Jonas green on Thursday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jonas green on Thursday

Launching thursday morning at Jonas Green Pk around 7:00 am. All welcome to join in.
    Harry

John Rentch and I met up with Harry (On the fly) this morning. Our plan was to fish primarily for perch in various tributaries of the Severn and to troll for stripers in the big river as we ventured from inlet to inlet. We launched at 7:00 a.m.

Here they are – John in his Native Propel and Harry in his brand new lime green Jackson Cuda:

P1010789.jpg P1010780.jpg

Trolling was not fruitful today. It yielded only 3 dink stripers for me. They were hardly bigger than the X-Rap they hit.

I did much better casting 1/8 oz. jig spinners. I used a green and yellow spinner and a red and white one. Both produced fish.

I caught 19 white perch, most were 8 to 9 inches but I got three nice ones:

P1010781.jpg P1010783.jpg P1010786.jpg

I released them all.

I also got this striper in 4 feet of water tight to shore -- white jig spinner with red bucktail. It’s always fun to hook a decent striper with a light rod and reel. I think of them as bonus perch.

P1010784.jpg

Later I caught this pickerel.

P1010787.jpg

This was my spinner post pickerel.

P1010788.jpg

I did most of the damage to it with my forceps extracting it from the pickerel’s bony jaw. I straightened the hook and caught 9 more perch with it.

We visited 5 tributaries combined and traveled slightly over 9.5 miles. It was certainly hot but there was a steady breeze that felt real nice in the shade. And as in past trips this summer, shaded areas yielded the most fish. As the sun climbed higher in the sky, shade got hard to find and our catch rates diminished.

By noon I was exhausted and headed in. I was really hoping for a yellow perch to have a full Severn Slam. But that was not to be. Instead I left with the bases loaded – striper, white perch and pickerel.

Nevertheless, it was an excellent outing given the temperatures exceeding 90 degrees and it was great to see Harry on the water again in his new ride.
    Last edited by Mark; 07-14-2016, 03:23 PM.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Mark - Good outing. You got the Severn slam and covered a lot of water. I look forward to joining you guys next week.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Yes a good morning and water was pretty flat. Was able to catch 8 perch and two perch sized stripers. Trolled the Severn itself with no success.

Comment

Working...
        X