Kid Friendly Shore Fishing Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kid Friendly Shore Fishing Recommendations

Anyone want to help make my kids' weekend by recommending a fresh or saltwater shore fishing spot within an hour of DC? They are 5 and 8, so most likely it's bait fishing. I've tried several spots, but looking to stimulate an idea I might not have on my radar. June seems like a great month to take a break from the kayak and focus on getting my kids interested in fishing.
    Michael
    Washington, DC
    Hobie Outback

You should have plenty of options for freshwater close to DC. I know centennial lake in Elliott city has kid friendly fishing. There have been kid events hosted there in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike

Comment

You should have pretty good luck with worm and bobber and any of the local lakes or ponds. Dont overlook community stormwater retention ponds. The one in my neighborhood is jam packed with bluegills and some bass.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Kid Friendly Shore Fishing Recommendations

Originally posted by Shady View Post
        You should have pretty good luck with worm and bobber and any of the local lakes or ponds. Dont overlook community stormwater retention ponds. The one in my neighborhood is jam packed with bluegills and some bass.
        +1 on the retention ponds. Killed it this AM behind a Royal Farms.

Even the bullfrogs were hungry

Mike

"But by the grace of God I am what I am..." - I Cor. 15:10
        Native Watercraft Slayer Propel - Cooperhead

Comment

Originally posted by assists21 View Post
          +1 on the retention ponds. Killed it this AM behind a Royal Farms.

Even the bullfrogs were hungry

Would you mind sharing where this is? I have been looking for some retention ponds. Thanks!

Comment

Call ahead but go up to the national wildlife visitor center in Laurel. They have inside stuff the kids might like once they're done fishing too

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Patuxent/visit/NWVC.html

Comment

Originally posted by brianisoutside View Post
              Call ahead but go up to the national wildlife visitor center in Laurel. They have inside stuff the kids might like once they're done fishing too

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/Patuxent/visit/NWVC.html

If you want to fish in the lakes there, you need to get a free fishing permit from the visitor's center. I got one a few weeks ago.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Check Maryland DNR trout stocking schedule they stock a lot of local ponds that have very good shoreline fishing year round with a bunch in PG County.

Comment

Wheatley lake in Charles County- worms, on a bobber and a #6 hook- instant bluegill...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

My dad had me cut my teeth on bluegill using a nightcrawler and bobber along the shores of Lake Braddock when I was 5.

Sent from my PalmPilot using Tapatalk
                    2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                    Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

Working...
                    X