No announcement yet.

Universal Roof top racks for a HONDA???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal Roof top racks for a HONDA???

Hi,

I'm brand new to the form and have a question on racks? Just purchased used Honda Pilot that has no rails or bars. Since I only get out about 10 - 12 times/yr in the ocean or backwaters in Delaware, I did not want to drop $250 - $600 and thought about a universal rack (plus I maybe trailering in a couple years too). Has anybody used them? Do they wreck the door jam and paint? Do all have straps that go inside the truck? Can anyone recommend a "portable" rack.

Thanks from a newbie,
    Mako Mark

you talking about this type?

k2-_b7c62224-5cdd-486e-b905-5136ae3d5459.v1.jpg
    sigpic

Comment

No I actually used those parts with the rack on the old truck. I was actually thinking of this style http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...4o0&ajaxhist=0

Not sure if that will open but it has metal catches for the door jam and a cam to tightening it..

Comment

the ones i had were like that on my old truck, clipped above the door. were thule brand, and worked well for 7 years. was it scratched underneath? no idea bc i never removed them.
        sigpic

Comment

Sorry for going in the opposite direction on you, but 2 years ago I spent the entire winter researching universal roof racks for my old 2005 Tacoma. I just could not pull the trigger on any universal rack that would work. On a whim, I research OEM roof racks from Toyota on the internet. What a surprise. There were dealers all over the place offering OEM racks for under $200. Probably because of the age of my truck. Ordered the cheapest deal, pulled the rubber strips off my roof, and underneath were pre drilled and tapped mounting holes. Bolted it on and it looks like it came from the factory.
          Pelican Strike 100X

Comment

Thanks, the more I think about it....factory rails are 165 - 180 on line and then add 40 to 70 for cross racks since they are seperate. Factory my still be the way to go in the long run.

Comment

Working...
            X