Kayak fishing based out of an apartment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak fishing based out of an apartment

I'm new to this site and looking to get into fishing out of a kayak. I've been fishing for about two years now, and I'm looking to do more than fish from the shore. In the near future I'm looking to get into the water in the lakes and rivers of the Montgomery/Frederick area, but some day once I develop a little more comfort in a kayak, I'd like to move on to the Bay and whatnot. The issue I'm having is that I currently live in a third floor walk up apartment. Anyone on here have dealt with storing (and lugging) a kayak in that kind of environment? Any advise or thoughts on which kayaks would be easy to drag up the stairs after a day fishing? I've done some measurements and I think I'd want to stay no more than 12' for storage purposes. I don't think I'd have trouble transporting a 12' SOT with my vehicle situation, but lugging a big guy up three flights of stairs seems like a hassle. Thanks for any thoughts and paddle safe.
    Ocean Trident Ultra 4.3
    Hobie Revolution 13 Red Hibiscus

It might be worth checking out one the Hobie Mirage I12S, that is the inflatable version of a Hobie Kayak with the Mirage Pedal Drive, but packs down into a duffle bag for easy transport and storage.
    Mike

2015 Hidden Oak Slayer Propel 10

Comment

Could you leave it locked down on your vehicle?

Comment

Are you able to rig a pulley to lift it up to your balcony?
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I would look at a tarpon 120 ultralight. It's a great river kayak and would imagine it could handle anything the bay has to offer. That's got to be one of the better options in your situation. Set up a wall rack of some type and you'd be set.

You're other option could be renting storage space. Not sure what they run these days but you could store all your fishing stuff there and hit it on the way to the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

I started fishing from a kayak last year and wish I would have done it sooner. Being on the water and close to the action is a blast. You won't regret it thats for sure. I live in an apartment and hang a 12' wooden kayak on the wall. It only weighs 40# though and I am on the ground floor. Its a bit of a job even with a light kayak and relatively easy access. Do you know a friend that has a house were you could stash it under their deck? The inflatable isn't a bad idea. They aren't cheap but it will get you out there this year and some of them now are petty substantial. When you have room sell it and upgrade. For sure consider weight. The lighter the better. Good luck in your research.
            WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

Storage unit for sure.

Comment

As someone who had their yak in their apartment a couple of times. Just nix that idea. It's a PITA navigating steps and doors and if you're planning on storing it inside of your apartment, you've gotta deal with the funk. Your best bet would be to ask a friend that has a house to just stash it in the backyard. I know the sound of investing in a new yak and leaving it outside doesn't sound appealing, but they have covers you can use. Also, check with your leasing office. If they're cool, they may have a maintenance area you can use.

Comment

if you have a balcony, i'd ditto the Tarpon advice, depending on your weight. The ultra light would be nice, but any of the tarpons or tarpon clones (pescador, west marine pompano 120) would be nice and lighter.
                  If you are storing inside? gonna smell man unless you pressure wash it on the way home.
                  14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                  2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

All good suggestions.. I have a currently have a 96lb 13.5 yak that resides on top of my small suv. Both it and my previous yak have been kept on top of my vehicle. The only thing I do is use a UV protectant on it periodically.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                      All good suggestions.. I have a currently have a 96lb 13.5 yak that resides on top of my small suv. Both it and my previous yak have been kept on top of my vehicle. The only thing I do is use a UV protectant on it periodically.
                      Out of curiosity, how do you keep it from being stolen. I don't want to hijack the post, but have sometimes wondered how I could do that.

-Jon
                      Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                        Out of curiosity, how do you keep it from being stolen. I don't want to hijack the post, but have sometimes wondered how I could do that.

I run a bike lock through my scupper holes and lock it onto something secure when I'm leaving mine.

As for OP, ask a friend to store it, or find a cheap storage area where you can keep it. Unless you're getting a smaller kayak it's going to be too much of a PITA storing inside. I let two of my buddies keep their kayaks at my house because they don't have the room

Zack
                        Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
                        Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
                        "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

So many of us can relate to the original poster's question. I lived quite modestly for many years in apartments, rental rooms and houses until finally getting my own place and eventually finding my way into home ownership (or should I say mortgage enslavement). My suggestion would be to find a rental property with storage for his kayak. Even if it means to store his stuff in somebody else's garage. Be creative and you'll find the best answer for you.

This is a great thread with an important OP.

Comment

Wherever you decide to store your kayak make sure it's not a pain-in-the-arse to retrieve it for a fishing trip. Dragging a kayak up/down 3 flights of stairs would be a super major PITA!!! It would be like dragging a light-weight white elephant up 3 flights by it's trunk... have you ever tried that??? The bigger PITA it is the more likely you are to forego a fishing trip just because it's too much trouble.

A storage locker sounds workable but that cost money. Maybe you could find a couple other kayakers to split the cost of a storage locker. Good luck.
                            Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Also remember the more of a pain it is to use, the less likely you are to go fishing. Instead of being excited to use your boat and enjoy being outside doing something you enjoy/love to do...you'll dread it and be less inclined to go out.

Comment

Working...
                              X