Main Line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Main Line

Pinch reminded of a decent topic by one of his recent posts...

What main line are you running on you're reels.

For the past 2 years or so, ive had the same Fireline original 20lb on one of my yak spinners...

i did try suffix 30lb braid for a while, and it was ok, but after months, just prefer fireline, so both now have fireline.

my gf's (boat/Yak bay reel) reel still holds 3 year old 20lb berkley big game solar

for leaders, i typically use 60lb clear big game mono

(on surf conventionals, i use 20lb big game solar with 80lb cajun shock leaders and powerboat trolling i use same 20lb solar with 60-80lb clear big game mono leader)

freshwater: 8lb or 12lb mono Berkley, period.
    sigpic

20-30lb braid and 50lb fluro leader
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

17-20lb power pro. Capped with 40lb vanish flouro. One is capped with some random cheap 25lb mono.
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

10, 15, 20, 30, 40 braid in various manufacturers depending on if I am trolling or jigging. I have been pretty pleased with power pro and most of my stuff is that. I was most displeased with cabelas hi-viz and spiderwire stealth. Suffix and the sonic stuff work fine. I got some cheap pelagic extreme on ebay for like $6 for 300yds, stuff is actually great!

For leader I use either 20 lb hiseas flouro, 30lb hi seas quattro, or whatever else I have laying around which is usually big game in 20lb that I used on my live-lining reels. For casting lures in places with tons of snags I use 12lb hiseas, the stuff is incredible.

I started with 30lb powerpro for casting conventionals and I've been working my way down to 10 lb.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Power Pro til I die! 10# to 20# test with 40lb Ande as a leader. I tried Spiderwire for a while, but hated the stuff!!! For my light setups for panfish I use mono... any brand will work!

Comment

Most of my spinners have 20-30# power pro or suffix braid with 30-50# big game for leader. My baitcasters are 17# sufix tritanium with up to 80# leader.
            '12 Ocean Kayak Prowler trident 13 Orange
            '09 Wilderness Systems Ride 135 Red
            Kayak Fishing Mafia

-Both fish and men are often caught with artificial's-

Comment

on my spinners i use 20lb fireline and 40lb power pro. i used to be all about fireline but im really liking power pro.
              Hobie Revolution 13
              Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I have power pro on everything except my 8 & Bait heaver. I stick with 17 lb suffix on that and 40 to 60lb pink ande shock leaders depending on what i plan on doing.

I'm slowly switching over to flouro for my leaders on the lighter stuff. That stuff is expensive.

Only time i wish i went back to mono is on windy days. Braid sails like a kite

Comment

15lb Trilene Mono w 40lb fluoro leader when live lining/bottom fishing on my Penn GT2/Slammer. My larger spinner rod has Trilene 10lb test mono and the smaller one (usually used for freshwater) has 8lb test, no leaders usually. I use the spinners just for lure jigging/casting.
                  2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

i use 14-20lbs fireline crystal on my spinners for the kayak with a 20lbs fluro. leader when using jigs or bucktails ( i want to break it off when i want ) and never had a problem. on surf stuff its all power pro 20-60lbs no shock need with spinning outfits. ive been trying out some moyomi diamond braid in 30lbs casts pretty good no that its getting broken in. a fishing buddy dougnv from p&s turned me on to a breakaway cannon and it added 30yds to my cast and no worrying about cutting my finger on the braid. pretty cool gadget

Comment

Main: 12# trilene, 17# Big game, 20# power pro
                      Leader: 50# mono

I've seen that cannon and wondered if it worked well. So far, I'm using a 3" section of bicycle tire tube to protect my index finger for surf casting on spinners. Works well.
                      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

i use it on my 12'er helps when tossing 8 and bait.cut my finger when i first changed over to braid years ago because the drag was too loose, never happened again. bait feeders are great for the surf dont have to mess with the main drag just click the rear drag and set it in the spike no fuss no muss

Comment

powerpro ......... different # tests

Comment

I use but don't like Big Game too much. Doesn't seem flexible enough for easy spinner casting. Other than braid, any recommendations on easy-cast mono?

Surf, I don't have and never used a baitfeeder. Will have to try it one day. Right now, I'm always adjusting the drag on my spinners.
                            2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                            2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
                            X