Anybody catching decent blues yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody catching decent blues yet?

Just curious if anyone's caught some decent size bluefish, really anything above like 12" but preferably 16" and above? Probably going fishing either Sat or Sun, and wanted to get an idea of where to go, though I was thinking spriggs or jonas. I really want to target bluefish, since I've got both perch and rockfish in the freezer, but really, any of those 3 would be welcome catches. Oh and of course if croakers are around, I do love fishing for them as well, though I think they're still spotty in most areas.

The Tacklebox in Lex Park claims big blues have been caught at point no point lighthouse.....that is the only western shore report i've heard that is yak accessible.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Ah that's still about a 2 hour drive for me, but I also heard that someone caught them just south of the bay bridge. Are you going fishing this weekend kevin?

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
        Ah that's still about a 2 hour drive for me, but I also heard that someone caught them just south of the bay bridge. Are you going fishing this weekend kevin?
        wedding in Chicago
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

I have caught several bluefish at St Mary's County locations- they are all small "Tinker" blues that are mixed in with school stripers chasing silverside minnows...be careful what you wish for...I remember back in the late 70's, early 80's when big 15 pound bluefish were every where and no matter what you fished for all you caught were those nasty Bluefish- a 12 pound grey trout on your line...you brought in a six pound head and half a fish...I hated the glut of big blues-but they did make some pretty decent shark bait...
          "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
          2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
          "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
          Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Yeah those big blues are a good find but catching them constantly, well any fish constantly, might get old. Especially if it's wrecking tackle or biting fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
              I also heard that someone caught them just south of the bay bridge.
              I got into some blues in the Severn last week. Nothing of size, though. Only got one in the boat.
              Kevin

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Hmm well at least they're up this far. Hopefully in a month the 15"+ ones will be stacked everywhere.

Comment

There have been reports of blues from Pt Lookout to above the Bay Bridge and in Eastern bay. More and bigger ones down south, but i have heard of some 15" types above the bridge. Time to break out the Zmans.

Comment

The Zman minnowz? Already got them rigged, they were all I used to troll up about 30 rockfish on Saturday at the M&G

Comment

Working...
                    X