No announcement yet.

Big Hobie iCast Reveal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw they now have a camo Pro Angler available is that interest anyone.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Here is some more info on the MD 180 that I found on SOL:
      This week, Hobie Cat Company will be unveiling the most exciting change and significant improvement to the Hobie MirageDrive since we introduced it in 1997: REVERSE! It is with great pride that we introduce the new, Patent Pending Hobie MirageDrive 180, a forward and reverse propulsion system that will be standard equipment on all 2017 Mirage Kayaks.

Hobie revolutionized the kayak market with our existing MirageDrive and its many features that have never been surpassed. Never one to sit on our laurels, we tasked our Engineering team to develop a reversing drive a while back and wow, did they deliver. From the early prototypes of the MirageDrive 180, we were all hooked on the functionality and the fun of being able to go backwards. Fishing, docking, wanting a second look at something … the best pedal propulsion system on the market just got even better.

The MirageDrive 180 allows shifting from forward to reverse instantly and effortlessly, just as you would expect from Hobie. With the ease of using just one finger, the easy-reach shifters attached to the MD-180 (as we affectionately refer to it) rotate the fins, and you are immediately in reverse; one more quick pull, and you are immediately going forward again. You can shift direction whether you are at a stop or while in motion! Doesn’t get any easier. Hobie Technology — Hobie Intuitive.

Let’s address some questions you may have:
      ◾Still beachable? Heck yes, exactly as before.
      ◾Shallow water? No problem —- you can still flutter-stroke right through the shallows — now in forward or reverse as you please!
      ◾Retrofittable to all previous Hobie Mirage® products sold? Oh, yeah! Modifications may be required on some earlier model kayaks for the proper fit.
      ◾Does it fit in all Mirage Kayak models, including the inflatables? But of course!
      ◾Hobie’s Glide Technology? Yep, the MD-180 still provides the smoothest, easiest ride on the water —- literally gliding with continuous motion while in between pedal strokes.
      ◾Click and Go Insertion and Removal? Absolutely, as easy as ever, whether the fins are in the forward or the reverse position.
      ◾Performance? It’s equally efficient in reverse as it is in forward, giving the sensation of flying over the water.

Other important features of the MD-180:
      ◾Fin and Mast Redesign: ◾The all-new Fin design features great efficiency; stronger, more durable fins for even greater impact resistance; and a clean, new look.
      ◾Available in both ST-length and Turbo Fins —- there will be no change in the models that include the Turbo Fins as Standard Equipment.
      ◾Turbo-Fin Upgrade Kits will be available this Fall through Parts and Accessories. It is not possible to put the new fins on an old drive because of the design changes made to facilitate reverse.
      ◾The new Mast is a larger diameter, which provides more strength, with more resistance to bending on impact.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Thanks, Ryan. That clears up a lot. Whether you are in love with the new improvements or hate them, you have to admit, that this is an exciting time to be a kayak angler. Seeing all these companies come out with new and more advanced products is great.
        Last edited by RavensDfense; 07-13-2016, 12:31 PM.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
        Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

I am interested to see what happens with prices now that more competitors are getting into the pedal game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
            Here is some more info on the MD 180 that I found on SOL:
            This week, Hobie Cat Company will be unveiling the most exciting change and significant improvement to the Hobie MirageDrive since we introduced it in 1997: REVERSE! It is with great pride that we introduce the new, Patent Pending Hobie MirageDrive 180, a forward and reverse propulsion system that will be standard equipment on all 2017 Mirage Kayaks.

Hobie revolutionized the kayak market with our existing MirageDrive and its many features that have never been surpassed. Never one to sit on our laurels, we tasked our Engineering team to develop a reversing drive a while back and wow, did they deliver. From the early prototypes of the MirageDrive 180, we were all hooked on the functionality and the fun of being able to go backwards. Fishing, docking, wanting a second look at something … the best pedal propulsion system on the market just got even better.

The MirageDrive 180 allows shifting from forward to reverse instantly and effortlessly, just as you would expect from Hobie. With the ease of using just one finger, the easy-reach shifters attached to the MD-180 (as we affectionately refer to it) rotate the fins, and you are immediately in reverse; one more quick pull, and you are immediately going forward again. You can shift direction whether you are at a stop or while in motion! Doesn’t get any easier. Hobie Technology — Hobie Intuitive.

Let’s address some questions you may have:
            ◾Still beachable? Heck yes, exactly as before.
            ◾Shallow water? No problem —- you can still flutter-stroke right through the shallows — now in forward or reverse as you please!
            ◾Retrofittable to all previous Hobie Mirage® products sold? Oh, yeah! Modifications may be required on some earlier model kayaks for the proper fit.
            ◾Does it fit in all Mirage Kayak models, including the inflatables? But of course!
            ◾Hobie’s Glide Technology? Yep, the MD-180 still provides the smoothest, easiest ride on the water —- literally gliding with continuous motion while in between pedal strokes.
            ◾Click and Go Insertion and Removal? Absolutely, as easy as ever, whether the fins are in the forward or the reverse position.
            ◾Performance? It’s equally efficient in reverse as it is in forward, giving the sensation of flying over the water.

Other important features of the MD-180:
            ◾Fin and Mast Redesign: ◾The all-new Fin design features great efficiency; stronger, more durable fins for even greater impact resistance; and a clean, new look.
            ◾Available in both ST-length and Turbo Fins —- there will be no change in the models that include the Turbo Fins as Standard Equipment.
            ◾Turbo-Fin Upgrade Kits will be available this Fall through Parts and Accessories. It is not possible to put the new fins on an old drive because of the design changes made to facilitate reverse.
            ◾The new Mast is a larger diameter, which provides more strength, with more resistance to bending on impact.
            Thanks for the info! I love the idea but not crazy about how the new fins look. The fins we have now look really nice (stylized)... these look like they are still a prototype.

I love the idea of a stronger mast though....I've bent enough in my short Kayak years, to definitely appreciate that upgrade...
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I want to see how they hold up. That's more moving parts to maintain.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

has anyone ever really needed reverse? i guess when fishing a lake i may have used it, but the paddle worked
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                  has anyone ever really needed reverse? i guess when fishing a lake i may have used it, but the paddle worked
                  Rarely...

Occasionally I've ventured into downed branches to retrieve lures. I've paddled out. Actually, I've paddled into the branches also to protect my fins from obstructions in the water.

Nevertheless it's a nice innovation no doubt driven by demand and market competition. I believe the Native method of simply reversing your stroke is easier and more practical. It appears from the video you have to "shift" the Mirage Drive into reverse. Also as mentioned earlier, it's more moving parts to maintain.

I wish Hobie and the other makers would concentrate on reducing the weights of their kayaks rather than adding complexities to them that tend to increase maintenance requirements and weight.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

I wish Hobie and the other makers would concentrate on reducing the weights of their kayaks rather than adding complexities to them that tend to increase maintenance requirements and weight.
                    Yes! Totally agree there!
                    -Mustafa
                    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                    2016 Hobie Outback
                    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Hobie website claims the new 180 drive will add $150 to the MSRP of a single drive kayak or $300 to the price of a dual drive kayak...and the 180 drive will be available as a stand alone accessory by mid 2017...no price was given for the cost of the stand alone accessory to retro fit your kayak...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

This is money especially in freshwater. Imaging not having to paddle back from the grass line while fishing it. You could fight the fish and not ruin the spot after catching it.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                          Hobie website claims the new 180 drive will add $150 to the MSRP of a single drive kayak or $300 to the price of a dual drive kayak...and the 180 drive will be available as a stand alone accessory by mid 2017...no price was given for the cost of the stand alone accessory to retro fit your kayak...
                          Yeaaaaa I won't be shelling out any benjamins for reverse. I'd rather put that towards the torqeedo fund!
                          Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

I have had reverse in my Native Slayer Propels since 2014. I admit that I don't use it often, since I primarily troll from my pedal-drive kayaks. But there are times where it is very helpful. Good luck to the Hobie community as they introduce the new drive and work out any of the initial kinks. From what I have read, this year's I-Cast show features quite a few pedal-drive units from manufacturers that have not had that feature before. It will be interesting to see how well the new units work under real-world situations and where the final price points will be.
                            John Veil
                            Annapolis
                            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I have a Native Slayer with reverse, I acquired the boat through a connection, so I didn't have a choice per say, but I enjoy drifting out inlets along the rocks and at bridges, pedal up to the rocks or piling and just back away, never reaching for the paddle. I think these are very exciting times, Feel-Free, Johnson Outdoors, Wilderness, couple new electric options, Hobie didn't have reverse everyone else does, now they do, more options should help with choices and prices you would think. I just wish they would also focus on weight, I just picked up a 2016 OK Trident 11 for river running and playing around, it was very refreshing to carry that 54lb. boat into the garage by carrying with just one hand......Jack

Comment

I have a Native and I use the reverse all the time to hold position while casting to the bank. I don't keep a full sized paddle on the deck and between the F/R drive and a small hand paddle, I have never wanted for maneuverability.

I will also sometimes, when having flirted with dusk too much and on water with little/no power boats, will speed peddle in reverse to race back to the launch. I feel like I have more strength when peddling in reverse and it seems to help un-knot my legs somehow.
                                Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
                                Lime Slayer 10

Comment

Working...
                                X