Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
      Are you riding with me?
      I think I'm riding with Langston. But if you're leaving before he does... LOL!

Comment

I will be there Thursday around 11:00 AM.
        I don't think I never had fishing license in Long Island. Do I need one this year?

Joe
        Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-08-2016, 09:12 PM.
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Joe, no license required but there is a registration required and a free permit you should print and carry on you. http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html

I'm really excited you are coming this year!
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Michael,
            Where do we camp? Do you have site numbers our members usually stay? I want my site next to our members'

Joe
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Full pago.jpg

Here you go Joe.

Comment

Is that a paved parking lot? How do you pitch a tent?
                2015 Hobie Outback
                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                  Concrete ramps and taxiways for the old airport would be more accurate but yup, most of the area is wide open hardstand. If you get there early you try and snag one of the campsites up by the entrance otherwise I've seen people use sandbags, rocks, their vehicles etc to anchor their tents in place with varying levels of success.

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                    I didn't arrive until mud- Thursday last year and ended up camping on the tarmac. I parked my vehicle on the windward side of my camp and used 20 lb weights to tie down corners of my canopy. Worked well for me.

Viking Profish Reload
                    Hobie Outback
                    Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

Dang!
                      I found that my wife gave away my tent. I think I should buy a mini van instead of a tent. But She gave me the look.

Redfish12,
                      I will bring rods and reels. But I am going to steal your tackles and fishing spots. So bring more tackles.

All,
                      Is this place a full featured camp site?
                      Are there shower facilities?
                      Are we allowed to cook, open fire, burner?
                      Are there Grocery store near by?
                      Are there AC outlets? How do you charge laptop or batteries? using cigarette and USB ports on the vehicle?
                      Do you bring large coolers with foods/drinks/?
                      Where do you get ice?
                      Any 5 star hotel nearby?
                      is insect repellent needed?
                      Finally, is beer allowed?

Joe
                      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 04-09-2016, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Joe, I will bring extra everything for you and others if people need anything and I will definitely show you any / all spots I know.

Is this place a full featured camp site? ** Not quite, but it gets better every year.

Are there shower facilities? ** There are limited shower options but they had trailers last year that had them. Plan on 1 or 2 showers for the weekend.

Are we allowed to cook, open fire, burner? **Open fire, grills, stoves, etc all allowed and I will be bringing a 2 burner stove

Are there Grocery store near by? **No, not really

Are there AC outlets? How do you charge laptop or batteries? using cigarette and USB ports on the vehicle? ** Car charger

Do you bring large coolers with foods/drinks/? ** Yes, but make sure it has a latch or bring a bungee cord (RACOOOONS!)

Where do you get ice? **There are a few gas stations / bait shops near by

Any 5 star hotel nearby? **Not that I am aware of. There are some dodgey ones over by the airport and in sheepshead bay but they are kinda far in traffic, overpriced, and pretty rough.

is insect repellent needed? **Some years the mosquitos are bad, some years it is too windy.

Finally, is beer allowed? **Official answer is no, unofficial answer is they don't inspect what is in your red cup...

Here's some past FAQs Jimmy posted a few years back:

Does the tournament site have an address I can put into my GPS
                        Yes, 1 Aviation Rd Brooklyn, NY 11234
                        Link to Google Map

How can I get to the event with a camper or trailer?
                        LIE to Woodhaven Blvd. South take it over the Cross Bay Bridge (pay toll) then take Beach Channel Drive West/bear left and go over Marine Park Bridge (pay toll)..Park entrance is right after bridge on right.

Are generators allowed in the camping area?
                        Yes, but they must be turned OFF from 10pm until 5am.

Will there be any electrical to recharge things like cameras and fishfinder batteries?
                        No, it is a good idea to have a car charger or inverter for anything you might need to charge.

Do I need a New York State Fishing License?
                        You need to register at http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/54950.html for the Recreational Marine Fishing Registry.

Do I need any special permits to take part in the event?
                        Paid participants will be issued a 4 day permit at sign-in for camping and launch privileges. It will need to be displayed in your car window at all times.

Do I have to wear a Life Jacket while on the water?
                        Yes! Tournament rules require a Class III Life Jacket worn at all times while on the water, you also need a whistle or other sounding device.

Do I need to have 360deg/All Around Light?
                        Yes! Tournament rules require participants to display a 360 degree Light, visible for 2 miles between one ½ hour before sunset and one ½ hour after sunrise and other periods of reduced visibility. (Fog, rain, haze, etc.) .

Are non fishing participants allowed at the event?
                        Yes. There is a non fishing early bird registration fee of $75 dollars.

How early can I get to the park?
                        Participants will be allowed to entry the park at 6am Thursday for the event.
                        No one is permitted to setup campsites on the Tarmac prior to 6am Thursday.

What is the camping site like?
                        Some people camp in the small wooded area next to the parking lot but space is limited and many choose to set up a tent on the pavement next to their vehicle, an inflatable mattress might be a good thing to bring. Also, some heavy items to hold the tent is a good idea. (IE. Water buckets, Sand Bags, Dumbbells)

Is my gear going to be safe?
                        We have not had any incidents in the past but common sense should be used when leaving your stuff unattended.

Can I bring my camper?
                        Campers and pop-up trailers are allowed. When traveling on NY roads avoid all parkways but trailers are allowed on expressways.

Are there any hotels nearby?
                        Yes, The closest are:
                        Comfort Inn located at 3218 Emmons Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11235 - 718-368-3334
                        Best Western located at 3003 Emmons Ave., Brooklyn, NY 11235 - 718-769-5000

When does the event officially start?
                        The actual tournament starts on Friday 12noon (after 11am captains meeting - recommended) to 6pm, Saturday 5am to 7pm, Sunday 5am to 12noon.

Do I have to attend the Captain’s Meetings?
                        We strongly recommend you attend the meetings but it's not mandatory.

Must I fish all 3 days?
                        No. You can fish any one or all three days.

Is there shopping near the campground?
                        Yes, just turn right outside the park and go down Flatbush Ave and you find many stores and restaurants. There is a Radio Shack for electronics and many places to get ice.

Are there any tackle shops nearby?
                        Yes,
                        Cross Bay Tackle 16-426 Cross Bay Blvd, Howard Beach, NY 11414-3742
                        www.crossbaybaitandtackle.com
                        Bernie’s Bait & Tackle 3035 Emmons Avenue, Brooklyn, NY
                        www.berniesfishing.com

I am not familiar with the Jamaica Bay and don’t really know where to fish, can someone give me some help as to where to go?
                        Sure, just speak to one of the tournament staff and they can show you on a chart, but most of the time you will be able to see where many of the Anglers are going. At both Captains meetings on Friday there will be a presentation on fishing JBay. Specific areas, proven techniques, wind, tides and safety will be covered as well as an opportunity to ask questions. We recommend that you fish with a buddy. If you do not have one, see George or Jerry and they will help to set you up with one.

Are there bathrooms?
                        Yes, we will have Porta-Johns at the event.

Are there showers at the campground?
                        We wish! Bring jugs of water for drinking. We suggest also bringing hand sanitizer and wipes to stay fresh.

Is there a Fresh water supply?
                        Yes, There will be series of garden hoses available near the main tent. This water is good for washing gear. This water is from a fire hydrant, this is not Potable water.

Do I have to be present for the raffle drawing to win prizes?
                        Yes, you will have to be present or pass your ticket to a friend to claim your prize.

Can I keep any fish that I catch?
                        You can keep any legal fish but any fish kept during the competition cannot be entered toward prizes.

If I have an emergency on the water what should I do?
                        Call the USCG on VHF #16

Call 911

Call Gateway Park Police 718-338-3988

For Non- Emergency please use VHF #6 or you can call this number (631) 484-0806
                        The Event Staff will be monitoring VHF#6

Comment

I did a little scouting last year and did find a neighborhood grocery store very close to where most people get ice on Flatbush blvd. it has everything you would need, including less expensive ice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                          Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                          Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Yeah we usually venture out once or twice to the grocery store as well. There aren't any big huge chains, but the local ones have what we need. Dogs, buns, and condiments topping the list. LOL

Also if anyone gets tired of roughing it there's a pizza spot that is heaven for your mouth that I am sure we will be making another run to this year. Oh and the zeppolis. My my my! LOL

Joe the showers have specific hours. If my mind serves me right it's mostly during daylight hours then they're locked up and your relegated to the trees or porta potties.

Comment

One more thing to note, anyone who plans on fishing something other than tube and worm or live lining bunker needs to stock up before you get to J-bay. The local bait shops don't have much for soft plastics or plugs and you can blow through a ton of baits if the blues are thick.

Comment

Bring zmans!

Comment

Working...
                                X