get pretty good reception in the Severn and elsewhere.

In fact it can get annoying on Channel 68 and I'll turn it off or down.

I hear the Annapolis Water Taxis announcing their fare counts.

I hear boaters coming into Annapolis seeking a berth.

I hear crabbers complaining about empty pots.

I hear other fishermen from Kent Narrows to north of Bay Bridge talking about tides, weather and occasionally they'll even admit to catching fish.
            Mark,

What model SH radio do you have? Maybe mine is getting on but I don't get great reception north of the route 50 bridge.

Regards,

John
            John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Originally posted by john from md View Post
              Mark,

What model SH radio do you have? Maybe mine is getting on but I don't get great reception north of the route 50 bridge.
              John,

HX851

Remember -- Those boats I'm hearing probably have larger transmitters than our handheld radios. I don't know that I could converse with them. But I can certainly hear them.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                John,

HX851

Remember -- Those boats I'm hearing probably have larger transmitters than our handheld radios. I don't know that I could converse with them. But I can certainly hear them.
                Roger that. I may look at getting a new model anyway. After all, what good is a tax refund if you can't spend it on something fun.

John
                John

Vibe Skipjack 90

Comment

Working...
                X