No announcement yet.

May 14 Meet and Greet official sign up thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you get to the CHSP lot the easiest trail to the beach (IMO) is in the left corner of the lot. Some people follow a trail around the right side through the buildings as well. On the left side you'll have to drag through some scrub brush with pretty soft sand, over some toe busting rocks/concrete blocks partially buried by the sand and then there will be another stretch of soft sand once you hit the beach itself. This isn't bad at high or mid tide but at low tide you will have to drag your kayak a good extra hundred yards. I don't know what the tide situation will be Saturday morning.

When I said "beach wheels" I was generally referring to anything with a balloon-type tire like the wheeleez carts that are popular for the hobies. There are other brands that I'm sure will also work fine but anything with a skinny, plastic little tire will struggle through the deep sand. I have helped a lot of people carry their yaks at this spot and generally everyone is willing to lend a hand. Its really not bad unless you are used to launching from boat ramps all the time where you can just roll up, drop your yak in the water and be off.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Damn it thought I had my mind made up.

You guys got me leaning back to a beach launch. The mention "watch the boat traffic" at the inlet is really tipping me to doing a beach launch however irritating and hard. Missing out on the blues is also a big one in my deliberations with myself.

The boat traffic thing has been on my mind and if it is a half way nice day, I imagine many boaters busting at the seams to on the water. Looking at the geography of the place, I imagine the Inlet going to be a busy place.
      Last edited by DonV; 05-11-2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Worth it to bring any topwater stuff for the Blues? Please tell me no as I'm already to excited and am at about twenty pounds of tackle/lures.

One other question. Is the fairly heavy rain the day before going to bad for the fishing? Mud up the water etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
          Damn it thought I had my mind made up.

You guys got me leaning back to a beach launch. The mention "watch the boat traffic" at the inlet is really tipping me to doing a beach launch however irritating and hard. Missing out on the blues is also a big one in my deliberations with myself.

The boat traffic thing has been on my mind and if it is a half way nice day, I imagine many boaters busting at the seams to on the water. Looking at the geography of the place, I imagine the Inlet going to be a busy place.
          The inlet itself has boats on plane. If you stick to the Lewis canal or the river adjacent to the ramp you will be in is a no wake zone.

The only real area you need to be concerned with is the actual in inlet itself.

The red line is the no wake zone. There is a lot of boat traffic but it is all slow.
          1980 Something Old Town Canoe
          2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
          2015 Coosa HD
          2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
          2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Comment

Originally posted by baitball View Post
            Ok, here's another question.
            Since we will be launching from different points, what channel are we monitoring on our VHFs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I will be monitoring 68 and 72

Comment

Got it, Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              -manny

Hobie Outback
              Wilderness Systems 130T
              Hobie Outfitter

Comment

Originally posted by willf650 View Post
                The inlet itself has boats on plane. If you stick to the Lewis canal or the river adjacent to the ramp you will be in is a no wake zone.

The only real area you need to be concerned with is the actual in inlet itself.

The red line is the no wake zone. There is a lot of boat traffic but it is all slow.
                Thanks for the info but I think I got my mind set on the park now. Still not quite sure and may still end up at the inlet and definitely appreciate the intel. Really appreciate you and everyone taking the time to answer my questions and get me up to speed on the local conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Romo View Post
                  I would NOT recommend trying to make the paddle from the ramp at RI all the way to CHSP. If you launch at RI I would say jig gulp in the canal or go through the inlet and fish tight to lewes beach for blue/flounder action. Beware of boat traffic and the sandbar in the inlet.

The CHSP launch definitely can suck but only if you 1.) don't have beach wheels, 2.) in the absence of beach wheels don't have a friend to help you carry your yak to the water or 3.) have a blowout low tide at launch time with some combination of 1 and 2. I'm sure it was mentioned before but there's also a $10 pass required to park in CHSP for the day. If you launch at CHSP you can troll for blues, jig for flounder or fish the inner or outer wall for tog (C&R only at this point I think).

Both CHSP and RI are great places to fish if conditions are right. I will be down that way Thurs/Fri fishing in the DE Bay but if the weather holds for Saturday I will probably end up fishing the canal for flounder so maybe I'll see some of you out there.
                  I too would not recommend paddling from RI to CHSP and back. If you don't time the tide correctly, or if the wind is from any direction but the west, it could be a tough haul.

Viking Profish Reload
                  Hobie Outback
                  Last edited by MD Dore; 05-11-2016, 11:17 PM. Reason: Correct typo
                  Golden Papaya Outback

Comment

One thing that I thought about, since Delaware Paddle Sports is providing the lunch, you should bring a camping chair so you can have somewhere to sit since this will not be a restaurant setting like other M&G. They have a nice area behind the store with a fire pit. When they had an event last December, the fire pit was lit, and everyone sat around in the backyard around the fire pit. If the evening gets cool, you may want to have a jacket handy or a rain jacket incase we have any afternoon rain. Also, if you need any kayaking accessories, then this would be the time make a purchase.
                    Last edited by moc; 05-12-2016, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Final planning time!! Is the weather holding up ok? Looks like it's going to get pretty windy around noon.
                      Hobie Revo 13 (w/ graffiti removed)
                      Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

I just checked weather.com and they say 2% precipitation and winds building out of the south till lunch. That's pretty good in my book. I'm trying to get there early and get some fishing in on Friday till the afternoon as well.
                        PigPen - Mt Airy
                        Native Mariner 12.5

Comment

Originally posted by PigPen View Post
                          I just checked weather.com and they say 2% precipitation and winds building out of the south till lunch. That's pretty good in my book. I'm trying to get there early and get some fishing in on Friday till the afternoon as well.
                          Same thing I'm seeing, very calm early on and progressing slowly. Sounds good to me also and can't wait to get there.

Thanks again to everyone for all the helpful details and tips.

Comment

May 14 Meet and Greet official sign up thread

Include me for fishing and lunch as well. I will be launching from CHSP.

Might I make a suggestion that would probably be helpful for all the meet and greets that would help the organizer. On a jeep forum I'm on when they organize rides the simply start a list like this:

The people going on the trail rides simply quote the post and add their names to the list and continue the numbering as needed. This way the organizers always have an easy way to keep track of who's going and head count instead of wading through a few pages of posts and conversation. The last post with the list has the most up to date info. If some one bails out they simply quote the post again and strike their name. If there is more than one group going out or additional info such as camping days they simply add a suffix to their name saying the group and other info. In this case the suffix could be fishing/lunch or launch location.

Only a suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by willf650; 05-12-2016, 09:07 PM.
                            2015 Coosa HD

Comment

How early can we get to the park?
                              Their website lists the park hours as
                              Cape Henlopen State Park is open from 8 a.m. to sunset.
                              I'd like to get an early start if possible especially with the kayak haul.

Comment

You can get there as early as you want. The road to the fishing pier is before the gate that is locked until 8am. 24 hour access to the pier and the launching area adjacent to it. I've been there at sun up several times and have never heard anything for it.
                                2015 Coosa HD

Comment

Working...
                                X