Lure Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lure Paint

I have quite a few spiner baits, jigs, and crank baits that could use some touching up. Im also thinking about doing a little bit of customization to some of my cranks. Does anyone here paint there own? If so what kind of paint do you use? Im asuming not just regular paints due to the strong scent but i could be very wrong lol.

I've used nail polish in the past. Get a shade that matches your eyes and you just might get a compliment mixed in with the stares when you're at the register.
    I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
    Garmin Echomap 93sv
    RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Most custom work you see is airbrushed and then a simple 2-ton epoxy top coat.

Comment

I use Pro-Tec powder paint on my jigs.

I warm them with a heat gun and dip them quickly in the powder paint.

It's recommended to bake them afterward in an oven to harden the paint. Sometimes I do and sometimes I clear coat them with Sally Hanson Hard as Nails nail polish, even though I feel a little self conscious shopping in the cosmetics section of the drug store!

I paint the eyes and mouth with acrylic paint from the craft store on jigs like on these:

A.jpg

On other jigs I use stick-on eyes like this one:

A.jpg

Now here's an admission you may not expect from someone who likes to paint jigs. I don't believe the fish care. They work just as well after few dings on rip rap or if the eyes wear off as when they're new. The paint pleases the angler, not the fish.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          I use Pro-Tec powder paint on my jigs.

I warm them with a heat gun and dip them quickly in the powder paint.

It's recommended to bake them afterward in an oven to harden the paint. Sometimes I do and sometimes I clear coat them with Sally Hanson Hard as Nails nail polish, even though I feel a little self conscious shopping in the cosmetics section of the drug store!

I paint the eyes and mouth with acrylic paint from the craft store on jigs like on these:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18932[/ATTACH]

On other jigs I use stick-on eyes like this one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18933[/ATTACH]

Now here's an admission you may not expect from someone who likes to paint jigs. I don't believe the fish care. They work just as well after few dings on rip rap or if the eyes wear off as when they're new. The paint pleases the angler, not the fish.
          That's quite an admission! Do you think shades, such as lighter or darker colors, affects fishing at all?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
          I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
          Garmin Echomap 93sv
          RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Huntrava View Post
            That's quite an admission! Do you think shades, such as lighter or darker colors, affects fishing at all?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
            I think the color of the bucktail or plastic trailer is more important than the color of the jig head. The head is only a small portion of the total length of the lure and likely is not the key attractant to a fish.

More than color, I think the fish respond to the profile and length of the lure, although I do find that some days they prefer a given color. But if I had to choose, I would try to mimic the length and profile of baitfish being consumed. Nothing that swims is chartreuse to my knowledge, yet that color often works, especially when the jig and trailer profiles what the fish are eating.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
            Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
            Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Looking forward to the faces I'll get when picking up some nail polish this weekend haha. I've always wanted to get into making my own lures so maybe I'll save up for an air brush set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

http://www.tackleunderground.com/community/

is a good resource for diy lure making. Then theres always youtube. If its not on youtube at this point, it hasn't been invented

If you do get into airbrushing though(and I'm referring to cranks when airbrushing), Hobbylobby has a 40% off any item coupon you can get every week, per device/ip address?. Decent airbrushes and paints...where most guys on that forum point you when starting out anyway
                Last edited by sb220; 05-13-2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X