2013 WS tarpon hatch problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 WS tarpon hatch problem

I experienced leaking issues and have researched the issue. Seems most people have noticed the problem, but few have remedied it. This is what i found that gap is on the hinge side. Also noticed the lip on the lid doesnt even go into the groove on the base it actually sit about a 1/4 inch above it, how did WS this was going to seal correctly? Any ways, im not expecting these plastic hatches to be completely water tight, but i atleast want to trust my boat in rough conditions. There fore instead of spending another 1,000+ ( i have a problem with buying used stuff), figured id try to fix the issue. Has any one else come up with a solution?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Wilderness was sending out a gasket kit back in the day to help with this problem, and since 2015 I believe was the year they re designed the hatch. You can contact them about a fix. Since it is second hand they may or may not charge you. Worth a shot....

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
    Tan-Tarpon 140
    Lime-Pelican Matrix
    Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Those hatches are junk. They leak through the hinge area. When I had a tarpon, I filled the hull to find that out. Had a brand new replacement hatch and leaks just as bad as the old one did. New gasket will not help. Seal it with silicone or something if you don't want it to leak, but then you don't have a working hatch. There is no fix that I know of other than cutting out an opening for a hatch that is actually somewhat water tight.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE View Post
        Those hatches are junk. They leak through the hinge area. When I had a tarpon, I filled the hull to find that out. Had a brand new replacement hatch and leaks just as bad as the old one did. New gasket will not help. Seal it with silicone or something if you don't want it to leak, but then you don't have a working hatch. There is no fix that I know of other than cutting out an opening for a hatch that is actually somewhat water tight.
        That's a pretty horrendous situation. I'll stick with my copy cat Perception Pescador that I got for $360 with the old Tupperware type hatch cover, never leaks. I'd be pretty damn outraged after spending a grand or so on a kayak and have it leaking. I get the shudders when I hear stories about hulls filling up. That stuff could get someone in big trouble.

Comment

The only other solution I was able to find was a guy that took a heat gun at 1000°, heated the plastic up and placed a clam on the separated part to help re set it. I don't know about this issue as I've never experienced it when I had a "12 ride 115 or with my "12 tarpon 140.

Tan-Tarpon 140
          Lime-Pelican Matrix
          Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

tmp_28339-20160326_062143169006895.jpg
            Here is an orbix hatch sitting on top of a round hobie hatch. I don't have a tarpon handy to look at the hull surface, but you could probably enlarge the hole and install a hobie hatch. The hole would only need to be enlarged by about 3/8 diameter...but I can't remember there is a recessed area for the hatch on the tarpon, so might not work. Could probably get a used hobie hatch pretty cheap since I think quite a few people have cut their outback hulls for rectangular hatches. Maybe one of those Tupperware style hatches would fit also?

The orbix hatch was not a problem on my ride 135 because of how high the hatch area is above the scuppers and being a pretty dry, well draining hull design.
            I had problems taking on water in scary situations in the tarpon 140 several times. Always in heavy current and chop....took on so much water one time almost had to ditch everything and start swimming. The older tarpons are nice overall, but stay way under the rated weight capacity if you go out in open water. 150 lb person plus some gear is max for the tarpon 140 with that orbit hatch to be safe imo.

Comment

Well I now stand corrected. Im not usually out with breakers but have had some come over the bow from time to time. This morning I did the "lets spray the kayak with the hose test" and there was about a cup of water after a few mins. So if conditions were dicey I now see how this could be a HUGE problem. Currently will be working on my hatch as well, and will keep you posted if what I have in mind works.

Tan-Tarpon 140
              Lime-Pelican Matrix
              Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

Ok, so after a quick trip to the hardware store I have a solution. (for the time being, no long term texting) I pick up one of the weather strip kits and stuck it to the outside lid of the hatch, around where the lid hits the stock foam gasket. This one that I picked up said it was good for marine applications but if it starts to peel off I can always use a stronger adhesive. After applying the weather strip to the hatch I ran the same ol lets spray it with a hose for 3-5 mins. After turning off the water and wiping away excess water around the hatch I was pleased to see no water that had seeped in. Now again this is not real world testing, nor speaking for the longevity of this weather strip. But for 4 bucks I think it will work for my application till I can find something better. ( id still like to use the heat gun to line up the hatches)

Tan-Tarpon 140
                Lime-Pelican Matrix
                Yellow-Scrambler XT

Comment

What i have found so far..the lip that is on the underside of the lid doesnt even sit inside the groove on the base. Theres a clean 1/2 inch or so gap that is still open. And the warping of the lid doesnt exactly help things. Im gonna have to pick up some of that foam you mentioned and try it out. I also plan to replace the cheesy foam gasket that is originally in there with a clear silicone seal and build it up to where it contacts the lip on the underside of the lid. Sorry pics will have to wait, at work currently.

Comment

Heres a picture of where the lip on the lid and base....

The gasket that it provided by WS isny tall enough the contact the lip on the lid as it sit just about flush with the base. Leaving the yellow area open and susceptible to leaking.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by lovett88 View Post
                      Ok, so after a quick trip to the hardware store I have a solution. (for the time being, no long term texting) I pick up one of the weather strip kits and stuck it to the outside lid of the hatch, around where the lid hits the stock foam gasket. This one that I picked up said it was good for marine applications but if it starts to peel off I can always use a stronger adhesive. After applying the weather strip to the hatch I ran the same ol lets spray it with a hose for 3-5 mins. After turning off the water and wiping away excess water around the hatch I was pleased to see no water that had seeped in. Now again this is not real world testing, nor speaking for the longevity of this weather strip. But for 4 bucks I think it will work for my application till I can find something better. ( id still like to use the heat gun to line up the hatches) ....
                      Registered to say thanks for that.
                      Had similar issues with a brand new no-name kayak that I got pretty cheap (and cheerful).
                      The hatch and the replacement one I ordered online leaked a lot (and a bit, respectively)
                      So used the draught excluder but with an extra layer at the leaky end (along the rim and over the top of the plastic sealing ring on the hatch cover) and lo and behold there is no more leaking (well very little) even with a decent spray/submerge test and going out through some surf (enough to fill the scuppers on the bow and leave the hatch coaming and stern - leaky- end of the cover fully submerged for a while) ......so, again, thanks very much. Now I have a spare hatch but the original is reasonably water tight.
                      So all good as the replacement hatch with gaskets, etc was only $25US and the kayak (a knock off of the Ocean Kayak Trident 4.1)was all of $320US (inc a paddle and seat) so I'm not complaining too hard.
                      Cheers, from New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                      X