Jigging for Stripers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jigging for Stripers

There have been a lot of reports of people jigging for stripers. Personally, I prefer to liveline and do very little jigging. I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread on different techniques and retrieves people use.

also, what are your favorite lures and colors to use?

lets have at it!
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

I like white/silver or neon green/ chartruse bkd's on 3/4-1 1/2 oz jig heads

Ive found a new 6'' grub thats producing too ill post up its name later when i find the packag.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

I use 6" BKDs, primarily in chartreuse with metal flake and white, but I also have some opening night and albino pink. I like them because they're local and relatively affordable. I use 3/4oz to 2oz jig heads. Most of the ones I have now are from tightlinesoutfitters.com. They're good hooks, the exact weight (unlike most store bought jig heads), and cheap. They offer a shorter shanked hook now that I think will be better for croaker jigging, but I haven't found any horses to test it out.

I also use Gulp 5" jerk shads in white, chartreuse, white with black back, and white with chartreuse back. I picked up some 7" jerk shads last year for the August M&G, but they weren't anymore effective (jigging skunk that day). I also have some 6" bass assassin I found on sale somewhere. Those are white and shad (white with silvery back and blue glitter), I think. I also picked up some Z-man bluefish-resistant jerk shads, but I haven't tried them yet.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

In the order I usually cycle through

4" Sassy Shads - Pearl or Chartreuse

6" BKD's, - Chartreuse, White, Alewife, Pink, Opening night or whatever I have around

Swamp Munkey- bunker, spunky, or cotton candy with a fluke trailer. Testing new bullet head version with bkd trailer

Zoom Fluke - White, Alewife, Chartreuse, White Ice, Pink

Trying to use more metal this year... and keep up with posting reports.
        Last edited by Redfish12; 07-12-2011, 06:14 PM.
        Used to fish more.

Comment

you know what they say: any color will do as long as its white! i'll start out white/pearl BKD and if its not producing switch to chartreuse then pink. when jigging buck tails w/pearl, w/char, char/pink(electric chicken) at night its black on black or bk on red. some times white and blue bt work well. butterfly jigs i like to match bunker colors in green blue silver. ive been tying bucktails with uv pearl flash mixed in, they look pretty cool in the water they just need to produce fish

Comment

For color i would say any variation of white, pearl, or chartreuse will work fine. As far as technique, the Shawn Kimbro chesapeake light tackle site has great descriptions of how to jig the bridge and other structure in the bay. I have personally done well with BKDs, Zoom Flukes, and 5" yammamoto saltwater swim baits.

Comment

bay:

6" and 10" bkd pink/chart/white on a 1/2 to 1oz jig depending on current

any white/chart paddle tail on jig (do try jiggin these rather than just swimming horizontally)

in the fall, gulp nuclear chicken and kastmasters(but that aint jiggin)

still looking for a fish off the bottom though as all have been surface or suspended (probably why i haven't jigged a flounder yet as well)

tell you one thing, the feeling of a hit on light tackle is much more fulfilling than that of live lining or soaking.

sweetwater:

mostly horizontal work using spinners and crankbaits, but i do LOVE jiggin and swimming trusty Motor Oil Power Bait with a tiny bullet weight, hooked weedless.
              sigpic

Comment

Just 4-6" charteuse and white shad on 3/4-1oz jigheads, like everyone else lol. I also have these big Gulp Alive red sandworms too I should try out one of these days... I bought them a few months back and haven't even used them.
                2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

What Surf, said...white is the first choice. White bucktails dressed with a twister tail or, more so lately gulp. White/black then chartreuse, yellow, white/red head and black. BKD's Bass assassins & shads...

Comment

live lining

Pinch you seem to be the go to guy for live lining . I'm new to the salt water thing ,fished fresh water for years but, have started branching out to some salt after joining MKF forum . Went to SPSP a few times no luck can you give me a quick run down hooks, line, depth time of day .
                    Bad day fishing is better than a good day at work .

Comment

Pinch you have got it down. Nice fish lately!!!!

When I was trying to figure the live-lining thing out I found a write up Jet did awhile back - here you go

http://www.snaggedline.com/boatyard/showthread.php?t=5

I haven't tried the unweighted method yet bc I don't anchor out there. I put an egg sinker above the swivel, leader to circle hook, and then a 3-6 inch spot hooked through the upper lip and out a nostril. This way I can drop it down and use the paddle to hold myself near the pilings, plus the spot lives a long time like this, unless blues are around. I leave the reel in free spool and when line starts to take of, I put the reel in gear and let the rod do the rest so I can chase the fish out of the pilings. It's a blast!
                      Used to fish more.

Comment

When live lining, I hook the spot thru the back, above the spot. I learned/was taught that spot open their mouths to breathe, keeping water flowing over the gills. The theory I was taught says the hook thru the nose prevents them from doing this. Also effects their ability to swim naturally.

I go unweighted with fresh, lively spot. They can swim to the bottom quite well when still lively. If they become lethargic, or if I need to get it down quick past pesky blues, then I add weight to help get it down.
                        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Some good information here. http://www.snaggedline.com/boatyard/...ht=live+lining Other threads around too. There is a little bit of variation from person to person, whether you hook by the dorsal fin or through the mouth weight or no weight etc but they are more personal preference than cut and dried rules from what I have seen. Personally like a weight then my line hangs vertical and I can maneuver my bait in and around the pylons. Good fishin

Chimo

Comment

ive been hooking them through the dorsal fin. ive noticed that they last longer this way. either way works
                            Hobie Revolution 13
                            Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

i still stick the hook through the nose...just works better for me as the myth is stripers inhale bait head first, its easier to rip out of it's mouth to set the hook and i get much less gut hooks(wierd considering if stripers do inhale headfirst)... btw, they swim fine with it in their mouth, but if anything, i think you would want non natural swimmer to mimic an injured or confused bait fish.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X