Ray question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray question

After a recent trip to Ocean City I was questioning myself if I really put in enough effort to find fish....I drifted for flounder south of the 50 bridge behind assiteague island. I tried gulp on a jig, minnows on a flounder rig, and also squid on the same rig. The only catch was 3 rays, 2 cow nose and one sting ray. My question is if rays are in a area is it a better bet to move out of that area and fish else where? I tried to jog the 50 bridge for a bit but the current was moving to fast for my 1oz jig to reach the bottom. For all you salt guys and gals, how do you stay productive, and on target for fish? More run and gun, keep drifting the same area? This is semi new to me as far as kayaking the saltwater. Fished mostly lakes before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

I've been in the same situation as you. Now that I have a little more experience, it seems that when the current is low at the bridge the fish are on. When the current is tougher I move to the ocean side of Assatuege.

The current is so strong at times that I've tried 7oz of weight and there was no chance that I was even touching the bottom.
    2016 Ascend H12

Comment

I don't worry too much about rays. I caught all sorts of awesome bait fish in Chincoteague last weekend, and there were some big rays hanging out in the area I was fishing.

I focus more on bait. I've been going to the Outer Banks since I could crawl and hands down the best indicator of a good fishing day is a plethora of bait. If I can toss out a top n bottom rig n hook up with smaller fish quickly, I'm most likely gonna tangle with some nice bigger species.

If nothing is around to hit fish bites, nothing is around to hit the fish that hits fish bites.

So like you said, if they ain't there keep moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Zack
      Camo 2014 OK Trident Ultra 4.7
      Blue 2015 Ascend FS12T
      "WV RiverRat" on Youtube.

Comment

Working...
      X