Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Float Fishing the Tuckahoe between Hillsboro & Rt. 328? Worthwhile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float Fishing the Tuckahoe between Hillsboro & Rt. 328? Worthwhile?

Been wanting to explore the Tuckahoe river and am wondering what this stretch is like. Looks to be about a ten mile trip following the meandering path of the river and looks like a very pristine area. Also to my very untrained eye looksto be good bass fishing water with possibly some pike or snakeheads.

I did see another launch south of Hillsboro I had not noticed before, Coveys Landing Rd. Would shorten the trip being used as ether a launch or takeout. Not set on any particular stretch and open to any guidance or suggestions as to what stretch is best for kayaking. Best launch, best take out, etc. are all open to suggestions.

Any information and/or feedback on the conditions, cautions or best targeted species on the stretch would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by DonV; 03-13-2016, 09:02 PM.

I have only been on the stretch from the Hillsboro town launch about a mile upstream and half a mile downstream. Last Monday I found yellow perch upstream but nowhere else. They are about finished with their spawn and will move off. White perch are likely to be in the river, but I have no personal experience on how and where to find them.

I also fished in the lake at Tuckahoe State Park twice without getting a bite either time. I am not particularly skilled at freshwater fishing and cannot offer much advice.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks for the response John. You talking about your trip for yellow perch trip the other day at lunch and me driving by the river today has sparked my interest again in it. I'm in no rush but am considering a spring trip and am sure the yellows will be gone before I can get there.

I'm a little more interested in the logistics end and hope somebody can maybe fill us both in.

I do know that years ago I used to fish at the Rt.328 ramp from shore and did very well with some nice size channel cats. If I remember right the current moves along strong down at that end. In the river above 404, the lake and the spillway I have have had some good luck but know next to nothing about the area I mention. Hate to head down and get stuck in some mud marsh at low tide or something. Very wild looking area with little development and my quick searches tonight have not gave me much hard information.

Comment

I have brother-in-law that use to canoe the Tuckahoe, it was always one of his favorite paddles. My one recommendation other that the fishing, would be to try and get some local Intel (maybe from the State Park folks) concerning the amount of strainers (downed trees) that could be a real pain in the a**. We have had a very bad winter as far as high winds go. I volunteer for the Nassawango Creek Nature Conservancy, and our most popular paddle trail is inpassable. We have scheduled a workday to go in Jon boats with chainsaws in order to clear it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hemingway View Post
          I have brother-in-law that use to canoe the Tuckahoe, it was always one of his favorite paddles. My one recommendation other that the fishing, would be to try and get some local Intel (maybe from the State Park folks) concerning the amount of strainers (downed trees) that could be a real pain in the a**. We have had a very bad winter as far as high winds go. I volunteer for the Nassawango Creek Nature Conservancy, and our most popular paddle trail is inpassable. We have scheduled a workday to go in Jon boats with chainsaws in order to clear it out.
          Thanks that is a good idea about contacting the park, just didn't cross my mind. I did see some mention of strainers in one of the few sources I could find of paddling that stretch. From the looks of Google earth it is fairly wide below Hillsboro and seems doable but I'm still hoping to get some of the local knowledge you mention.

Just found this if anyone else is interested. Choptank & Tuckahoe Water Trails. Page 10 Section 5 Tuckahoe is the exact trip I'm considering.
          http://smithtrail.net/files/ChoptankTuckahoe.pdf

Comment

the river below hillsboro is wide enough that downed trees will not be an issue . the yellow perch run is coming to an end and the white perch will be starting soon . after the perch runs you will find catfish , lots of pickerel and a few bass . for the best bass fishing the tide is everything . thats true on all eastern shore rivers but especially true on the God forsaken choptank . the last hour of outgoing is always your best bet . take a look at marshyhope creek , just as scenic and much better bass fishing . good luck
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2014 Jackson Kilroy

Comment

The pickerel are fun to catch. I hooked into one a couple weeks ago.
              A big snakehead was caught in the river last yr.

Comment

Appreciate the hard intel guys. Now I have to decide if I do the whole stretch or to Coveys Landing.

Comment

Working...
                X