Electric Kayak Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Kayak Poll

Thanks for all you input on human vs electric power. Out of curiosity started this poll to find out how many forum users have electric. pedal and/or paddle kayaks.
    Use electric motor on my kayak
    10.64%
    Paddle only
    51.06%
    Own a pedal kayak
    19.15%
    Own both a pedal and paddle kayak, (two different kayaks)
    19.15%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by eastonkayaker; 07-19-2011, 01:04 AM. Reason: Edited for spelling

Paddle only. Although I may pick a motor up and put it on an island hopper rig on my OC Trident 15. Good Fishin

Chimo

Comment

Paddle- When I decided to go the kayak route- I wanted a KISS boat that I could load up and go on a spur of the moment to fish for an hour or two with minimal prep- I have owned power boats for offshore fishing and it takes a lot of planning and preparation for a trip with them.

Not that I have anything against electric or gas powered kayaks- just not what I wanted-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Got an EYAK then realized it can be a pain in the butt sometimes so I got a peddle. BOTH are sweet.
        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

EK here!

I'll probably start paddling more just to avoid lugging the 50lb battery when I'm not going far.
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

paddle versus electric

I truly enjoy the paddle, but a low voltage troller would be sweet for positioning while fishing.

Comment

should be another class ...... pedal/paddle and electric ....... I voted wrong should be electric and pedal mainly

Comment

Unscientific Results

If you include those who have both a pedal and paddle kayak, about 70% of us still paddle, 50% paddle only, 20% pedal, and 10% use electric.

Interesting to read some of the posts recently about the EK guys going back to pedal/paddle because of the difficulty dealing with battery/motor etc.

Comment

Can't imagine what would happen to a EK on a nasty turtle from a heavy boat wake- can you see a fifty pound battery breaking loose and sinking?

And if that didn't happen think about a complete discharge from salt water closing the circuit-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

"KAYAK" Fishing,
                    Last I check that included a Paddle only
                    Nothing wrong with an electric boat, or a gas/diesel boat, and I may be found on one,, but for me the simplicity of throwing the kayak in the bed of the truck and going for a 2 hour paddle "IS" Kayak fishing.
                    Captian of the plastic Navy
                    1 - Mad River Canoes
                    1- Tarpon 120
                    1- Redfish 10
                    1- Coosa HD
                    2- Cuda 12
                    1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
                      "KAYAK" Fishing,
                      Last I check that included a Paddle only
                      Nothing wrong with an electric boat, or a gas/diesel boat, and I may be found on one,, but for me the simplicity of throwing the kayak in the bed of the truck and going for a 2 hour paddle "IS" Kayak fishing.
                      Soooo ........ it's not Yak fishing if you don't use a paddle ...... Really?

Comment

Interesting that I prefer the hobie to the torque now in most cases. The torque is now the loaner yak. Unless im feeling lazy
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
                          Soooo ........ it's not Yak fishing if you don't use a paddle ...... Really?
                          Only to "Me"
                          Some do not consider UL "Aircraft", some Do.
                          Some people want everyone to "see it" their way, I does'nt matter to me.

Slack
                          Captian of the plastic Navy
                          1 - Mad River Canoes
                          1- Tarpon 120
                          1- Redfish 10
                          1- Coosa HD
                          2- Cuda 12
                          1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

I voted for having an electic kayak, but my first kayak is a sit in paddle kayak and my newest kayak is a hobie outback with Torqeedo motor. So I have paddle, peddle and electric...

I was not even thinking about getting an electric yak, but I found the right deal and went for it. the battery for the Torqeedo is only 6 pounds and powers me pretty much all day. Right now I am using the option of putting the motor in the spot where the mirage drive goes, but I think I want to mount it on the rudder so I can have both peddle and electric power at the same time.
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Originally posted by Slackdaddy View Post
                              Only to "Me"
                              Some do not consider UL "Aircraft", some Do.
                              Some people want everyone to "see it" their way, I does'nt matter to me.

Slack
                              Then why even post it .......... it's offensive and gives you a holier than thou image

Comment

Working...
                              X