Sharp hooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharp hooks

I fished a perch tournament this week end- and only had a couple of hits that were not hookups- lucky? Maybe, but I cheat...yep, I take the extra step to sharpen factory hooks right out of the package- I use a small file to triangulate the points on all but the Eagle Claw Lazer hooks and the Diachi needle points...those are two hooks that are sharp right out of the package- my hooks are dangerously sharp- and I am anal about sharp hooks- a hold over from my days shark fishing 16/0 welded eye tuna hooks on number 9 galvanized machine chain...we sharpened those hooks so they cut paper...on small baits with Ultra Light tackle you cannot drive the hooks with a hard set for risk breaking the fish off- therefore very sharp hooks are vital...yeah, I know exposing bare metal to salt water causes the hooks to rust, but hooks are cheap compared to the cost of a fishing trip where one good fish makes the trip worthwhile...just a tip from a old fisherman- you want to catch more fish? Sharpen your hooks-
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Good advice.

My fly fishing mentor showed me years ago that brand new hooks were often not sharp.

I carry a stone with me and hit the tips of mine before and during outings.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

This is one thing I need to get in the habit of doing. I can't tell you the amount of times I've looked into a old box with just old rusty hooks. Do you keep a sharpener with you on the water, or do your prep work before going out? Also is there a sharper you recommend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Desert Camo- Moken 14
      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I have a small triangular file I use- usually file my hooks sharp before I go out, but I have a sharpening stone on my knife sheath that has a hook groove in it that I can touch up hooks- I changed out all my old rusted hooks this year with new hooks and sharpened them at the kitchen table before I put them on the lures- on all my XRaps I used Eagle Claw 4X Lazer trebles- the hook that gives us all the bad hookups are the jighead hooks- they are usually dull..a few strokes of the file fixes that-
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by FishMoken View Post
          Do you keep a sharpener with you on the water, or do your prep work before going out? Also is there a sharper you recommend?
          Yes. I carried this sharpener many years in my fly fishing vest and now it rides along in my kayaks so I can file my hooks during outings. You can tell it's old by the rusty split ring.

P1010801.jpg

I wish I could tell you the brand or where I got it. I cannot remember either.

But if you get a stone, sharpen your hooks in the direction of the arrow I have drawn in the photo. I know that seems counter intuitive but filing in that direction puts a puts a piercing point on your hooks.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
          X