video for the Wilderness Systems Radar kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• video for the Wilderness Systems Radar kayak

not available till early next year but it looks like it will come in a 11.5 and 13.5 foot versions

https://www.facebook.com/kayakfishma...2049458214859/
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

That looks like a great kayak Dave. I'm getting very interested in something with a pedal drive. Would love to expand my fishing range at Rocky Gorge and Triadelphia. I'm sure this boat will be out of my budget though, but it is fun to dream. Will you get one?

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
      That looks like a great kayak Dave. I'm getting very interested in something with a pedal drive. Would love to expand my fishing range at Rocky Gorge and Triadelphia. I'm sure this boat will be out of my budget though, but it is fun to dream. Will you get one?
      Oddly enough all this propulsion technology (pedals, electric motors, etc.) getting packed into a kayak does not appeal to me personally. I am actually looking at a Tarpon 130X as I am interested in a kayak that paddles extremely well (speed on lakes, maneuverability on rivers like the Potomac and Susquehanna). I will take the new and improved seats and the pods for fish finder installation and pass on the other innovations. At least that is my thought at the moment!
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Wow, lots of features. It seems to this untrained person, that the hull is designed for fresh water (e.g. small waves). The hull design will allow lots of weight, maneuverability, but I'd think it would rock a great deal.

The higher seat makes perfect sense with fresh water, but causes the boat to rock so much more (e.g. higher center of gravity). I got my Ride with the high seat. I was so tippy that I traded the seat with another guy who did mainly fresh water fishing.

Thanks so much for sharing the video.

Best Regards,
        Stan
        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Hobie has enjoyed being top dog for quite a while. Let's see what they do next couple years with all this competition, because a mirage drive with reverse just isn't going to cut it.

Comment

Originally posted by echo5oscar View Post
            Hobie has enjoyed being top dog for quite a while. Let's see what they do next couple years with all this competition, because a mirage drive with reverse just isn't going to cut it.
            Someone was telling me that Hobie has been raising there prices for years--cause they had such a reputation in the drive market. If nothing else, it will be great for Hobie to worry they might be leap frogged.

Best Regards,
            Stan

Comment

I don't know about getting leap frogged, so to say, but the playing field is certainly being leveled out. Kind of curious of what else other manufacturers have that they are refining for next years release.

Like RavensD said....certainly is a exciting time to be a kayak angler!

Comment

Can't imagine what the weight of these yaks will be. Some of us are looking for lighter and these are not it. However, for those who don't mind the weight they are certainly providing more pedaling and motor options.

Comment

Wonder what the weight is, heavier I suspect.
                  John Rentch
                  Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                  Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

They are saying 82 lbs for the 115, and 92 lbs for the 135.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Desert Camo- Moken 14
                    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Originally posted by manlystanley View Post
                      Someone was telling me that Hobie has been raising there prices for years--cause they had such a reputation in the drive market. If nothing else, it will be great for Hobie to worry they might be leap frogged.

Best Regards,
                      Stan
                      Hobies prices have been some of the most expensive kayaks in roto moulded hulls, but their engineering has proven the test of time for reliability and durability- the mirage drive is incredibly efficient- my Outback is an absolute pig to paddle, yet I routinely put 15-20 miles on my GPS trolling for stripers...ask the Revo guys who have a more streamlined, easier paddled yak how easy it is to get where you want to go...I don't think Hobie will slip too much...
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

New upcoming Feel free Overdrive pedal system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j9VoMuXzBo&sns=em

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                          Hobies prices have been some of the most expensive kayaks in roto moulded hulls, but their engineering has proven the test of time for reliability and durability- the mirage drive is incredibly efficient- my Outback is an absolute pig to paddle, yet I routinely put 15-20 miles on my GPS trolling for stripers...ask the Revo guys who have a more streamlined, easier paddled yak how easy it is to get where you want to go...I don't think Hobie will slip too much...
                          Interesting. I never realized that the same yak can be a pig to paddle, but a breeze to peddle.

I'd like to get a peddle drive, but I am just to cheap to buy one. Maybe it's just wishful thinking on my part. It seems to me, that boats seem to depreciate much quicker then yaks do. It would be nice if a market shakeup came down and there were lots of cheap used peddle drive yaks to buy.

But, then I'm also hoping for the Red Skins to win another super-bowl .....

Best Regards,
                          Stan

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                            I agree totally. I don't see their prices slipping at all; unfortunately. With more and more advanced engineering (from all companies), a large loyal following, and a pedal drive that is totally different (and more efficient, IMO) than all other competitors, it just isn't likely that they'll reduce prices. When I bought my first Outback in 2011, I paid $1749 for it new. That almost $1000 less than what a new 2017 will retail for. Crazy.

As far as other companies go, specifically Wilderness; they aren't going to be too much cheaper. Sure the Radar has a lower MSRP, but that doesn't include the pedals or motor drive. I fished with my friend Adam last night who is on Wilderness Systems Pro Staff and he said the entire Helix package (motor and peddle option) is over $4,000. So regardless of the brand, it appears you're going to pay to peddle or motor along. One a positive note, he did say the MSRP of the Perception Pescador is only $1799, so there is at least one kayak that has that 2011 feel to it.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
                            Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
                            2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Ultimately, the marketplace drives what products are offered.

But I have to wonder what market the pedal driven kayak companies are responding to. Are they overshooting their target? Every “bell and whistle” as referred to here recently in another thread adds weight. At some point, they will create a boat that can only reach the water by trailering. Hobie is there already with its PA series. Trailering (in AA county at least) significantly reduces the areas where you can launch.

My Revo’s hull is approximately 60 pounds. That’s why I bought it. At the time it was the lightest pedal driven boat on the market. But I can tell you that each year I creep past my 60th birthday that 60 pounds gets heavier, especially at the end of a lengthy outing. I used to own a Jackson Coosa as a secondary kayak. The Coosa was over 70 pounds. That boat sat in my garage in pristine condition primarily because of its weight. I replaced it this spring with a Native Ultimate that weighs 49 pounds and I have already used the Ultimate on more outings in three months than I used the Coosa in 3 years.

My second thought about new kayak offerings concerns pricing. The younger kayakers who are strong enough to wrestle these heavier boats are probably less able to afford them due their present career positions and family situations than older guys like me who can afford them but cannot easily handle a hull that weighs 70 pounds or more. Frankly, a better value in my opinion if I wanted an affordable fishing boat I could stand in, move with electric power, and embellish with electronics, is an aluminum car top or a small trailered Jon boat from Bass Pro. They cost less than many of the new kayak offerings.

The good news is that the paddle kayak market still provides many light basic boats to choose from. The Ultimate is an example. But the pedal market is heading in the wrong direction in my opinion – boats too large with too many pre-staged areas in their molds trying to accommodate every after-market rigging possibility. Those things add cost and weight in my opinion more than utility.

In fact, I probably would not replace my 2012 Revo should it fail. The newer Revos have gotten heavier in recent years to accommodate new seating and new rigging options. There are no other pedal models presently on the market that I think I can transport. Even some pedal models lighter than new Revos are wider in the beam making them awkward for me to lift. I am at my upper limits physically with my Revo.

John Veil mentioned that Native is working on lighter pedal models and that is a major step in the right direction in the pedal market. I hope other makers take the cue.
                              Mark
                              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X