Old Timer, New Canoe Fisherman Seeking To Join Local Small Fishing Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Timer, New Canoe Fisherman Seeking To Join Local Small Fishing Group

I am a long time salt and tidewater fisherman, formerly a power boat angler, but no longer into the power boat scene. Last 10 years, I have been fishing from the surf, bridges and from shore.

Now at age 69, I had it on my bucket list to try canoe and kayak fishing. I took some on-water canoe handling classes and spend time paddling quiet waters in rental canoes. I also took kayak lessons and rented kayaks , both sit inside and sit on top designs. But due to having Total Knee Replacement Surgeries on both knees 1 ½ years ago, the canoe is more comfortable and offers more space for me to comfortably position my knees and legs to change positions when needed. Kneeling is also a problem post Knee Replacement Surgeries.

The canoe was easier to enter and exit, and provided a dryer ride. But they are tippy and you need to stay focused, balanced and well ballast. The canoe is heavier and harder to transport single handed than the kayak would have been. I did purchase a fold-up wheeled canoe portage cart to move the canoe from my truck to the launch site.

Recently I purchased a Mad River Adventurer 14’ Tandem Canoe, 37" Beam, 75 pounds, three seater, asymmetrical polyethylene hull, shallow arch, slightly rockered. I purchased this canoe after reading 40-50 owner reviews and seeing it in person. The built in adjustable fold down back rest seats are very comfortable and the 37" width provides a lot of leg room. Its not the greatest of canoes but it was in my price range and appears well constructed. The only concern is the polyethelyne hull. I would have preferred Royalex, Kevlar or Aluminum but I could not afford them. I checked out the used canoe market but the good ones were gone before I could buy them. Plus the prices of used canoes were not much less than new. There are some cheap beatup top brand canoes but I would spend more in repairs then their actual worth, just to get them in the water.

Neither me or my canoe would be capable of fishing strong currents, rapids, wide open expanses of salt water, or ocean water. I would probable be best suited for flatwater fishing in quiet rivers, bay estuaries and tidal creeks. I enjoy fishing for pan fish, perch, bass, strippers, flounder, sea trout, and catfish. I use light spinning tackle but I also enjoy flyrodding.

I would like to join a group of canoe or kayak fisherman in my area but I don’t know anyone or any group that does this. I am physically capable of transporting and launching my own canoe single handed. But I am still inexperienced in paddling and maneuvering skills and would not be able to keep up with the faster kayakers. I don’t want to be a burden to any one or group, nor would I expect any special treatment. I think I can still hold my own, but I like the safety factor and companionship of being with others fisherman when fishing on the water, helping other fisherman whenever needed, or just getting together to talk about fishing over breakfast, lunch or dinner.

I know from past experience that fishermen are reluctant to take on new (unknown) members in their circles because they don't want an A/H upsetting the friendship and fellowship of the group. Plus many guys like to blab & brag to their neighbors and bar buddies about the fishing hot spots of others. That's exactly why I have been kind of a loner most of my life but now that I am older a "few good men" fishing buddies makes a lot of sense and greatly improves the safety factor. I am a Proud American Patriot, honest, a straight shooter, my word is my bond and I know when to keep my mouth shut. I enjoy being in the company of most fisherman and hunters.

If anyone knows of a group of canoe/Kayak fisherman who would welcome an old timer, young hearted, inexperienced canoeist who loves fishing please let me know. I live in the upper Chesapeake Bay Western Shore not far from Dundee Creek & Gunpowder River, Hammerman Area of Baltimore County.

Joe P

welcome, you are at the right place and will fit right in we thrive on upsetting the freindship and fellowship dont hold back

Comment

This is a diverse group of fisherman. You will fit right in. Where do you like to surf fish? I like to visit the NJ beach once or twice each year.

Comment

Welcome aboard. You have found a diverse group of fisherman and poeple that care about the sport of fishing from a new type of platform. First of all there are NO Dues and alot of fun times to be had!! In the past year I've found some good friends and caring poeple, as well as some greatly knowledgeable fisherman. Hope to see you on the water soon.
        Tom, aka medicyaker
        Tom Brown
        Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
        2012 Hobie PA 14'
        Ocean Kayak Tident 13
        2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Old/New Canoe Fisherman

Thank you all for the kind welcome. I am really looking forward to this new adventure. I am also looking forward to meeting you guys and learning the art of fishing from canoes & kayaks.

I have been surf fishing at Assateague Island southern end below the bull pen. I have a OSV permit for my 4x4 pickup. Its great fun and you never know what you are going to catch. I fished two surf rods one baited with cut mullet and the other baited with cut butterfish. Last hour of incoming tide and first hour of outgoing tide were best.

I had a nice flat water deep hole 40-50 yards from shore. with breakers on either side crossing over shallow bars. Flounder, Kingfish and weakfish were the main residence with an occasional striper and surges of bluefish in the 2, 4 & 6 pound range.

Oh ya, the black flies and mosquitoes were bad when the wind was from the west. Often had to fish with a headnet, cotton gloves, long sleeve shirt and long pants sprayed with bug juice. Finally got a Therma-Cell Bug Repeller and solved that problem.

Had to put clip on bells on rod tips to keep from falling asleep. But it is great fun.

I tried fishing from the Henlopen Pier. Thought I was visiting a lot of third world countries. I think I was the only person on pier that could speak english. Everything that came over the rail went into a cooler, fish, crab, skate, sea robbins, little sharks and rays. Game warden could have written a couple hundred citations if he know how to speak spanish, oriental, and some dialects foreign to my ears. I watched for 15 minutes and left to fish the beach further south of the pier.

I also surf fished Fenwick Island OSV beaches but they are becoming mobbed with tourist who throw a line in the water and turn their kids loose with anything that floats or slides on the water. Just when you get set up in a quiet spot, here comes the fun crowd who love to park near you and ask every five minutes if you are catching anything. Stopped going there. Moved down to Indian Head River and fished the shore line at Bubble Gum Beach. Caught some nice tog on green crab and flounder on incoming tide. Strippers were hot at night on the Jetty but I would not even think about walking out on those rocks with my knees.

When I become skilled enough to handle my canoe, I want to fish the upper part of Assawomen Bay near the Fenwick Ditch. Lots of nice shallow cuts into the shoreline marsh that fill with water on high tide and flounder slip in after the minnows and baby crabs. Power boats can’t get close enough to reach these shallow area drop offs. The drive across the Bay Bridge down RT 50 gets worst every year. I only go & come home when I can be on the road by 3am. But the long drive is getting to be an ordeal, sometimes I have to pull off the road and take a short nap.

I am going to try to stay on this side of the Bridge and find the quiet places to fish. But I will still venture to the Ocean when the crowds go home.

Joe P

Joe P

Comment

Hi Joe,

Glad you found the place. Another couple places you might like to check out are the Magothy and the Severn near Annapolis. There's plenty of white perch with the odd pickerel thrown in.

Welcome aboard,

Bill
            Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
            Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Joe

Welcome to the site. Your first post contained a wealth of information! I have numerous friends with limited mobility and canoes seem to provide a workable platform.

I am pretty far from you but will watch for your posts.

Comment

Don't Let Disabilities Stop You From Kayak or Canoe Fishing

For those with limited disabilities a word of encouragement. Don't let the Doctors dictate what you can & can't do. Healing your body depends a lot on you and your will to heal. Doctors perscribe pills, physical therapy and surgery. But in many cases its up to you the patient that determines the outcome.

I am a very blessed man, in 2007 my aorta in my chest near my heart actually split open while I was at home. The only pain I felt was in my jaw. No chest pain or other heart related pains. I felt a little clammy so my wife called the ambo. Para-Medics checked vitals & did a cardiogram & could not find symptoms other than my appearence and complaint of jaw pain. They wanted to take me to hospital to be checked but would not take me to the hospital of my preference because it was out of my district.

My wife drove me to hospital of my choice. Good Thing. This hospital is well know for its heart treatment & cardiac surgery. Plus most (all) of my other Doctors are in the medical center at this hospital. I carry a printed copy of my complete Medical History, Medications, attending Doctors, Blood Type, Surgeries, allergies and ongoing medical conditions, folded in a pocket size shape with me whereever I go.

Until now I had no history of any heart problems, I exercised and worked out 3 days a week walking 3 miles with 5lb hand weights. When I arrived at the hospital all the bells & whistles went off. Luckily a well know Interventional Cardiologist was their on another case. The emergency room doctor said he was sure my condition was heart related but had to call for the Cardiologist to locate the problem.

The same Cardiologist Dr Mede that is in the news today examined me and said I need a Cath Procedure to confirm his diagnosis and I would need emergency heart surgery if he was right. Dr. Mede saved my life by finding & diagnosing the problem and take quick action to correct it. Had he not been their, I would not be here.

I had the cath procedure and could hear the Doctor say Code Blue Dissected Aorta, patient is critical, call in the Thorasic Surgeon Dr. Sell and his excellent team of Cardiac Surgical Nurses and Anastesiasts.

I didn't know it at the time, they told my wife about the dissected aorta leaking blood into my chest and I need emergency open heart surgery. They also told my wife that I had a 20% chance of surviving this surgery, as this was as serious a cardiac event as it gets.

After 9 hours on the operating table I was taken off life support and wheeled to IC. They sawed open my rib cage, put me on life support, stopped my heart and repaired the split aorta using a gortex tube. While they had me opened up they also did a triple bypass on 3 partially clogged arteries and check out everything else inside me. The Surgeon and Surgical Nurses all told me afterwards that they were amazed on how well I withstood all that trauma and if I would not have been in the shape I was in, I probably wouldn't be hear.

I made a quick recovery through in & out patient cardiac rehab and a lot of hard work & exercise on my own. The driving force & motivation to fully recover was I wanted more time with my wife and daughter, and I wanted to be able to fish and hunt again. Here is a list of other surgeries that I have had:

2010 Total Left Knee Replacement
                2009 Total Right Knee Replacement
                2008 R/Eye Vitrectomy, Lensectomy & Cataract,
                2005 TURP Prostrate Surgery
                2003, L/Eye Cataract Surgery
                2003 Corrective Cataract Implant Revision Surgery
                2002 Arthroscopic L/Knee Surgery
                2000 Laproscopic Upper Colon Sectioning Surgery
                1986, L5 Lumbar Disc Surgery

I only listed these surgeries in hopes that others who have or will experience medical problems won't give up that which they love and enjoy most about life, family, friends, fishing, hunting and everything else. I have been very blessed by God. But I believe that God gives you the strength and will to help yourself but its up to YOU to do the heavy lifting.

I have had to make some adjustments and adaptations to my methods and gear that I need to continue to fish and hunt. Its not easy and require a lot of forethought, planning and trial and error on how you can overcome a physical limitation to keep doing what you love and enjoy doing.

I worked out a set of written procedures on how to move, load, unload, transport, enter, exit, paddle & fish from my canoe. I still need to refine these methods but that will take a lot more in-water practice. My biggest concern is entering and exiting the canoe at the launch site. I don't know for sure if I am supposed to stand on the dry shore or stand in the water at the shore line when entering the canoe. I know I am supposed to keep my butt low but bending way down with knee replacements don't happen. Kneeling is another no-no. Lifting, loading & Unloading the canoe on & off the truck single-handed is tricky. The canoe weighs 75lbs presents some unique challenges during loading & unloading. This will probably be one of those trial and error.

These are all problems that I will have to solve through trial and error using a lot of common sense and home spun ingenuity.

I also need to find out what kind of shoes I can and should wear. I can't use the water proof sandals because they don't provide enough support for my feet which I need for balance to counter my knee replacements. I also need to find a good sun block that is not oily or gets into your mouth when you sweat.

This is why I am seeking the company of more experienced canoe & kayak fisherman so I can learn from them the art of kayak/canoe fishing and enjoy their company and the safety in numbers, as opposed to go it on my own.

Anyone with limited disabilites or medical problems who wants to continue to enjoy fishing and hunting but needs someone whoes been their to assist them, please contact me. When I become proficient at the art of canoe fishing I would like to help other do the same.

I was thinking about making this a New Topic but I also wanted to include this in my original post. If the Forum Administrator wants to make this a
                NEW TOPIC, thats good. Maybe it will help more people.

Joe P

Comment

Welcome, your are in the right place. I have two kayaks, one peddle power and one paddle power. I also have a two person canoe with a trolling motor that I crab and occasionally fish with when I have a friend who does not have his own boat and wants to fish. So I have done both fishing from a kayak and canoe. I believe we have a few members in this group with canoes also, even though most of us fish out of a kayak, as long as it is not a gas powered platform, then welcome aboard.

Comment

welcome. There are lots of good guys here. You'll enjoy it. I am a canoe bound angler too but I catch my share if fish. Though Bill and Ictalurus will testify that I certainly spend a lot more time paddling than they do! The canoe you have should be faster than mine.
                    If you ever decide to come south to the St. Mary's/Calvert Co. area to try a hand, let me know.
                    here's a pic of my canoe and a nice rock I caught in it at St. Jerome's Creek last Aug.
                    Attached Files
                    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Working...
                    X