The sun got even

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sun got even

Like most kayak fishermen, I love being outdoors on a sunny day. For years I did little to protect myself from UV radiation other than wearing sunglasses and a hat. Those years of poor decisions are coming back to get me in my older years. Yesterday I had a basal cell carcinoma removed from my shoulder. The incision required stitches. I cannot do physical activities like casting, paddling, or other kayak fishing activities until the stitches are removed in 10 days. Once this one heals, the dermatologist plans to remove a second patch from my back, with a similar healing period. Between those two events, I will be off the water for 3-4 weeks.

Last summer I had another basal cell carcinoma on my cheek next to my nose. That required a more rigorous Moh's surgery to remove the spot and patch me up. With three identified spots in the past year, I suspect I can look forward to more skin cancer fun in the future. Fortunately the basal cell carcinomas are not highly dangerous, but I am not keen on having more chunks of my body removed.

I bring this up as advice from an older guy to the younger members of this forum. The sun does damage your skin -- the damage accumulates over time. Do yourself a favor and cover up as much of your skin as possible. Use sunscreen on the skin that is not covered. For the past few years I have looked more dorky than usual with my face cover and hat with a neck flap. I wear long pants, sun gloves, and long-sleeved shirts on virtually all of my fishing trips, even on hot days. I feel like I am doing a pretty good job on sun protection now, but I am reaping the rewards of poor sun protection for decades.

IMAG0581.jpg

For the past two years I have been using Bull Frog Water Armor Sport Quik Gel Sunscreen SPF 50 on my face. This clear alcohol-based gel dries quickly and does not leave a greasy residue like most of the white lotions.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

+1 as an elder, devout 50+years of surfing daily, sunlover, I have been paying the same dues for the sins of my youth. It is NOT a pleasant experience. The latest removals were large and in areas they couldn't use sutures and had to heal from an open wound so protect yourselves.

Comment

+1
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Sorry to hear about that John.
        Even though I'm of Arab descent and am supposed to "tolerate" the sun more, I take it very seriously. I cover up everything I can to the extent I look like a ninja! LOL
        The Sun is no joke and the older we get the more serious it becomes.
        Thanks for reminding everyone of this important information.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I hope everything goes well with you John. Like Mustafa, I try to cover up as much as I can, even on hot days. Gone are the days of wearing shorts and short sleeve shirts on the water unless I use and continue to apply sunblock. Thanks for the info on the Bull Frog Sunscreen product. I have been looking for something like that.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the cancers, hopefully they have been caught early. And much respect to you for raising awareness and the admonition for all of us.

Comment

John,
              Very sorry to hear this.
              Mother Nature is indeed a bitch.
              Hope you heal up soon and get back on the water ASAP, maybe just on cloudy days?

Comment

John,

Your advice is well taken and I wish you a speedy recovery.

But I must say that it is wonderful to see the sun peeking through the clouds this morning after a lengthy absence!
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                  Sorry to hear about that John.
                  Even though I'm of Arab descent and am supposed to "tolerate" the sun more, I take it very seriously. I cover up everything I can to the extent I look like a ninja! LOL
                  The Sun is no joke and the older we get the more serious it becomes.
                  Thanks for reminding everyone of this important information.

You mean, you're NOT a ninja?.. [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
                    You mean, you're NOT a ninja?.. [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                    LOL!! Nice [emoji4]

-Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

John,
                      I too am an older guy of 60 am am paying for my lack of skin care over my lifetime. I too had my first basel cell carcinoma removed from my shoulder about 6 years ago which required stitches. Last summer I had my first Moh's surgery on my cheek which removed a chunk about 1 inch and required stitches too. I wanted to point out that genetically this runs in families. My father has had large parts of his scalp and face removed using Moh's. At least one brother and sister who are both younger than me have had basel cell surgery. This stuff is really serious and I lather on the sunscreen at least SPF 30-50 and wear a wide brimed hat and reapply the sunscreen. I also try to avoid the mid day sun if possible. When I was younger and working on the farm I never heard of sunscreen. Live and learn.

Comment

Wow powerful thread. And very good advice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        Hidden Oak 2014 NATIVE SLAYER PROPEL 13
                        Tarpon 120
                        Ascend D10T

Personal bests
                        25 &1/4" Pickerel

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
                        http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXjKlcf7rw_SwanvTarJVCg
                        Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beyon...46820392155412

Comment

Working...
                        X