Drag Anchor for Flounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Anchor for Flounder

I fish for flounder from a kayak. I usually do 100' drifts at most, going with the tide. I am trying to slow my rate of drift to stay in productive areas longer. I have tried drift socks but they are a pain. Anchoring doesn't allow for tide drift. I was thinking of using a sash weights tied to an anchor cord to drag the bottom, slowing the drift. Any thoughts other than buy a Hobie. Mark

Drag Anchor for Flounder

Since flounder are a bottom fish, I would think dragging an anchor would be counterproductive.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

+1 on Buzz reply. Drag anchor is pretty simply 2' length of rubber coated chain tied to a anchor line. Only works on smooth bottom.
      Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
      Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

If you have plenty of anchor line for the depth of water you're fishing, a drag anchor shouldn't disturb anything. It's going to be dragging bottom in areas you have already covered. But you said you drifts are about 100' over productive areas. That's probably too short of a drift to allow things to return back to a normal state. 100' is about 33 yards. I would just anchor above the area you were drifting and jig, letting the current move the lure/bait over the productive zone, keeping it productive.

Comment

What if you used 2 anchors, on each end of say 100-150' of line, and used the ring on your anchor trolley to run the line through (or run another short line with a ring or carabineer off that to slide along the line)? Deploy one just above where you want to start, keep the line in the kayak, and go to the other end of it, and deploy the 2nd anchor just below the finish spot. Kind of like you're moving down a track or a trotline type deal? Idk just a thought. Mark both with a big bright float and just ride the line between. Did I just come up with a cool setup? Or am I an idiot? In between? idk.

Comment

Keep things simple. You'll learn to appreciate it.

Comment

Drift sock is pretty simple and will slow you down to increase your casts and allow to stay in contact with the bottom a little easier.
              Jay

10' Green Slayer
              13’ Red Slayer

Comment

8ft of 1/4 of 3/16pm galvanized chain hooked at the END. If you still drift too fast, hook the chain down about a foot ...the more the chain is doubled over the more friction it creates. I used to do this with my canoe alot....works great

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
                14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will try 8' chain, the lead ingot, and finally window sash and determine the best application. Have drift sock but don't like to use in areas of snags. I'll be floundering in Chincoteague Friday thru Monday. Hope the wind cooperates.
                  mark

Comment

I am new to the forum and not as experienced as most of the members and hope to learn more about kayak fishing and contribute in any small way I can.
                    I am not fortunate enough to be close to salt water but I do drift in some lakes and have drifted in some rivers. What I use is a length of PVC filled with concrete, enclosed with end caps and an eye bolt in one end. I drag this with a rope. Pop

Comment

Working...
                    X