Knots...Swivels...Grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knots...Swivels...Grass

Hey guys, first time posting a thread. Didn't see this when doing a search but I know it's probably come up in the past.

Does anyone have tips for avoiding grass/algae on your lines? When trolling, I continually get junk wrapping around the alberto knot where i'm going from braid to Mono, and on any hardware after. Probably have 30 - 50 yards of mono or fluro before the switch on my rigs, too short? The answer should be go deeper and avoid the grass, but I had the same problem even working channels. The susky is spitting out the junk with all of her might this spring, just a part of the spring flush or does anyone have and old tricks they'd share.

Thanks..

I use an FG knot to tie my leader on. It's very low profile and can snip the tag end off very close. I have never had one pull out even with big rays.

Comment

I was going to welcome you to the site but see you've been a member since 2013. Anyway, I don't think there is any cure for weed on the lines on the Susky and Flats. I know this is unconventional and not really a purist comment, but I don't use leader on my braid. if your spooling 50 yards of mono or fluro then just load the reel with one or the other. The only secret I know of during the summer and fall to eliminate weed is to fish somewhere else.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
        The only secret I know of during the summer and fall to eliminate weed is to fish somewhere else.
        x2

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
          I was going to welcome you to the site but see you've been a member since 2013. Anyway, I don't think there is any cure for weed on the lines on the Susky and Flats. I know this is unconventional and not really a purist comment, but I don't use leader on my braid. if your spooling 50 yards of mono or fluro then just load the reel with one or the other. The only secret I know of during the summer and fall to eliminate weed is to fish somewhere else.
          Thanks for the welcome in any event. Alan's book honestly brought me out of the shadows and back on the water about two months earlier than I normally get out.

Moving to another spot probably makes the most sense, and I may just try one reel with all mono. Started to make the switch to braid a few years back with surf fishing, and ended up learning the hard way about the need for a shock leader to handle the long casts. I wanted to have versatility in the reels for the upper bay casting, and to bring them to the surf.

Time for some experimentation.

Comment

Working...
          X