Size matters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size matters

Why is there a 12ft minimum size limit on kayaks at the reservoirs?

No reason.

Comment

This is first heard for me. I used to take my 10' Old Town to Rocky Gorge before I upgraded.
      ---------------------------------
      Mike Hossom
      Olive Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I think that it is for all boats - and is simply an old rule that has never been changed. A ten foot jon boat is small, a ten foot kayak - not so much.

Comment

I was looking up regs for kayak use and the county websites for LR, PB & Liberty all say 12ft minimum including kayaks. Hopefully its not strictly enforced. I'm going for it.

Comment

Highly doubtful you'll find anyone out there measuring kayaks.
            I need a good paddling

Motorized 2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12
            Garmin Echomap 93sv
            RIP, favorite St. Croix Rod

Comment

Sorry for changing the subject but I heard a permit to fish LR and PB are hard to get. Is that true?

Comment

Those reservoirs have an annual permit required. I've heard people camp out overnight hoping to get one of maybe 40 that become available each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Mike

Comment

There are two permits, one for Liberty and Prettyboy and one for Loch Raven. I got mine late for Liberty and Prettyboy and the lady told me that there were plenty left and they never sell out. Loch Raven is different, you have to get it from the actual location for an additional fee, I believe after you have the Liberty and Prettyboy permit. These do sell out and quickly. If you want to fish Loch Raven, you can simply rent a jon boat from there for $15 or so (if you happen to have a trolling motor and battery bring it) and you can hook up your motor and go, or use the oars that are provided with the rental.

Keep in mind if you get the permit you have to sign a form saying that you will only use the kayak in those three reservoirs for the year.

Comment

I thought if I could get a permit I might fish LR once in a while since I live close by. I fish it from shore sometimes and do pretty well on Pike and Pickerel. It would be a real long haul to where I fish in a kayak or a John boat.

Comment

Working...
                    X