Rehoboth or Dewey Beach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rehoboth or Dewey Beach?

My wife booked our family vacation last night. We will be staying between Dewey and Rehoboth beaches in mid July. The place we rented has storage for kayaks so I cant pass up the opportunity. Does anyone have any advice for that area in mid July? I could use advice on places to put in and what I should be looking for. Thanks for any help you guys may have to offer.
    Tarpon 120, no electronics, no pedals.
    Tarpon 100, the karma boat.

If you would like to catch some nice size bass I would suggest going to either Trapp Pond or Tressum (spelling?) Pond. They are about a mile from each other. There is also 2 other ponds around the same area. Trapp Pond is bigger and actually one of the top bass fishing spots in the US (maybe top 20). Tressum is like fishing in the deep south. It's filled with submerged stumps and bald Cypress tress. If you go to Tressum paddle slowly of you could end up capsized or stuck on a stump. I've caught nice fish at both spots. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Brian. I will be looking into both ponds. I am also hoping to get into the salt be it beach launch or bayside.

Comment

Cape Henlopen or Rosevelt Inlet, drift fishing for flounder.
        Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
        Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Thanks. Safe in a Tarpon 120?

Comment

I would think a tarpon 120 would be fine. Just keep and eye on the wind conditions. Not much different then the Susky except for stronger tides.
            Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
                Thanks. Safe in a Tarpon 120?
                Safe but be careful.

I had my Tarpon knockoff Pescador in the surf in OBX and was really surprised how well it handled. Fairly mild surf the day I tried but think it would have handled a bit more well. That was a bare kayak and I would have been a lot more nervous loaded up with gear that could be lost. At the same time it started feeling really small the further out into the ocean I paddled. The ocean is very big. Mid summer is usually kind of slow in the surf and I think Salty Dog's advice about the inlets may be better launch locations.

Going to be crowded in vacation season. Keep an eye on the weather and two on the crazy boaters. The good thing is there should be enough boats around to help if any emergency would come up, if you can get them to put down the beer and slow down.

Comment

I don't recommend ocean launches in Delaware or Maryland unless you practice, practice, practice. July is a great time to launch on the bay side an practice your turtle technique with an empty yak, i do it every summer and have a blast. Once you get comfortable with recovery from a turtle, you can practice ocean side. I have only launched ocean side 2 times in 3 years and both were from Chincoteague flat water. Rods need to be flat on the yak for an ocean launch, minimum equipment and secure. If you anticipate a turtle, you recovery is quick and easy. Once you get past the break, life is sweet. One hell of a rush. Not to mention surfing the yak on the return. Expect WET and enjoy the ride.
                  Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

One thing I forgot, leash everything on the yak.
                    Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I use an app called Launch sites it has most of the Delaware beach area launches listed. There are several launches just south of Dewey Beach on the bayside that you can launch into the Rehoboth Bay. Here is a list and a link to the Delaware State parks site.

http://www.destateparks.com/activiti.../locations.asp

Lewes boat ramp- Lewes Canal -Roosevelt inlet
                      Cape Henlopen launch - Delaware Bay
                      Tower Road - Bay; New Road; Savages Ditch- Rehoboth Bay

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
                        I don't recommend ocean launches in Delaware or Maryland unless you practice, practice, practice. July is a great time to launch on the bay side an practice your turtle technique with an empty yak, i do it every summer and have a blast. Once you get comfortable with recovery from a turtle, you can practice ocean side. I have only launched ocean side 2 times in 3 years and both were from Chincoteague flat water. Rods need to be flat on the yak for an ocean launch, minimum equipment and secure. If you anticipate a turtle, you recovery is quick and easy. Once you get past the break, life is sweet. One hell of a rush. Not to mention surfing the yak on the return. Expect WET and enjoy the ride.
                        Why do you say not Maryland and Delaware? Just the nature of the beaches here?

I'm slightly interested in ocean fishing but as I said earlier, the 120 started feeling very small when I got out past the breakers. Always have it in the back of the mind also, that a nice easy surf launch could turn into a real ordeal on the way back in, with a slight weather change. Maybe if I was a younger man I'd be more interested. It was fun paddling around in the surf the day I did try but a kayak full of gear that could be lost may take some away just worrying about it all. It sure is a different ballgame and I don't think I have the heart to play, unless I can be assured of 5 mph wind all day. No fastballs please.

Comment

DelMar beaches have deeper water in the wash which causes bigger breaks. Having said that, after October and January storms, this all might have changed.
                          Freddie T

Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I will try to concentrate on the bayside and I do plan to attempt the beach but I will likely take no gear or just one rod strapped down and a small box. I don't want to open hatches while I am on the other side of the breakers.

Does anyone know of any kayak guides in that area?

Comment

Originally posted by Backdoc View Post
                              Thanks for the advice. I think I will try to concentrate on the bayside and I do plan to attempt the beach but I will likely take no gear or just one rod strapped down and a small box. I don't want to open hatches while I am on the other side of the breakers.

Does anyone know of any kayak guides in that area?
                              Check with the guys at Delaware Paddlesports. I think they do group kayak trips.

http://www.delawarepaddlesports.com/

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X