Visit to MirrOlure headquarters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit to MirrOlure headquarters

Yesterday I finished up four days of kayak fishing in Tampa with guide Neil Taylor of Strike Three Kayak Fishing. Neil is well connected with several tackle companies. On Tuesday he took me to the headquarters of L&S Lures, the parent company for MirrOlure lures, in Largo, FL (a Tampa suburb). Neil introduced me to Eric Bachnic, the owner of MirrOlure. Eric gave me a short tour of the plant. The Largo facility makes some of the parts and does the final packaging and shipping. Most of the lure manufacturing and assembly is done in their other facility in Costa Rica.

MirrOlure is well known for their hard plastic baits that have a flashing, reflective appearance underwater. The first specs I ever caught decades ago were on MirrOlure plugs. I'm sure that many members of this forum use MirrOlure lures. As I wrote in my book, I am not a frequent user of hard plastic plugs, primarily because I dislike treble hooks or multiple hooks on the same lure. Nevertheless I recognize the high quality and catching success of MirrOlure products (my largest speckled trout from this trip [20.5"] was caught on a MirrOlure C-Eye Poppa Mullet surface popper).

Here are a few photos from the plant. Eric is showing me the machines that make the plastic bodies for the lures. The machine spits out three types of plastic parts every few seconds. One part is a cross-shaped carrier that holds the two pieces for the body. The lures are made in two halves. While these look simple, the internal structures are complicated and allow the lure to hold rattles, weights, and hooks, and to balance well.

010.jpg 20160621_125738_resized.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg

Another machine makes batches of the red eyes used on most MirrOlure lures. Pieces of the reflective tape on the shelves are placed inside the plastic bodies to give the lures their characteristic reflective patterns.

20160621_125617.jpg 20160621_125528.jpg

These components are sent to Costa Rica and assembled, painted, and finished into the final product. They are shipped in bulk back to Largo for packaging and distribution.

20160621_125926_resized.jpg

In addition to the regular line of MirrOlure plugs, the company makes offshore Iland lures, Paul Brown lures, and Tidal Surge lures. They also make a line of soft plastics. Neil uses a different brand of soft plastic lures (12 Fathom) so I have no experience with the MirrOlure soft plastics.

20160621_130253_resized.jpg

In the back of the plant they have a test tank. All of the large lures with bills are dragged through the tank to make sure they swim well. If not the bill is adjusted. This is clearly a labor-intensive step.

20160621_130501.jpg

Eric gave me several key chains that use the same plastic bodies as the lures. I show four color patterns plus a MirrOdine lure in my own tackle collection.

002.jpg

It was great to see the home of a well-known lure and to learn how things are made. More information on the product lines and the manufacturing process is available on the MirrOlure website at http://www.shopmirrolure.com/product_overview.php.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Very interesting.

They make quality lures. They're almost too pretty to get wet.

I do wish that they would offer a wide selection of plugs with single hooks. But I imagine they don't hear that request often enough to justify a production line change.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I have a small 9 compartment box of nothing but mirro-lures- used them for years and still use them- hard to beat when the specks are around...the 52 is my favorite shallow water speckled trout lure- mostly use red-white, but the blue back and moss green back works well, too...
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thanks for sharing!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
          Very interesting.

I do wish that they would offer a wide selection of plugs with single hooks. But I imagine they don't hear that request often enough to justify a production line change.
          You are right. I specifically asked Eric if they make any lures with single hooks. He said the demand is not there and they have not seen a need to do research on which hooks to use.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing John.

Keith
            Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Didn't know they made the Iland lures, those things have quite the reputation among the offshore recreational crowd.

Comment

Working...
              X