No announcement yet.

Need input for trip to the outer banks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need input for trip to the outer banks.

Warning Incoming wall of text........

Next week cant come fast enough and I'm sitting here trying to go over what i will need to prepare for, buy or bring with me. Lets start with what i will be targeting while down there in Corolla, NC.

1. Kings Macs and Cobia's out front.

This all depends on my ability or in-ability to get thru the surf zone. This will be my first attempt at a surf launch. I have watched every video i came across on surf launching but I'm still very nervous about this. Not a fear of bodily or equipment damage but more of a fear of a vacationer catching my flailing attempts of launching and me becoming an infamous star on YouTube.

I will be taking full advantage of my trident and storing everything under deck and in waterproof dry bags. The only item i will have on top of the kayak will be the empty Live well.

Question #1 - Should keep the rudder up or down when launching?

Seeing my kayak is a battleship at 15.7' it is not very nimble at making quick changes in direction. The rudder will help me with this a bit but I'm worried if i take a wave and turtle it might rip off in the wipeout. Although if i cant get the bow back into the waves quickly i will windup with the same wipeout situation. This is a catch 22 for me now.

Now for the tackle and strategy. My plan after getting thru the surf is to locate some live bait. My best case scenario is finding some small blues and from past trips they are pretty easy to find early in the morning just off the beach. But what if i cant find the blues?

Question #2 - What other live bait options are around that area?

I figured if i busted on my attempts at getting blues i would target some small bottom fish. I'm not sure if Pinfish are up in that area and do people catch them away from hard structure like piers and channel markers? I guess i could look for spot, croaker or small kingfish.

Question #3 - What type of wire and rig should i use to slow troll and drift a live Bait?

I was planning to make some wire king rigs with a 1/0 live bait nose hook and a #4 treble stinger hook. Is there any particular brand and size wire i should be looking for? I was going to try stranded wire and tie figure 8 knots but would i be better served going with single strand and sticking with haywire twists?

Question #4 - Would a balloon or large float work better for drifting a live bait?

I have used balloons and large floats in the past but what is the preferred method of drifting a live bait like a bluefish? I figured the balloons would be easier and allow me to take them off quickly if i need to let the bait get down deeper.

Question #5 - How much space should there be between the float (balloon) and bait?

I plan on using around 4ft of 40lb fluoro connected to 2ft of wire. How close to the bait should i place the float. I want to keep the bait close to the surface but i don't want a balloon scaring weary fish away.

Question #6 - Surf Landings?

I think I'm more nervous about coming in than getting out. What is the best method of surf landing? How do you time the point in which you ride the wave? I know i don't want to be on top of a breaker so do i need to follow a wave and get into the wash after it has broke? Do you get in the trough after a wave has broke and paddle like hell to get ahead of the next wave and ride the wash in? I have never surfed and my only experience riding in waves comes from body surfing and boogie boarding in my youth. My last resort will be swimming in with the boat and it dragging me behind it.

Question #7 - Options for handling big fish

Since I'm being optimistic about even getting thru the surf lets imagine i hooked and landed a big King or cobia. I will have my Ball Peen hammer for a quick dispatch of my foe but what will i do with it now? I can get a king into my rod pod but a big cobia will be a problem. If i do manage one of these feats and intend to keep the fish i will be making a beeline back to shore. My tank well is out of the question do to the live well and my front hatch will be filled with my cart. I thought about bringing some para cord and running it through the gills, wrapping a wet towel around the fish and using the deck eye's to strap it down. I don't want to drag a large fish on a stringer because that's asking for a shark to get close and personal with you. And if i was fortunate enough to achieve all the above tasks losing a fish in the surf zone on a landing wipe out would leave me bitter and disappointed in myself. Whats the best option to handle this?

Question #8 - What safety equipment should i bring with me?

I will have the following items with me when i make the attempt to get out of the surf.

- Extra Paddle
    - VHF
    - Signal Mirror
    - Whistle
    - First Aid kit
    - Extra Water
    - Extra Knife
    - Cell Phone
    - Para Cord
    - Duck Tape

What am i missing? I don't want to run into an issue and not be prepared.

2. Reds, flounders and Specs in area behind Oregon inlet.

I'm pretty sure i have this one covered with the normal gulp selections. Is there any thing i should key in on while fishing this area? I was planning on hitting the channels between the islands and flats adjacent to channels. I would like to try for some sheepshead at the bridge there but that current in Oregon inlet scares me.

I appreciate any input you fine people can provide.

#2 sounds pretty covered, I just posted on Pinch's thread about places I've fished down there. Work the rocks around the jetty's thoroughly. We used grubs and gulp and had about the same success. There are tons of pinfish back there to steal your bait. I think I had some sharks or big blues tear them up when I freelined a few. Came back with part of the head or part of the back, you know the part where the hook is?!

For #1...

My advice, rudder up no question. NC beaches are hard because you can have multiple bars to get over before you're out of the breakers. If you can find a clear shot start with kayak nose handle in your dominant hand, paddle (I go leash free) in your other hand. Watch the waves and wait for the biggest wave of the set (I think they come in 7's?). As soon as you see this wave standing up, run and drag your kayak till you hit knee deep, slide it forward and lean your butt into the seat. Paddle like hell. Keep paddling like hell. Then paddle like hell some more. If it's one of the multiple bar beaches and it's shallow, then you're going to have to drag it out to the last bar and wait for your window. It'll be harder to get going forward out there though. When I was in topsail I played around by just going with a plain kayak, no seat and paddle. Swimming it out past the last sand bar and getting in was fine. Getting back in was interesting bc I bottomed out on a sandbar after surfing a wave. I just got out and walked it back after that.

The paddling to remember in the situation should you start to turn would be what you'd use in a rapid on a river. If DIG! If you start to get broadside in a wave, let's say on your right side, do not paddle left side. Instead reach on your right side into the wave and lean into it and paddle down. This will pull you into the wave, but you won't flip bc it will be like a wall. Just ride it out and try again.

Coming in is harder to judge when you get the big wave. Pretty much no matter what you'll end up surfing a wave, the wash of a wave, or both, so be ready for it. Again, leaning into the wave will keep you from dumping. Seems counter intuitive, but when you get flipped sideways and are about to dump, make sure you lean into it. If you paddle on the non wave side you'll shift your weight and will roll hard. Rolling in shallow water with a kayak flipping down on you sucks. Also, be careful with your paddle, my buddy snapped his while flailing with his kayak going nose down (pearling I think they call it). To avoid that, lean back and dig your paddle behind you. Dig too hard you do a 180, so be ready to switch sides!!!

For the fish part, sounds like you have the right idea about bait. Kingfish, pinfish, and small croakers should be around on the bottom if not. Why not strap the cobia to your rodpod and keep it between your legs? I have some deckloops I put in my rod pod for lashing stuff down and I even put a bungee on there. That would be my plan if I couldn't fit it below or in the tankwell.

Jim Sammons does a pretty decent talk about surf launching. Just don't stop paddling!!!
    Last edited by Redfish12; 07-22-2011, 02:43 PM.
    Used to fish more.

Comment

Redfish,
      Thanks for the detailed info on surf launches and landings. I remember bracing paddling from my white water days many years ago. Although that was in a canoe and not a kayak the same rules apply. I have convinced my self that I will not stop paddling forward when hitting a wave and to make sure a paddle blade is in the water when said wave hits. I forgot about the second bar in that area. I guess its better to have that then have the waves crashing 10 ft from shore. Hopefully the area we are staying has a nice rip thru the bars.

The fish on the rod pod is kind of the idea I was going for. Although I was going to use the pad eyes on the gunnels of the boat. Now thinking about that I don’t like the idea of a spider web of Para cord crossing my legs. I guess I could use the existing pod straps as a base to tie the Para cord too and run the tag end to one of the eyes on the gunnels. That way if the straps failed I would have a solid oh Sh@t tie down if the fish and rod pod cover left the boat. Of course this is all speculation based on the kindness of the fishing gods.
      Hell I would take a story of a large cobia ripping off my rod pod on a gnarly surf wipeout any day. As long as the fish and pieces of my boat made it back to shore.

Thanks again.

Comment

You got it. Add flares and ductseal and I think you can survive a shark encounter too!

So ball peen hammer to the head... But how will you grab it to be still? Gaff? Or heavy leader?

Might add some snacks, nuts and coconut juice maybe. Stuff is way better than bananas and not unlucky. I would also say you should have a crippled herring, gotcha or two, and a couple of plugs for king mac. I think cobes will hit bucktails with eel like trailers so might be good to throw one of those in too incase the man in the brown suit comes around and you don't have bait. Sabiki's should also be handy.

I think that should help? Watch you hook into a tarpon or something crazy!!!
        Used to fish more.

Comment

go fish the triangle wrecks around mile marker 7, its marked as a dive site, triggers, mac, flounder, blues, and tog, same with the tug sunk by the nags head pier, usually has spades on it as well, watch for divers, triggers are delicious, although the hide is toughest skin you will ever see. Time you exit to come in between the wave sets, surfing is a great way to do an endo, plus if you match speed w/ a wave you lose stability. bulls and tigers all over the place off the beach too, so careful with those. Oregon inlet (if you dare-dont doit solo) sheeps head on the pilings-you can also try the research pier for them as well. Have a blast!

Comment

Tell you what I have always used for Kings and Cobia live bait fishing- about four feet of #9 tobacco colored single strand fishing wire- black swivel to attach the wire to mono or braid lines- I use a 4/0 short shank live bait hook with about 5-6 inches to the 4/0 or 5/0 trailer treble hook- Tie the small ballon directly to the swivel- blow it up pretty tight-when a king hits it, the drag through the water will burst the ballon-I mostly use a cast net to catch bait- spot, tailor blues, thread fin herring, menhaden, corn cob mullet, pigfish, pinfish, small jacks, even trout have caught Hatteras Island King Mackerel for me- the only Cobia I have caught from a fishing pier ate a big spot- with Cobia, they are notorious about spitting bait- they take the bait then spit it out then take it again- they will take a banana colored tube eel- sight casting to them can be a very productive way to catch them. Around piers on the pilings threadfin herring can be caught jigging tiny multiple gold hook rigs.... and kings are crazy for threadfins-

Around boat docks in the marinas you can catch lots of bait with a cast net- keeping it all alive is another story-

You don't have to go very far off the beach to catch big Spanish Mackerel, Kings and Cobia- think about the total distance of a fishing pier- they catch kings and cobia off piers all the time in summer months- and an occasional tarpon- all on the same rigs and same baits-
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 07-22-2011, 09:37 PM.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
              You got it. Add flares and ductseal and I think you can survive a shark encounter too!

So ball peen hammer to the head... But how will you grab it to be still? Gaff? Or heavy leader?

Might add some snacks, nuts and coconut juice maybe. Stuff is way better than bananas and not unlucky. I would also say you should have a crippled herring, gotcha or two, and a couple of plugs for king mac. I think cobes will hit bucktails with eel like trailers so might be good to throw one of those in too incase the man in the brown suit comes around and you don't have bait. Sabiki's should also be handy.

I think that should help? Watch you hook into a tarpon or something crazy!!!
              Ahh i knew i missed something. Duct seal.

I'm not sure about getting the fish within hammer range. I could man up and grab the sucker by the bottom lip like a bass and brain it midevil style. Or i more than likely i will site there staring at in by the boat for 20 mins.

I planned to grab it with my lip gripper and start pulling it over my outstretched leg while bashing its head in with my hammer. Hopefully i wont miss the fish and hit my knee.

I'm not sure about a king mac. I know i don't want it razor sharp teeth anywhere near my jewels or legs so i might have to dispatch it in the water some how. maybe grab it by the tail and hag its head over the water while administering due justice. Or most likely i will let it go after some pics. I'm not a big fan of king mac steaks anyhow. Little too gamey for my tastes.

I will have a lite rig with a metal for blues and Spanish and another heaver rig with a large plug or jig for any large swimmers coasting around me.

Comment

Originally posted by dhmjd View Post
                go fish the triangle wrecks around mile marker 7, its marked as a dive site, triggers, mac, flounder, blues, and tog, same with the tug sunk by the nags head pier, usually has spades on it as well, watch for divers, triggers are delicious, although the hide is toughest skin you will ever see. Time you exit to come in between the wave sets, surfing is a great way to do an endo, plus if you match speed w/ a wave you lose stability. bulls and tigers all over the place off the beach too, so careful with those. Oregon inlet (if you dare-dont doit solo) sheeps head on the pilings-you can also try the research pier for them as well. Have a blast!
                Ohh i love me some trigger fish. How far off the beach are the wrecks? I have seen the shadow of the wreck off the pier before. That's another good option. I see the Boiler wreck off of Pea island is a short paddle. I might try that as well if time permits. Its a long drive to the inlet from where we are staying up in corolla.

I am a bit worried about the sharks around there. I'm sure i will tangle with some while floating live baits around. I'm just going to break them off after some video. I'm not messing with those dudes in a Kayak.

The Inlet its self is a no-no for me. I'm not even getting near the bridge in case the lure of sheephead override my better judgement. I have seen power boats struggling in the current there and i want no part of that. I plan on fishing the islands and cuts to the north and south of the inlet. I might hit some channel markers back there. Maybe there will be a lost sheepie hanging around them.

Thanks for the landing tips. I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Cant wait to get there and make a fool of myself.

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                  Tell you what I have always used for Kings and Cobia live bait fishing- about four feet of #9 tobacco colored single strand fishing wire- black swivel to attach the wire to mono or braid lines- I use a 4/0 short shank live bait hook with about 5-6 inches to the 4/0 or 5/0 trailer treble hook- Tie the small ballon directly to the swivel- blow it up pretty tight-when a king hits it, the drag through the water will burst the ballon-I mostly use a cast net to catch bait- spot, tailor blues, thread fin herring, menhaden, corn cob mullet, pigfish, pinfish, small jacks, even trout have caught Hatteras Island King Mackerel for me- the only Cobia I have caught from a fishing pier ate a big spot- with Cobia, they are notorious about spitting bait- they take the bait then spit it out then take it again- they will take a banana colored tube eel- sight casting to them can be a very productive way to catch them. Around piers on the pilings threadfin herring can be caught jigging tiny multiple gold hook rigs.... and kings are crazy for threadfins-

Around boat docks in the marinas you can catch lots of bait with a cast net- keeping it all alive is another story-

You don't have to go very far off the beach to catch big Spanish Mackerel, Kings and Cobia- think about the total distance of a fishing pier- they catch kings and cobia off piers all the time in summer months- and an occasional tarpon- all on the same rigs and same baits-
                  Thanks for the info.

I think i'm going to copy your suggested setup. I like the flexibility of the multi strand wire and ability to reuse after catching a fish but the single strand is much more stealthy. I will just tie up several rigs and discard them if one kinks or I'm fortunate enough to hook one.

How do you tie the balloon to the swivel? Do you blow it up first, Knot it and pull the knot thru the swivel eye? Or do you tie it around the upper eye after inflating it?

I thought about digging thru the attic and pulling out the old cast net but i have know idea how i would keep the baits alive in transit to the surf.

I'm sticking within a mile from the shore and either drifting if the wind is right or slow trolling the baits. I will be scanning the water the whole time for Spanish with a rod and a metal in my hand.

All this sounds great i just hope the weather is good and i can get thru the surf.

Another Question - What is the preferred wind direction down there?

Would a West or Southwest be a good thing? I figure it would lay the surf down some and bring the clearer water closer to shore. Is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by mmanolis2001 View Post
                    Thanks for the info.

I think i'm going to copy your suggested setup. I like the flexibility of the multi strand wire and ability to reuse after catching a fish but the single strand is much more stealthy. I will just tie up several rigs and discard them if one kinks or I'm fortunate enough to hook one.

How do you tie the balloon to the swivel? Do you blow it up first, Knot it and pull the knot thru the swivel eye? Or do you tie it around the upper eye after inflating it?

I thought about digging thru the attic and pulling out the old cast net but i have know idea how i would keep the baits alive in transit to the surf.

I'm sticking within a mile from the shore and either drifting if the wind is right or slow trolling the baits. I will be scanning the water the whole time for Spanish with a rod and a metal in my hand.

All this sounds great i just hope the weather is good and i can get thru the surf.

Another Question - What is the preferred wind direction down there?

Would a West or Southwest be a good thing? I figure it would lay the surf down some and bring the clearer water closer to shore. Is this correct?
                    SW or West wind is best- NE is killer- roughs up quickly- keep an eye out this time of year sees waterspouts- I blow up the balloon, pinch it off and feed the stem through the eye of the swivel and use a single overhand knot- I really like fresh King Mackerel on the grill with lemon butter- it taste very much like a Spanish Mackerel, which is also very tasty- Cobia is the best of all (in my opinion) I absolutely love it- Fried, broiled, grilled- it doesn't matter- Cobia is great table fare-

Small spinner or blacktip sharks are delicious as well- steak them and cook on the grill with lemon juice salt, pepper and butter- yumm...and you will be in a prime spinner shark habitat around the Outer Banks-
                    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                    X