Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=JohnE;130951]
    Originally posted by RiverRunner View Post
    Hey JohnE, thats a Penn 710 Spinfisher, great reel. Rod looks like a Garcia Conolon.
    [/QUOTE7]

Thanks. I looked up some pics and it does look like a Garcia Conolon. Had no idea what it was, but figured Garcia or Fenwick since I have 4 or 5 others in different sizes that look similar to that one. You're also right about the greenie model. Still a nice rig--might actually use it sometime soon. Here are most of my greenies. I had a couple bail-less models that I sold for close to a couple bills a piece a while back (sort of regret selling them, but it was hard to resist when I found out what they go for. [ATTACH=CONFIG]19109[/ATTACH]
    Awesome collection, esp having the original boxes. Recently put a bailess setup on one of the 710z's, I had to buy the Mitchell 306 version and do some slight modification to the reel. Looks like he's now making them just for the 710. http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-710-710..._OGntnC3OIIfaw

Comment

I just turned 69, and I have all of the gear my father had. Off the top of my head I know there are 2 True Temper steel rods with Pflueger Supreme reels dating back to the 1940's They predate fiber glass, back then the only other building material was bamboo. Also a couple of old tackle boxes with oversize casting lures, either wooden plugs or metal spoons. Oversized were all that that old tackle could sling. 4" Dare Devle spoons and big old Spooks and River Runts. The oldest combo I have is a Shakespeare rod and push button reel that I ordered and paid for with my parents Raliegh coupon collection.Wonder how many of you guys ever heard of Raleigh coupons. Top Value and S&H Green stamps were another of my sources., from back in the day when they had to entice you to buy gas @ 22.9 cents a gallon.

I don't use any of that old stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
        Wonder how many of you guys ever heard of Raleigh coupons. Top Value and S&H Green stamps were another of my sources., from back in the day when they had to entice you to buy gas @ 22.9 cents a gallon.
        I don't recall Raleigh but I do recall S&H and Top Value stamps.

It's amazing how many of us keep our old fishing gear and/or that of our ancestors. I think that shows that fishing for some of us is more than the mere act of catching fish.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Raleigh and Bel Air brands of cigarettes by Brown and Williamson Tobacco Company, both had coupons inside the cellophane wrapper on each pack of cigarettes- like Green stamps they could be redeemed for merchandise...Shakespeare and Pflueger were the names of most of my Dad's tackle- all steel rods- I remember fiberglass was brand new in the late 50's early sixties...Dad had split bamboo fly rods with Martin reels he used...still have the Martin reel-and that was before monofilament was popular as fishing line- all braided nylon lines and linen lines were used- I remember the first time we saw spinning reels...we all laughed at them-who knew?
          Last edited by ronaultmtd; 06-08-2016, 05:56 PM.
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

This is my first outfit I bought as a 14 year old in PA in 1958 with money earned running a trapline. It's a Mitchell C.A.P. 304 and Shakespeare rod. I still have my WW2 G.I. gas mask bag which served as a fishing tackle bag, my lure box and a good amount of my original lures.

CAPShakespeareweb.jpg

Here's another oldie, a Shakespeare fly rod and a Shakespeare automatic reel. Can't remember when I bought this outfit though.

Shakespearreel1.jpg
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X